Mississauga Steelheads 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Very good season for the Steelheads. Yeah they got swept in the first round, but they played an entertaining type of game. It will hurt to lose the skill and touch of Alan L and Carter, but it will be interesting to see who steps into that void.
I'm also very interested to see who the overagers will be next year as well. I sure hope Ham is one of them. I also think Canade is a logical choice to replace Carter as captain.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Very good season for the Steelheads. Yeah they got swept in the first round, but they played an entertaining type of game. It will hurt to lose the skill and touch of Alan L and Carter, but it will be interesting to see who steps into that void.
I'm also very interested to see who the overagers will be next year as well. I sure hope Ham is one of them. I also think Canade is a logical choice to replace Carter as captain.
Ham is indeed impressive, you’ll want to try to hang onto him.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I can see Canade as a captain, and would like to see Ham return. He made a difference as soon as he was acquired, defensively and some physical play.

It is encouraging to see some of the things the organization is doing. The STH package is a bit sweeter and having Sauga 960 up and running gives the Trout some badly needed exposure. Hopefully these steps contribute to some additional ticket sales next season!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
As the roster stands the Trout have 7 '01 players returning, 3 of which were drafted within the first 2 rounds. Penman and Prueter were acquired at the trade deadline and I think a indication what lies ahead. Their '00 class is much thinner and has no one NHL signed except Ingham. Looks like next year is a step for the year after.

How about McHugh as a early pick for a OA. He hasn't shown as much here but he has had a nasty year for injuries. He isn't the smoothest skater but he seems to be where the puck goes. I have been impressed with him for his instinct.

Ingham had a solid year, going to the LA camp certainly helped. He has had the reflexes and talent and he looked much better handling the puck, positioning and resilience. Ranger had some rough moments, especially early on but he had a great stretch when pressed to start. He looks like the real deal, he has the reflexes.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Yes, I would have McHugh and Ham as 2 of the OAs. Maybe Isaacson as the third. I liked his puck control in the offensive zone. But who knows, maybe some trade deals change it all up.
Ranger did look shaky at the start and i can't see him playing more than 15 games. His size just doesn't fit the current goalie prototype (imagine him standing beside UPL).

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
My best guess is that they will start the year with Ham, McHugh, Isaacson and Wells. Then depending on how each of them are performing and the needs at F & D they will trim down to 3. I don't think Clarke has shown enough to warrant an OA spot. The prices they paid for McHugh and Ham will ensure that they will be back next year, or at the very least traded for a decent return.

I agree that Canade wouldn't be a bad choice for Captain but I would love to see Washkurak wear the C. I think he would be perfect as a two year captain for the squad. Great fighter, hard worker and always stands up for his teammates. Not to mention he's a great skater and a pretty skilled player as well

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good reasoning above SFB, Washer would be a good choice as well for the C. I also don’t see Clarke in the mix for a OA as it is now, let alone when they bring in a FA or two for camp.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
My best guess is that they will start the year with Ham, McHugh, Isaacson and Wells. Then depending on how each of them are performing and the needs at F & D they will trim down to 3. I don't think Clarke has shown enough to warrant an OA spot. The prices they paid for McHugh and Ham will ensure that they will be back next year, or at the very least traded for a decent return.

I agree that Canade wouldn't be a bad choice for Captain but I would love to see Washkurak wear the C. I think he would be perfect as a two year captain for the squad. Great fighter, hard worker and always stands up for his teammates. Not to mention he's a great skater and a pretty skilled player as well
I agree with you on Washkurak. He has become a real presence on the ice. Big strong and fast. Got to figure that Thomas Harley will be back bigger and stronger and making him captain might be a logical choice. Cartsy certainly played JR hockey and it helped with the culture that management hoped for. Ham would fill that bill as well-the blue collar gritty style is something that Ham excels at.
Next year’s team is going to be fun to watch.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Both Schwinny and Washer took big steps this year. Harley has really gotten better puck handling in traffic and was getting more assertive on the rush and shooting the puck from the B line. I can see him taking a leap this year ahead as Hauge did 2 yrs ago, and Harley skates much faster and smoother.

Off the top of my head, I think the Steelheads have 4 players taken in the top 2 rounds of the 17 draft. Harley, Washer, Penman, Prueter(sp).

Most improved player had to be Ingham. He had a disappointing sophmore season but he looked like a new man this year. Getting some camp time with LA and his off season work out obviously was beneficial. He looked much sharper around the crease and seemed to be much more resilant after a goal against.

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
Both Schwinny and Washer took big steps this year. Harley has really gotten better puck handling in traffic and was getting more assertive on the rush and shooting the puck from the B line. I can see him taking a leap this year ahead as Hauge did 2 yrs ago, and Harley skates much faster and smoother.

Off the top of my head, I think the Steelheads have 4 players taken in the top 2 rounds of the 17 draft. Harley, Washer, Penman, Prueter(sp).

Most improved player had to be Ingham. He had a disappointing sophmore season but he looked like a new man this year. Getting some camp time with LA and his off season work out obviously was beneficial. He looked much sharper around the crease and seemed to be much more resilant after a goal against.

I agree with everything you said but Ingham was not most improved! That was easily Harley. Inghams season was packed with playing time but his performance was flat! He has yet to show his form from his rook campaign!

Reactions: Mild Italian

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I agree with everything you said but Ingham was not most improved! That was easily Harley. Inghams season was packed with playing time but his performance was flat! He has yet to show his form from his rook campaign!

Hard to argue your point about Harley. Still think Ingham took a big step this season after his disappointing sophomore season. Both should have a big year next season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Mississauga has a decent crop of 02' forwards who could come in next year: Perry, Lammana, Stubbs, Whitson, McKnight... They may deem guys like Whittaker and Varga expendable if it opens up some spots and nets them some picks. Teams would pay for them too.

I think Wells and Clarke are gone as OA's. Wells could get a mid-round pick in return. Nothing special, but decent. Clarke probably gets nothing, but maybe a rebuilding team needing some vet talent will throw out a late round pick for him and use him as a top 9 RW mentor. Otherwise, I think Walker and Dunsmoor get dealt if they find takers. I think Dunsmoor could interest some teams like Saginaw or Guelph, and Walker could be a decent bottom pairing addition for some teams for the right price. Worst case, he is a good 6/7 for Mississauga next year, but I think prospects and Imports (or maybe a trade or two) could take away his spot.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Looks like the team is already getting ready for next season as they announced the signing of Max Dodig. He had a pretty good season in Midget last year with 79 points in 61 games

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looks like the team is already getting ready for next season as they announced the signing of Max Dodig. He had a pretty good season in Midget last year with 79 points in 61 games

He isn't listed on hockey DB. JR's description of his play sounds like it fits the bill. Will have to wait until the fall to see how he looks.

Draft coming up, the Trout have done well with their first picks the last two years under JR, with the big exception of taking J Hughes with the comp pick two years ago. Hopefully they hit a few bullseyes as they don't have as many picks as some teams do. No second and while there are 3 picks in the third, 2 of them are rather late. Still think some teams may maneuver though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Whitson is already signed as well, and I remember seeing somewhere that Stubbs was signed by Mississauga at the beginning of the year as well. If he wasn't, he makes a good case for it, as do many other 02' forwards (Lamanna, Perry, McKnight). Even Bowers may get consideration. I think Mississauga has to prioritize defense in the draft this year. There should be a good defenseman for Mississauga at 12, and there are a bunch of really nice defensive prospects in the 3rd round to choose from. With three 3rd round picks, you can easily pick up 2 or 3 good defensive prospects and still get a great forward to add to the group. Goalie may also be up there on the list, but that depends on who is available in the 3rd round and management's feelings about Ranger being Ingham's successor. Mississauga could potentially find a goalie through trade when they need one, but getting one or two prospects in the system wouldn't be the worst idea.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He isn't listed on hockey DB. JR's description of his play sounds like it fits the bill. Will have to wait until the fall to see how he looks.

Draft coming up, the Trout have done well with their first picks the last two years under JR, with the big exception of taking J Hughes with the comp pick two years ago. Hopefully they hit a few bullseyes as they don't have as many picks as some teams do. No second and while there are 3 picks in the third, 2 of them are rather late. Still think some teams may maneuver though.

No 4th or 5th either. Good news is that besides defense, you should have a good amount of young depth players to take over open spots (and to make some guys available for trade for more picks in later years), so it is not like you desperately need the 03' class to fill major holes. If you hit on the 1st and 3 3rds, and maybe get lucky on one or two later round picks, then you can start looking at building a more competitive and sustainable model in later years.

You also have 2 Import Spots and the U18 draft. Don't let them go to waste. Mississauga is a pretty nice place, and the team is not terrible, so you should be able to at least get some decent Euros to come play for you. Maybe not Boqvists or anything, but guys better than Reisnecker and Zuyev (even though they weren't terrible themselves). Those picks alone, if used properly, could easily replace the 4th and 5th round picks you traded away.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I thought both imports had potential last year but it was a disappointing season in that regard. Risenecker never did seem to fit in.

The last 2 years they have been thin of the D corp especially as the season went on.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Whitson is already signed as well, and I remember seeing somewhere that Stubbs was signed by Mississauga at the beginning of the year as well. If he wasn't, he makes a good case for it, as do many other 02' forwards (Lamanna, Perry, McKnight). Even Bowers may get consideration. I think Mississauga has to prioritize defense in the draft this year. There should be a good defenseman for Mississauga at 12, and there are a bunch of really nice defensive prospects in the 3rd round to choose from. With three 3rd round picks, you can easily pick up 2 or 3 good defensive prospects and still get a great forward to add to the group. Goalie may also be up there on the list, but that depends on who is available in the 3rd round and management's feelings about Ranger being Ingham's successor. Mississauga could potentially find a goalie through trade when they need one, but getting one or two prospects in the system wouldn't be the worst idea.

Yeah Whitson and Stubbs are both signed by the team. I agree that the team does need to prioritize defense as they do have greater depth up front and stronger prospects. Not sure if they will use a high pick on a goalie as they have Ingham for at least one more year, Ranger entering his second year and Dunsmoor signed as well. I assume they'll give Dunsmoor a chance if available as he had a good season in Jr. A.

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
Yeah Whitson and Stubbs are both signed by the team. I agree that the team does need to prioritize defense as they do have greater depth up front and stronger prospects. Not sure if they will use a high pick on a goalie as they have Ingham for at least one more year, Ranger entering his second year and Dunsmoor signed as well. I assume they'll give Dunsmoor a chance if available as he had a good season in Jr. A.
I think Dunsmoor is a Great kid but his time has passed unless in Missy unless Ingham gets injured. Dunsmoor looked Great in training camp but Ranger was still added to the roster.

STEEL33

Mar 25, 2019
Harleys confidence rushing the puck in all playoff games this year was amazing! So much so that Sudbury fans were coming to ask me about him!
I think when the Steelheads got down early in the Series Richmond said Rush the puck.
Harley skates so well and his edge work is one of the best in the Conference. He will be even better with Confidence from a NHL Camp.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I could see a big year for Harley coming up. Should be a big year ahead, I could see him producing a lot of points. He had really improved in many areas as last season went along, at both ends of the ice. Too bad the Trout couldn't have gotten some more playoff experience for him.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
I think Dunsmoor is a Great kid but his time has passed unless in Missy unless Ingham gets injured. Dunsmoor looked Great in training camp but Ranger was still added to the roster.

You're probably right. I thought Dunsmoor outplayed Ranger in camp but was likely telling when he didn't make the opening day roster. And unfortunately he had a terrible game in his first career start. Only option I can then think of is if they trade Ingham and go with a Ranger/Dunsmoor tandem and try to make a run for the 20-21 season? That year they will have a great 01 crop who will all be in their 4th year. Or is that just a crazy suggestion on my end?

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I have yet to see a OHL goalie in Dunsmoor, but I am not a scout! I have wondered about Ingham, but I could see them keeping him until around the deadline depending on where they are in the standings and how Ranger looks next year. They could trade Ingham then to help load up for the next year with a high end player and a few draft picks to use a year later.

Don't believe we have seen enough from Ranger to trade Ingham in the offseason and Dunsmoor hasn't looked good in action yet.

They are going for it two seasons from now, I believe, hence getting 2 '01's in Penman and Prueter during deals last year. They have 4 players taken in the first 2 rounds of that draft now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad