Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
You get around Scooter! Yeah, I haven't seen nor read anything neg e him at all. Sounds like Carter and him are friends, used to live together. JR seems to have done well here, the highest draft choice is a few years ahead.
Hi Spider:
I have grandsons who play/played AAA and Jr A in the Ottawa Valley so I got to see the Ottawa kids in tournaments etc. I have a brother with Kitchener season tickets, and have seen a lot Rangers games.
The fans will love McHugh I think. Works hard is tough and can skate like the wind.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Hi Spider:
I have grandsons who play/played AAA and Jr A in the Ottawa Valley so I got to see the Ottawa kids in tournaments etc. I have a brother with Kitchener season tickets, and have seen a lot Rangers games.
The fans will love McHugh I think. Works hard is tough and can skate like the wind.

I like the Aud and am going there for the game this year. McHugh has nothing but great things said about him throughout the board. I know he isn't a top prospect but I like what I have heard about him and he seems to fit the mould JR has. Getting Carter, Laser were good additions and McHugh seems to be along those lines. Didn't cost much especially if he is a OA next year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I like the Aud and am going there for the game this year. McHugh has nothing but great things said about him throughout the board. I know he isn't a top prospect but I like what I have heard about him and he seems to fit the mould JR has. Getting Carter, Laser were good additions and McHugh seems to be along those lines. Didn't cost much especially if he is a OA next year.
IMO you are getting one of the best PK players in the OHL. He has fought a couple of times but had broken jaw recently getting hit with a puck on the bench. He scored a game winner against the Attack Friday. Broke through the defense at high speed and scored an amazing goal.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
IMO you are getting one of the best PK players in the OHL. He has fought a couple of times but had broken jaw recently getting hit with a puck on the bench. He scored a game winner against the Attack Friday. Broke through the defense at high speed and scored an amazing goal.

Either the Rangers thread is one burner account or this guy is worth watching going forward. Sounds like the kind of player the Trout look for. Should be interesting to see if they team him up with Carter and Laser in NB tomorrow.

Seriously, not one bad word at all about this guy, how often does that happen on these boards? JR and the boys have been shrewd on the type of players they bring in on trades. Secondary talent players if you will, but character players.

Reactions: Scooter44

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Either the Rangers thread is one burner account or this guy is worth watching going forward. Sounds like the kind of player the Trout look for. Should be interesting to see if they team him up with Carter and Laser in NB tomorrow.

Seriously, not one bad word at all about this guy, how often does that happen on these boards? JR and the boys have been shrewd on the type of players they bring in on trades. Secondary talent players if you will, but character players.
We in KW feel McKenzie got beat on the trade. McHugh is an amazing two way forward that proved his worth in the play offs last year. Him and Carter are close friends. Will be staying with Damian's parents house who he probably knows.
He will be off to a quick start.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
We in KW feel McKenzie got beat on the trade. McHugh is an amazing two way forward that proved his worth in the play offs last year. Him and Carter are close friends. Will be staying with Damian's parents house who he probably knows.
He will be off to a quick start.

I'm really excited to see what he can bring to the team as they push to hold down a playoff spot in the east. I also expect him to be an offensive leader on the team next year as an OA.

Currently I'd say we are looking at an OA group of Ham, McHugh, Clarke which should be pretty strong

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Interesting trade made right at the end of the trade deadline.

Little to PBO for Isaacson and a 2019 3rd. I liked Little and will miss his physicality but the team must value their other young forwards over him. It sounds like Isaacson will be able to replace Little's physicality for the rest of this season with the ability to chip in a bit of scoring as well

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The draft choice helps as well. Didn't see this coming, bit of a surprise. Rather liked Little's play.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
The draft choice helps as well. Didn't see this coming, bit of a surprise. Rather liked Little's play.
He just didn’t seem to be able crack the top six forward group. At times he looked great and I am pretty sure he will get more ice time in Petesville. He is a big strong kid who plays with grit. My bet is that he will shine with a change in teams.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough one last night. Ukko had a ceremony before the game and got a shutout. Triut down to 5 D for the game, looks like a tall order in the Soo tonight.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
With the sell off it looks like J Ingham is the only player left who dressed for the final, less then 24 months ago, league sure changes.

Will be interesting to see the team going forward, they now have some draft picks and some room to move around.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Rough weekend for the Trout. Now up to a 5 game losing streak and down to 8th place in the standings. I would like to see them hang on to a playoff spot to get some experience but a high draft pick is also appealing for this rebuild.

As well it looks like they released both of their imports. I'm not too surprised about Zuyev but sad to see Reisnecker go, I definitely thought he had the potential to be an impact OHLer. Sometimes it can just be tough for the players to make the transition to living and playing in another country

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I was aware Reisenecker was released but not Zuyev. Has to be a tough transition to say the least.

The Trout have had good effort overall despite the results. Some playoff experience would be a good thing but getting a higher draft slot wouldn’t be a bad thing either. Hopefully they make the right moves so the team can be a contender in a couple of years.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Hoping the Steelheads can snap their 5 game losing streak against Flint tonight. Unfortunately the Firebirds have been playing their best hockey of the season recently. They're going to have to start collecting points as Barrie is awfully close in the standing after an impressive win over London last night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Snaps a losing streak. The first line of Cater, Lazer and Prueter seem to have some pop. I have been liking McHugh as well, seems to be on the right spot on the ice.

Canade played defense and did well. Barbosa and Walker are out, and Zuyev no longer listed on the roster. Canade got major ice time, and was much effective then a call up would have been.

Washer throws hands with Dellandrea, one long scrap where both landed some bombs, lost their lids and neither one landed on the ice when they got separated. I am not a fighting, goon guy, but I like that Washer can step up once in a while.

Felt a bit bad for Vella, he played more games for the Steelheads last year then he played prior in the O and had a 17 and 10 record on a team that just was a bit over 500.

Reactions: Scooter44

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good weekend, 6 pts, like the effort the team puts out. Ingham was pretty sharp today.

Barbossa back from injury, but Canade left after a hit into the boards, holding his arm.

The Trout had a good weekend, while they won't go far in the playoffs, it is hard to be critical for them. JR sure seems to keep them skating and working.

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Great weekend by the Trout! Team looks like they are starting to gel with the new lineup although i have noticed a bit of a line blender going on with the forwards.

Glad to see Harley (9), Schwindt (131) and Washkurak (134) rated by NHL Central Scouting among NA Skaters. Looking forward to seeing if Washkurak and Schwindt can improve their draft stock over the rest of the season with their increased ice time and PP opportunity

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Harley has the wheels and tools to be a high pick. He has really improved defensively, not making quite the same mistakes that he was.

Like Washer, big fan but he has a lot of work to do to be a pro. Knocked off his feet too often, but that could be a developing skill with strength and coaching. He has it under the ribs though, great heart. Schwindt has been looking stronger as the year goes along. Will be interesting as Steelfishbowl said to see them fill out the leadership roles with the team moving forward.

Canade stepped in and played D as the Tout were a bit short lately. Barbossa is back back Canade didn't return after a hit intobthe boards, looked to be favouring a arm. Judging from the loud expletive as he was going to the bench it looks like it may be a while.

Great effort thia weekend. No body had to expect much this season, great start notwithstanding, and with the trades for choices and the team going forward one had to be optimistic. J Richmond seems to get them skating and working.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Big 3 in 3 weekend, games against Barrie, Hamilton and Sudbury. Hopefully the Trout remain on a roll, possibly could sneak into the 5th spot in the playoffs.

Any one heard anything about Canade, Walker?

Town hall meeting after Sun game, not sure if I can hang around for it though.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
Hey All! I’m going to be at the game on Sunday, is there anywhere that would be a good place to eat before the game that would be close to the arena?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->