Mississauga Steelheads 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019

Steelheads 194th overall pick in 2019. Has played just 20 U18 AAA games since getting drafted. There has to be a story here?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I was really looking forward to what the cancelled season might have been for the Steelheads.

Tough one, they had a really strong group of OA's and 01's especially at the top end. I'm glad that all of the Steelheads drafted players were able to get some AHL experience this year, should help them in their careers going forward

Reactions: Tarantula

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018

Steelheads 194th overall pick in 2019. Has played just 20 U18 AAA games since getting drafted. There has to be a story here?

A lot of guys like this may show up out of nowhere with the lost season. He may have been a strong Junior A player last year but we'll never know

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A lot of guys like this may show up out of nowhere with the lost season. He may have been a strong Junior A player last year but we'll never know

He could still have a role with the team. Even if the Steelheads add an OA and Misa to the group, that probably only takes out Stubbs and Bowers from the lineup. Chisholm may be able to compete with Del Bel Belluz and Dodig for a spot and there are not a ton of other internal 03's, 04's, or 05's who really jump off the page as additional competition for those spots right onw.

Worst case, I imagine he almost certainly latches on with a QMJHL team. They love sourcing their big-bodied failed OHLers and many of them end up having very productive 3-year careers there.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Going to be crazy going into this season, for everybody. I think our four top picks from the 2020 draft committed who haven't touched a puck or even skated in a OHL game, plus this years draft was not overwhelming. We also need a couple of imports, goaltending. The Blue and White game will absolutely require the line up sheet this year.

Speaking of goal, this is Joe Ranger's senior year. I really like him, he did have some moments, but he did not look comfortable during his sophomore season. Wonder what JR has in mind.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019

Turns out the kid had a serious injury in 2019-2020. Given how little he has played, and only at U18, pretty impressive that he is turning heads in Erie. Look forward to seeing if he gets an invite to camp.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Speaking of goal, this is Joe Ranger's senior year. I really like him, he did have some moments, but he did not look comfortable during his sophomore season. Wonder what JR has in mind.

I would say starting goalie is priority #1 right now. Of course defense as well if the Imports are not back, but otherwise I think you caan

Hardie - Prueter - Collins
Del-Bel-Belluz - Portokalis - Lavoie
Dodig - Beck - Christy
Bowers - Misa - Veccia
Stubbs

Bjorvik-Holm - Del Mastro
Larsen - Sharpe
Penman - Spence
Callaghan

Ranger
Dilauro

Chisholm may factor in as an 03', but I think that is it for 03's unless Rosenthal/Jeffers come in. Buzziol, Binnie, Adkins, MacDonald, Harley, Behrens, Durzi and Gordon are all question marks. MacDonald would be interesting (large, American LW who is the son of a Steelheads scout).

There is one open OA spot to put somewhere and I think reasonably you look at a top 6 forward, a starting goalie, and maybe a bottom pairing RD while also making Callaghan and Ranger available for trade (or potentially released).

You probably need to spend the OA spot on a goalie unless you open up an Import spot, because there are not too many non-import/OA goalies on the market right now. One option could be to swap Bjorgvik-Holm with Roger/Keane from London. London has two open spots and Bjorgvik-Holm is better than anything they can get with their 2nd Import pick (plus he can replace Steklov and would be a great partner for Mailloux). Roger/Keane can slot into the top 4 RD alongside Del Mastro. Import goalie options include Carl Lindbom, Patrik Hamrla, Tomas Suchanek, Isak Posch, and Arseni Sergeyev.

Sergeyev would be my top choice personally... He has no NCAA commitment, he has favourable numbers in the NAHL to the point where I think an NHL team drafts him, and he has some good size. Lindbom would also be great, but not entirely sure he commits to the CHL. Not as confident in the pair of Czechs and Posch may be more likely to go the USHL route than Sergeyev.

If an Import spot is spent on a goalie, then I would spend the OA spot on a top 6 forward. Soo has a ton of great OA forwards and not enough spots for them. If you can get Kartye/Carroll out of them, that is a solid forward group for next year. Could also send Ranger their way since they may need a goalie with some experience.

Finally, bottom pairing RD may just be an open competition to start the year. Would be interested to see if Jeffers or Rosenthal are interested in joining the team. Two large American 03' RD's who attended prospect camp in 2019. Would be a huge boost to get even one of them to commit. Spence can rotate in as a #7 and Callaghan can be moved as mentioned earlier.

Kartye/Carroll - Portokalis - Lavoie
Del-Bel-Belluz - Beck - Christy
Dodig - Misa - Veccia
Bowers/Stubbs

Del Mastro - Keane/Roger
Larsen - Sharpe
Penman - Jeffers/Rosenthal
Spence

Sergeyev/Lindbom
Dilauro

It lacks that true high end talent, but I think it can go places. It is deep from top to bottom and it does not require selling too many assets.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, a starting tender is the biggest spot to fill now, no question. I would have liked to see how Ranger did last year with another year as BUG. I think game experience would have been a huge benefit, thought he had issues settling down during his sophomore season.

I assumed we would be looking at 2 new imports assuming we won't be seeing Ole Holm back, he would be AHL eligible, no? Some of the nuances of the import rules slip by me.

U18 draft coming up, not a lot of earth shakes with these past drafts but with the strange world we lived in the past year who knows.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Del-Bel-Belluz - Portokalis - Lavoie
Dodig - Beck - Christy
Bowers - Misa - Veccia
Stubbs

Bjorvik-Holm - Del Mastro
Larsen - Sharpe
Penman - Spence
Callaghan

Ranger
Dilauro

Take a look at the possible roster yourself...

Last years edition would have been stronger, but this team still has some overall depth, especially if Ole Holm returns. Goaltending needs to be addressed, there is no true starter on the roster (yet). I expect to see a hard working team, not the most top end skilled, but with some depth that could lead to few extra playoff dates.

Barrie seems to be the favourite in the Central by most accounts...

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Passed on the first round of import draft? I hope this means Ole Holm
returns but I don't see the logic here. Why would you not take a pick?

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
They must have commitments from both Holm and Larsen that they'll both be here this year. The only other thing I can think of is if they held onto the rights for Lucas Raymond?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
He will be.. if COVID-19 allows it.

Good news, I know the O is more of a offence generated league but it helps having a good D corp.

Looks like they signed a FA, Cole's brother: Steelheads Sign Undrafted Kai Schwindt – Mississauga Steelheads

Quick excerpt: Originally from Breslau, Ontario, Schwindt played out his 2019-20 season with the Kitchener Jr. Rangers U18, and registered 20 points (10 goals, 10 assists) in 35 games during the campaign. The 6’3”, 183 lbs forward is Mississauga’s third signing in as many weeks.

He is a '03.

Would be fun to see him contribute, but I don't think he was even drafted in the U18 draft though.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Nice to see the Steelheads pick up another defenceman but I'm not a big fan of Brand unless he's improved his footspeed over the past year and a half. Penman would have been much better had he returned but nice to see him prioritize his education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad