Mississauga Steelheads 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
Anyone make it to camp? I had Easter commitments out of town.
I went to the two morning skate. Del Mastro looked Awesome. Myles Perry looked really good. I thought Drew Jeffers was good as well all of his breakout passes were crisp and right on the tape. Only knock on him is his acceleration first step and maybe a little lateral movement.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Top 3 picks signed, plus some moves in the front office. Zac Urback is heading to the Blue Jackets, plus Canadian golfer Taylor Pendrith is going to be a brand Ambassador.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
ohl insiders had a tweet about teams looking for goaltending and included the Steelheads. Any one hearing anything? wonder if they would move Ingham to a contender this year for picks and go with Ranger and a lower tier starter for this year. I think the year after this is their target year.

Schedule has a tough back to back with Erie, both games will be played within 24 hrs.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Missy will want to see what they have before they go trading Ingham away, probably a deadline deal similar to DiPietro with a smaller return, if they can pull it off? otherwise I could see them just holding on to him similar to what the Soo did with Villalta.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Missy will want to see what they have before they go trading Ingham away, probably a deadline deal similar to DiPietro with a smaller return, if they can pull it off? otherwise I could see them just holding on to him similar to what the Soo did with Villalta.

That was my thought as well going into this season. Guess they could do some shuffling now but they would need a proven tender regardless. I can't see them giving the reign to Ranger and going with a untested BUG.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Congrats to Harley, Schwindt and Washkurak on being drafted! 4th year in a row the Steelheads have had multiple players drafted which shows really well on the team's drafting and development.

I am surprised that Schwindt went before Washkurak but he did really pick up his game after the trade deadline.

Looking forward to seeing the three of them takes big steps in their game next season!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Congrats to Harley, Schwindt and Washkurak on being drafted! 4th year in a row the Steelheads have had multiple players drafted which shows really well on the team's drafting and development.

I am surprised that Schwindt went before Washkurak but he did really pick up his game after the trade deadline.

Looking forward to seeing the three of them takes big steps in their game next season!

Surprised a bit as well, how about Harley being the top O draft pick.

Import draft coming up, hopefully the Trout fare better then last year. I liked both Zuyev and Risenecker last year, but Risenecker never seemed to find a spot and both were gone around Xmas. A team can really help themselves here if they have the connections.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wow, the Steelheads front office have had a busy off season, three trades.

Net picks acquired: 2nd WR 2023, 3rd OSH 2022, 15th SAG 2022, 6th KIT 2024 conditional (Ingham OA?)

Picks dealt: 2nd BAR 2023, 4th PTB 2020, 4th SAG 2020, 5th MSS 2024, 7th SAG 2020.

Ingham dealt and G Kai Edmonds and D Hayten Davis have been added.

Kai will be starting most of the games but at a reduced work load compared to what Ingham played last year I would have to guess. Ranger should see more rubber this year as he gears up to take the starter role. Trading Ingham gives Ranger more room to play and gets a couple higher picks then what they flipped to Barrie for Edmonds.

Looks like Heyton will be a OA, and I would suspect McHugh would have a good chance as well. He was clearly hampered with his jaw injuries last season. I think Isaacson and CJ Clarke are out side at this point, I like D L Ham's chances over Wells also.

Wonder who they are going to get at the Import draft? Have to get more out of this draft then last year, hopefully some skill up front and a 2nd pair dman.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Quite a lot to digest at once for sure. But i'm sure all of these moves were being worked at the same time.

Sad to see Ingham go but not a bad idea to downgrade slightly in net, and use those extra assets to help pick up an OA D-man that should be able to thrive in a top 4 role this year. Definitely a plus to give Ranger some more time to develop, they must have liked what they saw during his limited action last season.

I think they're going to keep Ham, Davis, Isaacson and McHugh for the first part of the season, and will trade one of McHugh or Isaacson depending on how they both start out of the gate. I am a little surprised they already went and traded for another OA but they must really like Davis

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I am a little surprised they already went and traded for another OA but they must really like Davis

The Davis trade seems like it could be a wink and a nudge second part to the McLeod or Tippett deal. Unless Warren has 0 chance of coming to the OHL or Missy is out of roster protection spots it makes no sense for Missy to move his rights for Davis and add multiple picks to the deal. Warren himself is worth more than Davis as an OA.

Plus its good for Hayden, as a Hamilton kid, gets him back closer to home for his final season

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Davis trade seems like it could be a wink and a nudge second part to the McLeod or Tippett deal. Unless Warren has 0 chance of coming to the OHL or Missy is out of roster protection spots it makes no sense for Missy to move his rights for Davis and add multiple picks to the deal. Warren himself is worth more than Davis as an OA.

Plus its good for Hayden, as a Hamilton kid, gets him back closer to home for his final season

I am not privy to any inside knowledge, just a fan, but I would have to think there was no chance of Warren coming to Sauga, so likely a no cost sweetner for the Rangers.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, agreed Steel Fishbowl, sad to see Ingham go, seems like a good kid and appreciated his efforts with the Canadian Blood Services. However, getting some picks back and further control as you stated sure helps going forward. Last two days has sure perked my interest up.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I agree with Tarantula, Warren without a commitment is worth next to nothing. Saginaw has had some success recruiting players with NCAA commitments so they probably wanted to take that chance

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I agree with Tarantula, Warren without a commitment is worth next to nothing. Saginaw has had some success recruiting players with NCAA commitments so they probably wanted to take that chance

Then at least make the 15th round pick conditional with triggers if he signs and plays certain numbers of games. Just seems like poor asset management to throw in the rights to an NHL drafted player in for free because he wont sign with you. Especially dealing with a team like Saginaw who has to move out like 3 O/As and is probably looking to dump some gold packages.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Fair enough, frankly I find myself head scratching at various trades at times throughout the league, but I am no expert. I would guess the draft pick with no conditions likely reflects on the perceived odds of him reporting. Who knows what was asked for and what was talked about, the prior deals before and this one, but good point. If he never reports to the O, ( thinking the odds must be slim) I won't likely even remember him being in the trade, but if he did, I would be wondering what happened.

I've liked pretty much all the players JR has brought over in deals since being the GM, but I sometimes wonder if they could do a little better with their picks at times, whether selling or buying. However as I have said, I am no expert by any stretch.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
2018-08-24 Confirmed Manglerud U18 Univ. of Denver
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
First pick in the import draft,
PREMIUM FEATURES
printer-ico.jpg
views-ico.jpg
6 889

5.png
Ole Bjørgvik Holm

Looks like he has committed to Denver, if I am reading this right. Sure hope the Trout did their homework and get him to report.

Anyone have any insight on this prospect?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
1.png
Lucas Raymond

2nd pick, here is the write up on him from Elite Prospects, seems like a very promising player.

A very well-rounded and highly skilled winger. Raymond is blessed with exceptional hockey sense. Furthermore, he has terrific hands, great speed and fine work ethic. Plays with plenty of intensity and battles hard for the puck. A nightmare to play against with his forechecking and puck-stealing ability. He also plays a strong two-way game and is a capable penalty killer. Offensively, he has a strong wrist shot and excellent vision. Few weaknesses overall and is a player that doesn't wait for the play to happen, but the one that generates the play and make things happen. (EP 2018)

Sure hope the Trout can get some contributions from these picks, both are 02 guys as well.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Sounds like Holm will be coming as he was interviewed for the article on the Steelheads website.

Raymond is a huge long shot, I doubt he will be reporting but the Steelheads will try to entice him with plenty of ice time and will probably point to the success that Alex Nylander had here when he was drafted 8th overall

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Holm commited to the Trout, so the first pick is reporting.

It does seem like the second choice is going to be a long shot to report. Wonder if the Trout have a plan B based on another team winding up with a 3rd import as London found themselves in last year. Then a long shot pick makes more sense, guess see how things shake out.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I don't mind them going for a long-shot, especially when you want your import picks to be Top 6 F/Top 4 D. No point in using a spot when your own prospects/young players could be developing instead

As we saw last year when both Reisnecker and Zuyev were released after not having much of an impact

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I don't mind them going for a long-shot, especially when you want your import picks to be Top 6 F/Top 4 D. No point in using a spot when your own prospects/young players could be developing instead

As we saw last year when both Reisnecker and Zuyev were released after not having much of an impact

Yes, last year was not stellar as far as the import draft went. Risenecker had skill but he never seemed to fit with any combination. He didn't seem to really be on a regular line. Zuyev seemed like he could be a steady dman but today moving the puck has become such a factor. He wasn't really a top 4 dman IMO. If you can't add a top 6 forward or top 4 dman in the import draft then ice time gets taken away from younger players that could use it. Different story if you have loaded up with vets and plan on a run and could use the depth.

See how the picks work out this season. First choice has committed and the second is a long shot. Hope this current front office can establish some more relationships as far as this draft goes, since Boyd left the import results have been spotty, and I am not here to pump his tires.

A heat wave in muggy miserable Mississauga, traffic, construction and a rude population and I am looking forward to being in a cool rink to see some hockey.

MissSteelheadFan1774

Jul 21, 2019
My take on the draft:
1) Del Mastro and Sharpe are great since the team needed defense. Both can make an impact as soon as next year, which is important for Mississauga's defense, because it needs more talent beyond Harley.
2) Del Bel Belluz was one of the top guys remaining at his pick. Reid wasn't my first choice at his pick, but if they are confident he has room to blossom once he gets out of McTavish's shadow, he may become something special. O'Marra was a solid pickup in the 6th. With Mississauga's forward depth next year, I'm not sure I would bring any of them on the team right now though. I'd give the 03' roster spots to defensemen, but I'll go into more detail later.
3) I liked the DiLauro pick. I'm not sure he'll become anything spectacular, but I think minimum he's a capable OHL goalie who would be a serviceable starter/strong backup. For a 7th rounder, I'd take that.
4) Chisholm was a solid pick in the 10th round. 18 goal scorer on a weaker team, and a big body. Plus did pretty well in his brief stints against older competition. He's going to need development, but you could have at least a quality bottom 6er if he takes even a decent step forward next year.
5) I initially did not like Kogawa, but I warmed up to him. He's small, but he plays the right way. If he can grow, he's an OHLer IMO.
6) Mateer is another one I thought was a head scratcher, but I can also see the intrigue. He was the best player (besides their goalie, Cameron Smith, who was the second goalie taken in the draft) on a really atrocious team and he has good work ethic. He's not highly skilled, but he's the type of guy who could develop into a solid middle 6 center as he grows and develops. I am sure they are hoping he blossoms and finds more consistency as he hopefully plays on better teams, because he has shown flashes of being a guy who would be close to O'Marra quality than a 13th round choice.
7) Driscoll, Scott and Bolton were not picks I would have made. Scott was someone I originally liked, but I took him off my board. Way too much to work on, not enough upside. Mississauga did lack defensive prospects, but they did a good job in the earlier rounds and there were much better options at all positions than him. Driscoll is another smaller winger with some decent upside, but once again, there were other guys available who I think were much better options (including goalies). Mississauga has done well with smaller wingers in the past, but you can only fit so many, and he's going to be at the bottom of that list. Bolton seemed to me like a throwaway pick. He has a bit of size I guess, but no production, needs to fill out a lot, and there were definitely better players out there. I doubt he was really on anyone's radar, so who knows what Mississauga saw in him.
8) My favourite picks by far were the Americans. Drew Jeffers and Riley Rosenthal. Both are huge RD. Best part, both of them look like they could be willing to come to Mississauga:

- Riley Rosenthal retweeted his selection, which is not something you usually do if you don't have interest in playing for the team. Rosenthal was invited to USDP training camp though.
- Neither have NCAA Commitments right now.

Without a doubt, both of them could step into the lineup next year. I wouldn't put Jeffers in the top 6, but I'd give him 25-30 games. Rosenthal, on some rankings I saw, was even ranked higher than Del Mastro. If it helps bringing him in, I would promise him a legit opportunity at a top 4 job as a rookie. He has the size and skill to handle big minutes right out of the gate, especially if next year will be for preparation for a 20-21 run. You also need top 4 quality RD on the team right now. It may be a young defense, but if you could get all of Sharpe, Del Mastro, Jeffers and Rosenthal as your four 03' commits for next year, and have them join Ham, Penman, Harley and Callaghan on top of your forward depth

Hardie-Washkurak-Isaacson
Canade-Schwindt-McHugh
Portokalis-Prueter-Varga
Dodig-Stubbs-Whitson
Christner

+ Lamanna, McKnight, Bowers, Perry and 2 Import spots to use if you want to move someone like Varga. I'm not considering DBB, Reid, O'Marra, etc. because I think you can only have 4 03's on the roster for next year, and I would use all of the spots on defensemen. Still, you could give DBB and Reid their contracts and just not have them play for you right away. Clarke and Whittaker are dealt.

Harley-Penman
Ham-Rosenthal
Del Mastro-Sharpe
Callaghan-Jeffers

Craig Spence is the only other option, and he's not amazing. If they'd rather have an 02' RD and an 03' forward like DBB rather than have Jeffers (or if Rosenthal doesn't commit), that's his only shot. Even then, I'd expect Mississauga to rather spend a pick on getting another vet into their lineup if that were the case. Walker and Cella are dealt or released.

Ingham-Ranger

Trade Dunsmoor. Pretty straight forward decision in net. Use the U18 draft to find a 3rd goalie and to bring some heat on Ranger.

What do you think are Riley Rosenthal best attributes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad