Mississauga Steelheads 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Saginaw is a hardcore town with some rough neighborhoods. Guess what? The organization doesn't have the kids walking through those areas wearing LA Dodgers gear at 3am. You're right. There's plenty of areas with cool stuff where you'd be totally fine relaxing, playing your guitar. If you get critiqued by passers by, I'd just stay quiet though.

Of course not, hell the GTA has some hell holes as bad as anywhere, I live right next to Rexdale where people get shot often, kids, a pregnant woman, etc. I am sure the players and billets live in better neighbourhoods then me. However a family may not be so eager for their son to play across the border if they had a choice, you know how hockey parents can be.
If you get critiqued by passers by, I'd just stay quiet though.[/QUOTE]

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

In this day and age that applies to pretty much anywhere.........

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Of course not, hell the GTA has some hell holes as bad as anywhere, I live right next to Rexdale where people get shot often, kids, a pregnant woman, etc. I am sure the players and billets live in better neighbourhoods then me. However a family may not be so eager for their son to play across the border if they had a choice, you know how hockey parents can be.
If you get critiqued by passers by, I'd just stay quiet though.

Yup. It's EVERY city on some level. Saginaw is True old-school blue collar tough. Which is kind of my favorite type of city. It was well noted Ryan didn't want to play on this side of the border a few years ago, so it sounds like he's matured/broadened his outlook. Best of luck with CJ Clarke. He showed potential here. I thought he was gonna be a for sure 30 goal guy but it never translated. He's really struggled to finish this year. He has been skating hard lately though and was playing decent defensively on a team where that is sorely lacking.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yup. It's EVERY city on some level. Saginaw is True old-school blue collar tough. Which kind of my favorite type of city. It was well noted Ryan didn't want to play on this side of the border a few years ago, so it sounds like he's matured/broadened his outlook. Best of luck with CJ Clarke. He showed potential here. I thought he was gonna be a for sure 30 goal guy but it never translated. He's really struggled to finish this year. He has been skating hard lately though and was playing decent defensively on a team where that is sorely lacking.
You’d probably like Sudbury :) Very rabid hockey town too. Just need a winner.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ryan was picked by Flint and his older brother was already here. I believe the family is from the GTA, so it was likely more a family decision, keeping both at or near home. There is no reason for him to stay here now.

Looking forward to CJ Clarke.

Too lazy to get a passport right now, but when I do I plan on visiting Michigan and seeing some road games in Flint and Saginaw. Cheers!!

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Ryan was picked by Flint and his older brother was already here. I believe the family is from the GTA, so it was likely more a family decision, keeping both at or near home. There is no reason for him to stay here now.

Too lazy to get a passport right now, but when I do I plan on visiting Michigan and seeing some road games in Flint and Saginaw. Cheers!!

Hit me up when you come to Saginaw!

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Will do, but I have been talking about getting across the border for a couple of years!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice comeback for the Trout. Really like Carter and Lazer. Didn't agree with the "strategy" the Petes used at the end of the game with the Trout goalie pulled, granted if they had hit the net once, game over.

Another shoe has to drop, no? I really can't see Tippet staying here to play out his junior career here, expecting a move announced soon. No insider, just speculation.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Amazing comeback, Lazer has been on fire recently and is carrying the team's offensive load. Glad to see Washkurak and Schwindt stepping up with their increased ice time. Those two are going to have to be leaders on this team going forward, especially if Tippett is traded

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Amazing comeback, Lazer has been on fire recently and is carrying the team's offensive load. Glad to see Washkurak and Schwindt stepping up with their increased ice time. Those two are going to have to be leaders on this team going forward, especially if Tippett is traded

Washer has been impressing me since the end of last year. I frankly wasn't surprised he went from jersey 92 to 9 this year, reminds me a bit of the older McLeod in style and work effort at least, however he gets knocked around a lot. Another year will help there.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
And the other shoe has dropped. While I will miss watching 91, 74, the trades had to happen. Kind of cool they are on the same team, suddenly I have a team to follow in the West. It would be cool to see them go on a deep run through the playoffs.

Swamp Rat

Nov 2, 2017

Momma McLeod ruled the roost when Ryan was a 16 year old. Now that he is going on 20, he can speak for himself, especially to a contender many aren't talking about.

Reactions: three dog night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough one today as the Trout got off to a slow start. Team deserved better, not a strong game in goal.

Pennman likes to hit and had a much better game today, a bit sloppy in Oshawa.

Killer road trip coming, NB, Sudbury, Soo 3 in 3. Ranger has to get a start next weekend.

The only NHL drafted player is now Ingham. Going to be tough the rest of the year, but the future looks much better now then it did without the trades.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Tough one today as the Trout got off to a slow start. Team deserved better, not a strong game in goal.

Pennman likes to hit and had a much better game today, a bit sloppy in Oshawa.

Killer road trip coming, NB, Sudbury, Soo 3 in 3. Ranger has to get a start next weekend.

The only NHL drafted player is now Ingham. Going to be tough the rest of the year, but the future looks much better now then it did without the trades.

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
If the new players buy into JR hockey they should be at least a .500 the rest of the way and with the right first round opponent they could win a round. That is an pretty optimistic statement but they are a fast rugged team who should be difficult to play against. They have a passable top six and a pretty capable top 4 defensemen.
Lazy penalties and lack of discipline hurt them on Sunday. I lost count of the giveaways, many of them unforced, a few of the guys stayed out way too long on their shifts and were too gassed to keep track of their man or hustle on the back check.My impression of Coach Richmond is that he does not like to lose and isn’t quiet about it.
Next weekend will be very interesting.
I wonder if Saginaw will be good enough to get themselves to the Memorial Cup. Ryan and Owen certainly have made them a better team. JR did pretty well in adding assets for the future IMO.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They will continue to work hard, they usually do. I think a playoff round is beyond their reach this year, looks like the top 4 in the East have been adding. You never know, but it won't be easy.

I like the moves, the team needed draft choices badly, now they have options moving ahead.

Reactions: Scooter44

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA

Mississauga Steelheads @OHLSteelheads

2757.png
TRADE ALERT
2757.png
#Steelheads add veteran forward in trade with @OHLRangers

Details: https://bit.ly/2Fkv8GL
5:31 PM - Jan 8, 2019

Sounds like a good deal, looking forward to seeing him in the lineup. Seems he was highly thought of in Ktown. With the Rangers playing Missy only twice a year and last year their trip in was a school game I haven't seen him play. Could be a OA next year as well.​

Reactions: Scooter44

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016

Mississauga Steelheads @OHLSteelheads

2757.png
TRADE ALERT
2757.png
#Steelheads add veteran forward in trade with @OHLRangers

Details: https://bit.ly/2Fkv8GL
5:31 PM - Jan 8, 2019

Sounds like a good deal, looking forward to seeing him in the lineup. Seems he was highly thought of in Ktown. With the Rangers playing Missy only twice a year and last year their trip in was a school game I haven't seen him play. Could be a OA next year as well.​
Watched him play in Kitchener as well as in rep hockey in Ottawa. Very quick skater unselfish with lots of heart. A very good pick up IMO.
The second half should be fun. Too bad JR couldn’t find a tough big defensemen to add but........,,,

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
McHugh was a fan favourite in KTown. Extremely fast hard working player with a bit of sandpaper. Not many work harder. You will see him on a few exciting breakaways. Seems to manage one or two every game.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Watched him play in Kitchener as well as in rep hockey in Ottawa. Very quick skater unselfish with lots of heart. A very good pick up IMO.
The second half should be fun. Too bad JR couldn’t find a tough big defensemen to add but........,,,

You get around Scooter! Yeah, I haven't seen nor read anything neg about him at all. Sounds like Carter and him are friends, used to live together. JR seems to have done well here, the highest draft choice is a few years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad