Movies: Mission Impossible: Fallout

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Legit question. What action movies of this decade would you put ahead of it?

Honestly, I'd have to sit down and think about it but MI just didn't do it for me. A couple off the top of my head would be John Wick, Mad Max and even MI Ghost Protocol which I thought was better.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Honestly, I'd have to sit down and think about it but MI just didn't do it for me. A couple off the top of my head would be John Wick, Mad Max and even MI Ghost Protocol which I thought was better.
Definitely some good picks.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Saw the movie today; definitely a great movie but I'd probably rank it #2 in the MI franchise. I liked the set pieces and story of Ghost Protocol more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Saw the movie today; definitely a great movie but I'd probably rank it #2 in the MI franchise. I liked the set pieces and story of Ghost Protocol more.

The great thing about the MI franchise is that it has produced 3 straight quality outings. When MI:3 looks like a bad movie in comparison you know the bar is set pretty high, because MI:3 is still better than 80% of movies out there.

Kind of OT, but I find it amusing that Wolf Blitzer has appeared in the last few MI movies, and his roles and dialogue have been getting larger.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Saw it again, and maybe too soon. The stunts/action sequences still are wonderful, but what goes on between the stunts definitely seems more threadbare the second time around.

Reactions: Cerebral

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've yet to watch a single Mission Impossible movie. I tried to watch Ghost Protocol but it bored me and I stopped after like 20-30 minutes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was really surprised at the depth in which Cruise portrays Hunt now. This film puts him back in my good books.

Agree it was fantastic.

Learning that Cruise did all the helicopter scenes himself as the pilot takes it to the next level.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I knew that he does his own stunts, but that video drives home what that really means. That's nuts. He literally could've died doing half a dozen of those stunts and gotten badly hurt on half a dozen more. I tend to have a hard time appreciating action scenes nowadays because it's hard to suspend disbelief, knowing that there's camera/editing trickery and the actors aren't really in control or in any real danger. When I finally see this, it might be one of the few where I can really appreciate the action.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Saw it finally. Good movie, but for me there were simply too much "On the Edge moments". Also some moments without logic, but, that is MI. Overall, i will give 8 from 10 pucks.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I knew that he does his own stunts, but that video drives home what that really means. That's nuts. He literally could've died doing half a dozen of those stunts and gotten badly hurt on half a dozen more. I tend to have a hard time appreciating action scenes nowadays because it's hard to suspend disbelief, knowing that there's camera/editing trickery and the actors aren't really in control or in any real danger. When I finally see this, it might be one of the few where I can really appreciate the action.

You didn’t realize this already after the last MI movie where the guy strapped himself to the outside of a real airplane as it took off, and did it for 8 separate takes? ;)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Not quite worth the hype but still a really solid movie, 7.5/10 for me

Tom Cruise may have outlandish beliefs but no doubt he's still a great action star. The fact that he still does all his own stunts is insane.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Enjoyed that there some continuity with the previous movie. Accidentally stumbled on minor spoilers ahead of time which maybe took away a smidge from the suspense. Watched it with a buddy who has a fear of heights and he had to look away during several scenes (almost wish I had insisted on watching on the IMAX screen).

On one of the stunts, Cruise breaks his ankle and that was the take they ended up using. Pretty gruesome if you want to rewatch the trailer in slomo.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I re-watched MI1 & 2 these last two nights for the first time in at least 15 years. MI1 holds up and is still fun. It has dated special effects and technology, including a laughable depiction of internet usenet groups (they didn't work like e-mail and no spy would communicate via them, since messages were public), but that adds to the charm. Brian De Palma films always deliver suspense and are very rewatchable.

MI2 was a bit boring and tough to get through. Scenes that De Palma probably would've made more suspenseful, John Woo does nothing with except shoot for style points. The film drags until it gets to each fight, but the "Hong Kong style" action just seems a little silly. Hunt is suddenly a martial arts expert, doing his best Jean-Claude Van Damme impressions with kicks to the head and jumping into the air to kick with both feet, even though he did none of that in the first movie. It doesn't help that it's hard to care about the plot and the villain is weak. I agree that it's the worst of the franchise by a long shot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I have oddly fond memories of MI2, if only because it coincided with a good time in my life (recommitted myself to college after slacking for a year, Devils winning the Stanley Cup). Also I believe it was the first DVD I ever bought when it was on sale for $15 (back when they were still $25+ I think).

But yeah, definitely the worst of the bunch but I'll still watch it for a few minutes if I come across it while channel surfing. And in a weird way, MI2 also affected the X-Men movies in that Dougray Scott was the original first choice to play Wolverine. But he was stuck doing MI2 and they had to recast Wolverine with a mostly unknown Hugh Jackman instead. Reading a couple different stories; X-Men director said Scott got hurt doing a motorcycle stunt which set the MI2 production back.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I re-watched MI1 & 2 these last two nights for the first time in at least 15 years. MI1 holds up and is still fun. It has dated special effects and technology, including a laughable depiction of internet usenet groups (they didn't work like e-mail and no spy would communicate via them, since messages were public), but that adds to the charm. Brian De Palma films always deliver suspense and are very rewatchable.

MI2 was a bit boring and tough to get through. Scenes that De Palma probably would've made more suspenseful, John Woo does nothing with except shoot for style points. The film drags until it gets to each fight, but the "Hong Kong style" action just seems a little silly. Hunt is suddenly a martial arts expert, doing his best Jean-Claude Van Damme impressions with kicks to the head and jumping into the air to kick with both feet, even though he did none of that in the first movie. It doesn't help that it's hard to care about the plot and the villain is weak. I agree that it's the worst of the franchise by a long shot.

MI2 is The Final Frontier of the MI series.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
One of the funner films I have seen in recent memory. Maybe even funner than Face -

tenor.gif

7/10
giphy.mp4

giphy.mp4

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
MI2 is The Final Frontier of the MI series.

For some reason, I was actually reminded of Nemesis a few times. It may've just been the scenes with green and black in them. I can see what you're getting at, though: weak plot, weak villain and weak direction. It is kind of The Final Frontier of MI.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For some reason, I was actually reminded of Nemesis a few times. It may've just been the scenes with green and black in them. I can see what you're getting at, though: weak plot, weak villain and weak direction. It is kind of The Final Frontier of MI.

Both movies have this overriding sense of tackiness about them.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Shamelessly love MI2 even though it’s the worst. I thought Cruise had great chemistry with Thandie Newton.

I like MI2 a lot too. I think it’s easily John Woo’s best American film and totally understand why people dislike it, but I think it totally rocks. Love the cheesy Hong Kong action style and look that Woo brought to the series.

Tom Cruise literally looks like a live action anime character with his over the ear long hair style. The film also has the best soundtrack by far of all the MI films. It contains Metallica’s last great song, “I, Disappear” which was also Jason Newsted’s final song with the band.

Also like Anthony Hopkins cameo as the IMF chief, wish they would’ve brought him back for more films.

One other thing that seems amazing that most people don’t realize is that MI2 is the highest grossing film of the MI series and the second highest grossing film of Cruise’s career.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Is this film still gonna be in Cineplex theatres in regular 2D after this upcoming week? Really wanna see it but have exams going on this week.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Didn't like fallout. I thought it was too farfetched. I understand the premise of MI is doing the impossible. It seemed to me the whole movie was impossible, not just 1 or 2 scenes. Like Cruise sprinting for what seems like 2-3 kilometres without taking a breath. Not even Olympic athletes can do that. Helicopter scene where he can fly like a fighter pilot, dodge and weave despite the helicopter being on fire, and then hit the other helicopter. Don't get me wrong, I like action scenes. But i think it was too over the top and if the movie loses any realism, then it hurts the movie because it is just not believable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad