Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyHockey

Mar 9, 2017
Will McLeod be back next year? Or does he make the Devils. McLeod coming back means this is a power house team that should be going all in between all their guys!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Will McLeod be back next year? Or does he make the Devils. McLeod coming back means this is a power house team that should be going all in between all their guys!

Just want to start by saying this is what a few pro scouts have said but...

Basically a few scouts have said that Mikey McLeod projects to be like a 3rd liner with speed and offense who can move up and down the line up. So to me that sounds like a marginal top 6 player.

If you ask me, if that is the opinion of the Devils, he likely wont be back. He could crack the top 9 in NJ next fall easily. He doesn't have much to prove at this level anymore anyways. At this point he's a lot stronger then most OHL forwards and you can see that in his puck protection and play in the corners.

To me, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on, I also wouldn't be surprised to see him back.

I don't believe in the theory that players should come back just to dominate. If you already have really good numbers and are already stronger then most of the league, you don't have much to gain.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Boyd and Egert let go after winning Eastern Conference finals?, it appears team has a very small budget giving Richmond managerial duties.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Is Saarijärvi definitely gone to the AHL or is there a chance he will start in Mississauga?

The Fan

Mar 30, 2014
Sean Day

Just want to take a minute to say way to go to Sean Day for helping the Spitfires to there Memorial Cup win. Best of luck to you Sean in the future!!

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Projected line up 2017-2018

Tippett - Mcleod (50/50) - Fox (OA)
Cascagnette(OA) - R.Mcleod - Harrogate
Import - Boomhowwer - Titus
Mcfarland - Washkurak - Dow
Dickerson - Little - Goodwin

Lost from last year - Bastian(AHL), Watson (OA), M.Mcleod (50/50) 2 possibly 3 of your top 6

Hague - Moverare
Osmanski - Gibson (OA)
Harley - Wells
Gravelle - Ramalho

Lost from last year - Saarijaarvi (AHL), Leblanc (OA) 2 of 4 top 4

Ingham
O'Leary

Lost Mancina from last year

Pipeline [/U]
Primeau (G) Committed
Hughes (F) Committed
1st round Import F
Lots of Picks to trade
Always 1 or 2 guys that will make the team out of camp

bottom 6 guys are all replacable in my mind, except for boomhowwer
Trade Gibson for better OA d-man

If M.Mcleod doesn't come back it looks like a rebuild year for me. Could move 97's and 98's like Gibson, Osmanski, Moverare, Harrogate, Hague, Fox, Cascagnette and Boomhowwer (not all of them obviously) for some good returns and ice a Great team in 2018-2019. BUT they could still ice a solid team w/o M.Mcleod but it wont be top in the East.

If M.Mcleod is back, you make the appropriate trades and go all in.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Projected line up 2017-2018

Tippett - Mcleod (50/50) - Fox (OA)
Cascagnette(OA) - R.Mcleod - Harrogate
Import - Boomhowwer - Titus
Mcfarland - Washkurak - Dow
Dickerson - Little - Goodwin

Lost from last year - Bastian(AHL), Watson (OA), M.Mcleod (50/50) 2 possibly 3 of your top 6

Hague - Moverare
Osmanski - Gibson (OA)
Harley - Wells
Gravelle - Ramalho

Lost from last year - Saarijaarvi (AHL), Leblanc (OA) 2 of 4 top 4

Ingham
O'Leary

Lost Mancina from last year

Pipeline [/U]
Primeau (G) Committed
Hughes (F) Committed
1st round Import F
Lots of Picks to trade
Always 1 or 2 guys that will make the team out of camp

bottom 6 guys are all replacable in my mind, except for boomhowwer
Trade Gibson for better OA d-man

If M.Mcleod doesn't come back it looks like a rebuild year for me. Could move 97's and 98's like Gibson, Osmanski, Moverare, Harrogate, Hague, Fox, Cascagnette and Boomhowwer (not all of them obviously) for some good returns and ice a Great team in 2018-2019. BUT they could still ice a solid team w/o M.Mcleod but it wont be top in the East.

If M.Mcleod is back, you make the appropriate trades and go all in.

The other thing to an it is unlikely but could happen is Moverare could actually play in the AHL next year as well. I don't really see it happening but I've seen weirder things lol

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
The other thing to an it is unlikely but could happen is Moverare could actually play in the AHL next year as well. I don't really see it happening but I've seen weirder things lol

I actually do not think he can, he signed with the Steelheads. The reason Nylander and Honka were able to play in the AHL as 19 years old is because they were sent on a loan from Europe.

But maybe you're right! He's not AHL caliber yet though.

Last edited:

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I actually do not think he can, he signed with the Steelheads. The reason Nylander and Honka were able to play in the AHL as 19 years old is because they were sent on a loan from Europe.

But maybe you're right! He's not AHL caliber yet though.

Because he was drafted by LA out of Sweden and not the OHL he is AHL eligible.

But like i said I can't see him making it. He didn't necessarily tear the OHL up. Think he needs 1 more season.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Any news on Steelheads home broadcasts for next season with the local Rogers station closure?

Basically, as an OHL Action Pak subscriber through Cogeco, I'm wondering if we'll still have access to the home games? They have to be broadcasted in some form, I would think?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With the Rippon trade its now quite the large defense core now.

Hague, Moverare, Gibson, Osmanski, Wells, Harley, Gravelle, Walker, Ramalho. I imagine there may be a move during training camp to free up some space and bring in a forward.

FWIW - I believe Bastian comes back as an OA, didn't light it up last year and could benefit from another year and not being rushed into pro hockey.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
With the Rippon trade its now quite the large defense core now.

Hague, Moverare, Gibson, Osmanski, Wells, Harley, Gravelle, Walker, Ramalho. I imagine there may be a move during training camp to free up some space and bring in a forward.

FWIW - I believe Bastian comes back as an OA, didn't light it up last year and could benefit from another year and not being rushed into pro hockey.

No way nate plays OA in missy. Jersey will want him in there system playing against men not 2001s especiallygiven his size. Superbuddies going to be on different teams this year Sorry

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
No way nate plays OA in missy. Jersey will want him in there system playing against men not 2001s especiallygiven his size. Superbuddies going to be on different teams this year Sorry

Its not completely out of the question, he didn't dominate last year. See below from both Brock Otten and Chris Ryan, beat writer for NJD.

"Likely scenario: The Devils send Bastian back to the OHL to play another season with the Mississauga Steelheads, where Bastian would be one of the veterans on a talented team that could make a deep playoff run. He is also AHL eligible since he will be 20 before Dec. 31 and played four seasons of junior hockey already, so the Devils have options."

"3. Nathan Bastian - Mississauga Steelheads
While the majority of his Mississauga teammates picked it up in the 2nd half of the season, Bastian's struggles continued throughout the entire season IMO. He was one of the most disappointing players in the OHL this year, for me. Mississauga continued to shift him between wing and center (wing to start, center to finish the year) to try and get him going. A lack of dynamic skating ability really still seems to hinder him from being a consistent offensive contributor. But with his size, he should be dominating in front of the net and he has yet to figure out how to do that. His play in the corners remains strong and he works the cycle well, but there's no chance a guy with his skill set and size should have only 16 goals this year. I think we also saw his physical game decline a bit, although I wonder if that was in favour of trying to do more offensively? Bastian does remain an excellent two-way player who is an effective penalty killer (really does a great job getting his stick in passing lanes). I just think more needs to be expected of him offensively. Next year, the Devils have an option. They've already signed him. But he can play in the AHL or return to the OHL for his overage season. If I were them, I'd return him for his OA year where he can be a big part of a good team and really try to dominate his own age level before moving on. Trying to get to that point per game mark and the 20 goal mark for the first time in his OHL career, two things that would be a necessity for his overage season to be considered a success. "

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Its not completely out of the question, he didn't dominate last year. See below from both Brock Otten and Chris Ryan, beat writer for NJD.

"Likely scenario: The Devils send Bastian back to the OHL to play another season with the Mississauga Steelheads, where Bastian would be one of the veterans on a talented team that could make a deep playoff run. He is also AHL eligible since he will be 20 before Dec. 31 and played four seasons of junior hockey already, so the Devils have options."

"3. Nathan Bastian - Mississauga Steelheads
While the majority of his Mississauga teammates picked it up in the 2nd half of the season, Bastian's struggles continued throughout the entire season IMO. He was one of the most disappointing players in the OHL this year, for me. Mississauga continued to shift him between wing and center (wing to start, center to finish the year) to try and get him going. A lack of dynamic skating ability really still seems to hinder him from being a consistent offensive contributor. But with his size, he should be dominating in front of the net and he has yet to figure out how to do that. His play in the corners remains strong and he works the cycle well, but there's no chance a guy with his skill set and size should have only 16 goals this year. I think we also saw his physical game decline a bit, although I wonder if that was in favour of trying to do more offensively? Bastian does remain an excellent two-way player who is an effective penalty killer (really does a great job getting his stick in passing lanes). I just think more needs to be expected of him offensively. Next year, the Devils have an option. They've already signed him. But he can play in the AHL or return to the OHL for his overage season. If I were them, I'd return him for his OA year where he can be a big part of a good team and really try to dominate his own age level before moving on. Trying to get to that point per game mark and the 20 goal mark for the first time in his OHL career, two things that would be a necessity for his overage season to be considered a success. "

Makes me wonder how closely Otten actually watches these games. Nate was derailed in the second half by the dirty knee on knee hit he suffered. He clearly was not 100 percent the rest of the year. He should have been at centre all year long but the team felt the need to give a younger player the time. The team was strictly better with Mikey and Nate 1-2 down the middle. Not to mention Tippett played his best hockey when Bastian was his pivot.
I could be wrong but I think he plays in the A next year

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
You can argue both sides of Bastian goes to the A or back to the O. I personally believe he'll be back, i think its 50/50. Newjersey has plenty of young guys bound to play in the A. Mcleod on the other hand is more of a 70/30 I think. With both those guys back I think this team is dominant.

Line-up

Michnac(I) - Mcleod - R.Mcleod
Fox(OA) - Bastian - Tippett
Harrogate- Boomhowwer - Cascagnette(OA)
Washkurak - Little - Dow
Dickerson

Hague - Moverare(I)
Osmanski - Rippon
Wells - Harley
Gibson(OA) - Taylor

Ingham
Dunsmoor

This would be an incredibly deep team. I believe if they get Mcleod, Bastian, Tippett back they win the OHL. They trade Gibson, pick up a right handed D-man to play with Hague. They have tooooo many left handed d-men.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
You can argue both sides of Bastian goes to the A or back to the O. I personally believe he'll be back, i think its 50/50. Newjersey has plenty of young guys bound to play in the A. Mcleod on the other hand is more of a 70/30 I think. With both those guys back I think this team is dominant.

Line-up

Michnac(I) - Mcleod - R.Mcleod
Fox(OA) - Bastian - Tippett
Harrogate- Boomhowwer - Cascagnette(OA)
Washkurak - Little - Dow
Dickerson

Hague - Moverare(I)
Osmanski - Rippon
Wells - Harley
Gibson(OA) - Taylor

Ingham
Dunsmoor

This would be an incredibly deep team. I believe if they get Mcleod, Bastian, Tippett back they win the OHL. They trade Gibson, pick up a right handed D-man to play with Hague. They have tooooo many left handed d-men.

Bastian would be an OA.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Here's my roster with M. McLeod and Bastian back as I believe that will happen. With Bastian back I'd say Gibson gets traded as defense is very deep.

Michnac - M.McLeod - Bastian
Fox - R. McLeod - Tippett
Boomhower - Cascagnette - Harrogate
Washkurak - Little - Titus
Dow/Schwindt/Dickerson (trade)/Gaylor

Hague - Moverare
Rippon - Osmanski
Harley - Wells
Gravelle

Ingham
Dunsmoor
Watson

Steelman

Sep 26, 2016
Here's my roster with M. McLeod and Bastian back as I believe that will happen. With Bastian back I'd say Gibson gets traded as defense is very deep.

Michnac - M.McLeod - Bastian
Fox - R. McLeod - Tippett
Boomhower - Cascagnette - Harrogate
Washkurak - Little - Titus
Dow/Schwindt/Dickerson (trade)/Gaylor

Hague - Moverare
Rippon - Osmanski
Harley - Wells
Gravelle

Ingham
Dunsmoor
Watson

From what I've heared (friends of Bastians) Njd is either playing him on the wing in the AHL or sending him back to junior to play a full year of center to increase foot speed and complete game. (50/50)

That lineup is looking nice and deep. Need some help on the back end though, deep but young and inexperienced. Gibson is gone next year no matter what. Was irrelevant last year as a 19 year old, cant move the puck up at all. Kid jumped in front of any shot though, ill give him that. Osmanski was also disappointing last year, although with limited ice and playing with Gibson. Look for him to make a jump this year, trying to earn himself a contract (doubt it).

Should have 3 good lines next year though no matter what. (w/ 1 of Bastian or Mcleod back) and a 4th line that is better than last years (not hard lol)

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
From what I've heared (friends of Bastians) Njd is either playing him on the wing in the AHL or sending him back to junior to play a full year of center to increase foot speed and complete game. (50/50)

That lineup is looking nice and deep. Need some help on the back end though, deep but young and inexperienced. Gibson is gone next year no matter what. Was irrelevant last year as a 19 year old, cant move the puck up at all. Kid jumped in front of any shot though, ill give him that. Osmanski was also disappointing last year, although with limited ice and playing with Gibson. Look for him to make a jump this year, trying to earn himself a contract (doubt it).

Should have 3 good lines next year though no matter what. (w/ 1 of Bastian or Mcleod back) and a 4th line that is better than last years (not hard lol)

Better redo your depth chart. Longterm injury to a centreman in jersey. Bye bye Mcleod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->