Mississauga Steelheads 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Here is our second Top 5 for the 2019/20 season: Best Skater

We were spoiled in 'sauga the last few years with the MacLeod brothers. They set a very high standard for skating that this year's team could not easily replicate, but here goes:

1. Keean Washkurak - 9 points - remember the Hasbro game "Battling Tops"? Washer is kind of like one of those tops, when you touch him one of the two are likely to spin wildly out of the rink
2. Thomas Harley - 8 points - the only debate here is which musician best exemplifies his skating style - Barry White or Carlos Santana?
3. Nicholas Canade - 6 points - the Energizer Bunny of the team.
4. Cole Schwindt - 5 points - consistently quick for his size
5. Calvin Martin/Max Dodig - 1 point ea. - fifth place on this team could have gone to a number of players....this one is a toss up.

Washer has had issues with staying on his feet since he came into the league. He has made huge strides, pun intended, with three seasons of OHL hockey and three years of growing. You are correct, he lands hard, and usually along the boards as he looks for contact. He plays all 3 zones with zeal.

Schwinny really stood out the last third or so of the regular season as it played out. His name appeared on the scorers sheet on a consistent game basis and he seemed to have a fast set of wheels as well.

Harley is just a smooth player, good post about how he rubs out opponents, he isn't about to Scott Stevens anyone, but you can't do that anymore. His game looks to offense, but his quick hands and skating lead to a more subtle and effective defense as well. It has been fun to watch him develop over a short time.

Canade has been a leader it would seem like to me, I have no access to Billets, Players, etc. just a STH observation. He has played defense a few times when the team got stretched over the last 2 years, he has been tossed on the first line at times to spark things up as he does score a few goals. Canade to me is a special OHL player.

Really liked Edmonds, very steady and his rebound control was much better then some games previous. I would be OK with Edmonds returning as a OA goalie next season, with Canade and Whittaker as OA's next year.

I was getting geeked for this upcoming season before last season ended as it was!

Reactions: mtshapcott

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Lavoie Commits to Steelheads – Mississauga Steelheads

Some good news, first round choice signs with Mississauga.

Quote below from above link:

Selected 7th overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection, Lavoie registered an impressive 51 goals and 35 assists in 68 games with the Toronto Nationals this past season. The dynamic right-winger finished atop the GTHL with a point per game average of 1.33 and was a consistent offensive threat for the Nats all season long.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Washer has had issues with staying on his feet since he came into the league. He has made huge strides, pun intended, with three seasons of OHL hockey and three years of growing. You are correct, he lands hard, and usually along the boards as he looks for contact. He plays all 3 zones with zeal.

Schwinny really stood out the last third or so of the regular season as it played out. His name appeared on the scorers sheet on a consistent game basis and he seemed to have a fast set of wheels as well.

Harley is just a smooth player, good post about how he rubs out opponents, he isn't about to Scott Stevens anyone, but you can't do that anymore. His game looks to offense, but his quick hands and skating lead to a more subtle and effective defense as well. It has been fun to watch him develop over a short time.

Canade has been a leader it would seem like to me, I have no access to Billets, Players, etc. just a STH observation. He has played defense a few times when the team got stretched over the last 2 years, he has been tossed on the first line at times to spark things up as he does score a few goals. Canade to me is a special OHL player.

Really liked Edmonds, very steady and his rebound control was much better then some games previous. I would be OK with Edmonds returning as a OA goalie next season, with Canade and Whittaker as OA's next year.

I was getting geeked for this upcoming season before last season ended as it was!
RE: Canade
I don't get a chance to watch many Steelhead games, but he really stood out to me in a home game against the Knights. I remember watching the game on TV and saying to myself "where in the hell did that kid come from?" That's where the conversation with myself ended.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
RE: Canade
I don't get a chance to watch many Steelhead games, but he really stood out to me in a home game against the Knights. I remember watching the game on TV and saying to myself "where in the hell did that kid come from?" That's where the conversation with myself ended.

Canade, NicholasLWL5.091602000-03-07Mississauga, ONOHL - MISS (2016) Rd: 11 (#208)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Steelheads’ Nicholas Canade Named OHL Humanitarian of the Year – Mississauga Steelheads

Reactions: nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
My Instagram just reminded me that it was 3 years yesterday that we won the East. I believe it was 8-0 over the Petes in the final, but i could be mistaken.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Fun times, the true back breaker was the double OT game three. Mikey M got the winner, low scoring high intense 2-1 game. Put Sauga up 3-0 and The Petes seemed gassed once they fell behind in game 4.

I believe they were in last place over all as late as December. I don't think they lost more then 2 games from Mid Feb on. One as the postponed game ( Sportsnet game, new sponsor logo that caused ice issues) that was played at the end of the season, when they rested players and Sudbury had a reason to win.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
2019/20 Season - Best Shot
1. James Hardie - 10 points - not an Owen Tippet like power shot, but capable of finding the smallest holes
2. Thomas Harley/Cole Schwindt - 7 points ea. - Harley for placement; Schwindt for his fantastic one timers on the PP from very sharp angles
4. Keean Washkurak/Duncan Penman - 2 points ea. - Washer is the 3rd highest scorer :| "its hard not to include the 3rd highest scorer on the team"; Penman is good to blast a few through traffic from the blue line and will occasionally finish off a rush with a nice placement shot

hahaha....can you tell i disagreed with the justification to include Washkurak on the list? Dissension has started among the voters for these prestigious slots...it was bound to happen. The internet will decide this.....

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Shooting is one of those things were it seems like everyone has what they look for. A booming shot gets the eyes opened but shooting really come down to 3 factors. Timing, accuracy are the two main keys with strength 3rd on the list. Look at how many half slappers 99 scored, quick release, tender shuffling feet/position (timing), just inches between the pads or above a glove (accuracy) and just fast enough to cuff the goalie.

I was expecting a little more from Harley the past season in regards to shooting from the blueline. He tallied a few towards the end of 18/19 walking the blue line and firing a wrist shot through traffic ala Hauge. His shot seemed to fade some as the season went on, I remember a couple games where he didn't seem to have the same mustard. Who knows, maybe nicked something, didn't quite have the same shot?

Hardie just seemed to score as the season went on, and Schwinny as well. I would have to think both guys keep improving and both made huge strides last season I thought as it went along. Remember how many games Sauga out shot their opponents early in the year. They were putting more pucks in the net as the season wore on.

Huge Washer fan, 200 ft game, modeled his game from Mikey McLeod ( I predicted he would drop #92 and wear #9 after M McLeod aged), but he seems like he has quick hands close to the net as opposed to a drop dead shot. Probably one guy whose shot isn't the same factor in scoring as others, since he has a 3 zone game.

Penman had a couple games where he scored with some nice blasts from the blueline. He scored 6 goals during the previous seasons he played with Saginaw and a partial season 18/19 here. He got 10 last year including one game where he ripped a couple.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
totally agree....but it would seem not to make sense to say that Gretzky had a better shot than Tippet...i always giggled when Tippet missed the net because the sound of the puck hitting the boards was unlike anything from any other player in the league. I guess Tippet will just have to score 93 goals next season in Florida to validate my point :)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tippy had a rocket, and when he let one go clean it didn't matter what it hit, you heard it.

Ryan Mc #91 scored a few in a blink, quick release and with some snap, but I wouldn't think of him as having the hardest shot. Effective, he was bad news with the puck anywhere in front of the net with a clean handle.

Good discussion, glad to talk some Steelheads.

Mr Quincy

Apr 29, 2020
2019/20 Season - Best Shot
1. James Hardie - 10 points - not an Owen Tippet like power shot, but capable of finding the smallest holes
2. Thomas Harley/Cole Schwindt - 7 points ea. - Harley for placement; Schwindt for his fantastic one timers on the PP from very sharp angles
4. Keean Washkurak/Duncan Penman - 2 points ea. - Washer is the 3rd highest scorer :| "its hard not to include the 3rd highest scorer on the team"; Penman is good to blast a few through traffic from the blue line and will occasionally finish off a rush with a nice placement shot

hahaha....can you tell i disagreed with the justification to include Washkurak on the list? Dissension has started among the voters for these prestigious slots...it was bound to happen. The internet will decide this.....

That's a great list. It's hard to include those that aren't near the top in scoring. Obviously it's tough to convince people you have a great shot if it never goes in the net. I like the inclusion of Penman especially towards the "end" of the season as he began to add some offense to his game. If this was last year I might include Ham on the list, but not so much this year as he seemed a bit off.

No reason not to include Washer, he belongs on the list. He's a skill player and the Heads needed him to produce. I think he looked frustrated he wasn't producing more. Lots of shifts ended with him slamming his stick on the boards. I like the passion and his goal total didn't reflect his potential.

As for Hardie, he caught fire in the second half. The Heads worked so hard but struggled to put the puck in the net until he started to light the lamp almost at will. I'm stoked to see what he can do next year.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Season recap show on Saturday 8pm on sauga960am
special guests include: Ham, Zach Lavoie, Nic Hague & JR
word on the street is that Hague is upset his shot was not referenced above instead of Tippet's

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Was fortunate to see Hague zip a few from the blueline and into the back of the net. Sure had a rocket!

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Here is the last of our top 5 lists: Best Passing/Playmaker
1. Thomas Harley - 10 points - seems to play the game in slow motion at high speed if that makes any sense
2. Cole Schwindt - 6 points - fast and exciting player who creates a scoring chance on almost every shift
3. Keean Washkurak - 4 points - fast and exciting player who creates a scoring....you get the idea
3. Liam Ham - 4 points - the PP general from the blue line
3. Richard Whittaker - 4 points - a surprise inclusion here; credit must go to his work down low/behind the net always finding the open shooter

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Interesting show on Saturday night Sauga am960. First, the hosts were very good (Matt Cullen/Victor Finley). It can be challenging trying to get hockey players to say anything other than the standard canned responses.
JR was the highlight and he had the most allotted time out of the 1 hour. He implied they are looking for a Dman from the import draft. He is happy with his OA's (Edmonds, Canade, Whittaker) so i doubt there will be changes there. He suggested Missy could have two 100 point players next season - I'm guessing any two of Schwindt, Washkurak, Harley, or Hardie.
Nic Hague was also a good interview. Pretty cool hearing him describe his first (an only so far) NHL goal. He was asked about Harley a bit too much. They overlapped for 1 year, and i always find it a bit awkward when a player is being interviewed and asked questions about other players...he had the expected answers here...
Liam Ham will be (likely) playing at U of Guelph next year along with Nic Isaacson. I will have to catch them when they visit Ryerson.
and finally, Zach Lavoie (1st round; 7th overall) was interviewed. He sounds like he's a pure goal scorer with a big shot. Scored more goals in his minor midget year than any teammate had points.
Should be an interesting 20/21 season....

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He suggested Missy could have two 100 point players next season - I'm guessing any two of Schwindt, Washkurak, Harley, or Hardie.
Harley? It's been 10 years since any defenseman in the OHL scored 100 points (Ryan Ellis, and he averaged at least a point per game in all 4 of his seasons in the OHL). Harley hasn't averaged a point per game yet, including this past season. It would be great to witness, but I just don't see it.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Regan O'Grady has to hang them up, transverse myelitis.

Transverse myelitis is an inflammation of both sides of one section of the spinal cord. This neurological disorder often damages the insulating material covering nerve cell fibers (myelin). Transverse myelitis interrupts the messages that the spinal cord nerves send throughout the body.

I did see where he wasn't listed last season under hockey db, or perhaps a couple games. Tough break, hope his condition and symptoms aren't too bad or further degenerative.

A late like to HPops, the 3 forwards, Scwinny, Washer or Hardie would have to IMHO be the candidates JR was referring to.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Took a glance over the roster heading into (?) next season. Looks like the Trout are thin on right handed shots, both on forward and defense. If Holm returns, they likely will have one slot only for the import draft, otherwise some dealing will be required.

Will be interesting to see if there are any deals or do they wait to see how the season goes and deal near the deadline. A good chunk of the team is in place, with the deals over the last 2 seasons they have 5 01's, if Harley returns. The OA's could be set already with Canade, Whitty and Edmonds. I don't expect to see many deals, but will be interesting to see what JR can add.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Any insight on the Import Draft? Wondering if 88 OBH will return. It is expected he will be drafted this year, whenever the NHL holds it. I don't know if he is on loan, perhaps he could be eligible for the AHL when they start their season?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He doesn't appear to be on loan according to elite prospects. However, I wouldn't expect him ready for AHL yet regardless of who owns his rights. He is projected as 116th of the North American skaters according to NHL Central Scouting. He may not even be 50/50 to get drafted at that ranking.

For reference, here is a list of 18 year old defensemen in the AHL. Most were first round picks.
18-Year Old AHL Defensemen - Regular Season Stats

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks, I don't heavily follow the draft rankings but a poster from Norway asked about his prospects of being drafted last fall. I thought he was perhaps higher then, perhaps it's me. I don't think he would be AHL ready either, I guess it would be more likely if he doesn't return he plays in Europe. I'm hoping he returns myself.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Any insight on the Import Draft? Wondering if 88 OBH will return. It is expected he will be drafted this year, whenever the NHL holds it. I don't know if he is on loan, perhaps he could be eligible for the AHL when they start their season?

It looks like Mississauga is only selecting one guy, so Bjorgvik-Holm is likely staying next year. I imagine if they had a choice, they would take a RD. They struggled to score last year but they added some good talent and have most of their guys returning and getting a year older. Right defense is a little bit thin, with Sharpe as the only natural RHD on the roster.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Mississauga took 6'6", 231lbs LD Kasper Larsen from Denmark.

He is someone I expected to be taken by a team because he has a good chance of being selected in the NHL with the right exposure and a solid season. Not unreasonable to think he could be a top 4 guy for Mississauga out of the gate, and it makes them a very imposing presence next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->