Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
If he isn't ready does Matthew Dunsmoor factor as a back up?

I would have to think so, not sure how he did in Midget AAA but he did get into a few games with the Jr. Burlington Cougars. I am sure that both Dunsmoor and Ranger will get an opportunity to win the backup job at training camp

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
2017-18
3.png
Guelph Jr. Gryphons Midget AAA
SCTA 382.42.903
3.png
Burlington Cougars
OJHL 33.88.898
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Just dug these up, guess we find out during camp. Wonder when the team's website has up to date roster. Looks like it is the same thing on other team sites as well.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Copy, paste. Elite Prospect site.

Below is from the actual team website. Must be including more then just league games, tournaments perhaps? A quick glance at the roster showed many players with more games played then what was in the league standings.

Goaltending Statistics
TeamGPMPSAGAGAASV %WLTSO
2017-2018 AAA - Midget38190010501022.4290.29 %28810
Career38190010501022.4290.29 %28810
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
We will have to see. It is a long process for any player but IMO moreso for goalies. Too bad because of one poster Ranger keeps getting his name brought up, just let the kid be and see how he does. This extra attention really isn't doing any favours considering he has yet to even hit camp. :shakehead

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Yes I am excited to see how both of them look in training camp and in the pre-season. If neither of them look ready I wonder if they would consider trading for a cheap backup (like OS did for Torchia) or just let the kids play a few games and see how they perform.

Also congrats to Trent Fox for signing with the ECHL's Fort Wayne Comets!

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Also congrats to Trent Fox for signing with the ECHL's Fort Wayne Comets!
Cheers!

If neither of them look ready I wonder if they would consider trading for a cheap backup (like OS did for Torchia) or just let the kids play a few games and see how they perform.

Have to have some concern about the goaltending going into this season. I expect Ingham to have a better year but you never know and they are pretty green behind him.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Cheers!

Have to have some concern about the goaltending going into this season. I expect Ingham to have a better year but you never know and they are pretty green behind him.

its not just a steelheads thing thou, its a league thing. look at how many teams are going in with questions in goal?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I know, that's likely a big factor on allowing European goalies back in the import draft. Makes it hard to shore the position up as many teams have a similar issue, many more buyers then sellers.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I know, that's likely a big factor on allowing European goalies back in the import draft. Makes it hard to shore the position up as many teams have a similar issue, many more buyers then sellers.

I think the Euro goalies coming back makes that the opposite, doesn't it? Will be more sellers than buyers. Most of the buyers just got their goalie for free in the Euro draft

Reactions: Savard18

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
its not just a steelheads thing thou, its a league thing. look at how many teams are going in with questions in goal?

Which means most of the names available are not a huge upgrade, hence it taking a couple years of Euro goalies being eligible to raise the talent pool. So for this year at least upgrading even a experienced back up could be pretty costly. I expect in a couple of years of drafting Euro goalies will bring the entire goalie talent pool up. I feel right now the goalie market is skewed as there is likely more demand then what is available as a solid OHL goalie.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think the Euro goalies coming back makes that the opposite, doesn't it? Will be more sellers than buyers. Most of the buyers just got their goalie for free in the Euro draft

i would say for some teams sure, but in this instance were talking about the depth type of goalies, like what mississauga did with vella last year. how many guys like vella are out there this year? not that many. the 99/00 age groups for goalies have been fairly underwhelming.

if mississauga wants a proven backup goalie, who do they trade for? there isnt much out there.

Reactions: Tarantula

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
i would say for some teams sure, but in this instance were talking about the depth type of goalies, like what mississauga did with vella last year. how many guys like vella are out there this year? not that many. the 99/00 age groups for goalies have been fairly underwhelming.

if mississauga wants a proven backup goalie, who do they trade for? there isnt much out there.

Jake McGrath might be the top name. And he's now available because Sudbury got their starter for free in the Euro draft

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Jake McGrath might be the top name. And he's now available because Sudbury got their starter for free in the Euro draft

For a top name he hasn't garnished much interest it seems. Perhaps as the goalie pool deepens then there will be a few more quality guys available, goalie is probably the thinnest position league wide for reinforcements.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
For a top name he hasn't garnished much interest it seems. Perhaps as the goalie pool deepens then there will be a few more quality guys available, goalie is probably the thinnest position league wide for reinforcements.

Well we are talking about looking to pickup someone for a backup role. There won't be many backups who have garnished much interest, or they probably wouldn't be a backup

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario

Sometimes competition is good. McGrath put up a better SV% than Ingham on a worse defensive team last year. Both have the potential to step up and take the job. It might be a healthy thing for Mississauga to acquire someone who would be close to Ingham's capabilities and for atleast one of those goaltenders to really see a battle for that starting job and have one of those two elevate their game to the level they're capable of.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Well we are talking about looking to pickup someone for a backup role. There won't be many backups who have garnished much interest, or they probably wouldn't be a backup

3/4 years ago you could grab a dawson carty, justin nichols, charlie graham (i only really looked at a few teams) to help add depth to a team. right now, the best you can do is vella, and after him its a whole bunch of unknowns. teams would move guys to bring in 16/17 year olds, they may not be starters but good quality ohl goalies. right now the league isnt there with the goalie depth, and no one uses an import goalie on a quality backup.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
3/4 years ago you could grab a dawson carty, justin nichols, charlie graham (i only really looked at a few teams) to help add depth to a team. right now, the best you can do is vella, and after him its a whole bunch of unknowns. teams would move guys to bring in 16/17 year olds, they may not be starters but good quality ohl goalies. right now the league isnt there with the goalie depth, and no one uses an import goalie on a quality backup.

You could add the guys you mentioned at the deadline, not before he season (Graham trade was Jan 7th and Nichols trade was Jan 8th). This year you could likely get Dylan Wells, Jake McGrath, Cole Ceci, Emanuel Vella. Probably pretty on par to most years

And then as you get closer to the deadline, DiPietro will be available you'd think and who knows who else if their team is underperforming

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You could add the guys you mentioned at the deadline, not before he season (Graham trade was Jan 7th and Nichols trade was Jan 8th). This year you could likely get Dylan Wells, Jake McGrath, Cole Ceci, Emanuel Vella. Probably pretty on par to most years

And then as you get closer to the deadline, DiPietro will be available you'd think and who knows who else if their team is underperforming

just as an aside, Nichols to Guelph was traded in October, carty to kitchener in sept, if i cared i could look at the other 15 teams in the league and find some other goalies. wells is going pro and ceci isnt an ohl goalie like carty, but like the saginaw/wilde thing, i really dont want to get into a debate over it.

my overall point is the depth isnt there anymore, thats why teams dont have stronger goalie options, thats why the league had to re-introduce the import rule. if you disagree feel free, but your the only one i can find that says that. the goalie talent in the league is at its lowest point in years, they talked about it at the league meetings.

the only starter backup goalie in the league right now is incze, mccgrath could be but sudbury wants starter prices for him so hell probably stay, and he wasnt good enough to start on the worst team in the ohl last year, they needed to get culina.

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
just as an aside, Nichols to Guelph was traded in October, carty to kitchener in sept, if i cared i could look at the other 15 teams in the league and find some other goalies. wells is going pro and ceci isnt an ohl goalie like carty, but like the saginaw/wilde thing, i really dont want to get into a debate over it.

my overall point is the depth isnt there anymore, thats why teams dont have stronger goalie options, thats why the league had to re-introduce the import rule. if you disagree feel free, but your the only one i can find that says that. the goalie talent in the league is at its lowest point in years, they talked about it at the league meetings.

the only starter backup goalie in the league right now is incze, mccgrath could be but sudbury wants starter prices for him so hell probably stay, and he wasnt good enough to start on the worst team in the ohl last year, they needed to get culina.

I was talking about the Nichols to Oshawa trade. When Oshawa got him to be a backup.

Also very uncertain that Wells goes pro. He was awful last year and even worse when he played pro after the OHL season. Very well could see him back in the O

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I was talking about the Nichols to Oshawa trade. When Oshawa got him to be a backup.

Also very uncertain that Wells goes pro. He was awful last year and even worse when he played pro after the OHL season. Very well could see him back in the O

ok, but i wasnt, i brought his name up first and was referring to the guelph trade. does it matter?

i can give 20/25 more, but the point is the league held meetings this summer to find a plan to create depth at the goalie position. thats why the import draft came back, and thats why the oa exception for goalies is coming next year, the league believes that the depth is at its worst its ever been, and thats why goalies who would normally be backups are starters, and why teams like mississauga who may benefit from a 19 year old backup cant find one, because they dont exist.

agree or disagree, doesnt matter to me, but the league believes theres been a significant drop off, hence the goalie ruel changes.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
the 99/00 age groups for goalies have been fairly underwhelming.
I would say it is more a result of under development not so much as underwhelming. The OHL lately has been terrible at developing goaltenders. For instance, in the 99 group, you have Bonello, Hughes, Richardson, Incze, Peccia who were all stuck behind 19 - 20 yr old starters who played the bulk of the games. That lack of playing time has stunted their development. DiPietro, Keyser, Vallati, Propp, Richardson, Popovich are the only goalies in their age group that had solid minutes in their development (Richardson is in both categories because he got minutes to develop but also had older goalie step in and take over). McGrath has the development time but for whatever reason took a huge step back last year.
Biggest problem for the OHL is they think they are a mini NHL model....NHL starting goalies play the bulk of the minutes so we should have our starters playing the bulk of the minutes and hope like hell the guys behind them can learn how to play the game in practice or from the bench.

Reactions: Scooter44 and cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->