Movies: Mission Impossible: Fallout

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not a huge fan of RT compared to Metacritic which gives it an 86/100. That's very promising. Getting hype.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bump. The hype on this one seems to be building as it gets closer to release and the reviews are coming in off the chain. 95% on RT right now with a lot of really high scores and effusive praise. Some reviewers are calling this one of the best action films ever made.

Not surprising. This is the most consistently entertaining and critically acclaimed action movie franchise today.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is the only franchise that I can think of that I've actually liked more with each new entry. I actually wasn't a big fan of the first two in the 90s. They were OK, but they didn't really resonate with me like they seemed to with most other people. I didn't really come around until I finally saw the third one many years after its release. That one, I appreciated (and I wish that Abrams had stuck to films like that, instead of ruining Star Trek and Star Wars, but that's for other threads), and I've been quick to watch and enjoy each of the ones since. They probably haven't gotten better per se. Maybe it's just that I appreciate the series better now because they feel like a throwback and I'm getting nostalgic.

Last edited:

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
I saw it and I have to say the helicopter chase was one of the best all time action sequences I've ever seen.

Definitely worth a watch. My wife found it hard to follow but it wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Epsilon

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Actually read up on the movie. Apparently the plane sequence he did 100 jumps to get the right shots. It was just awesome how it all felt like you were in that plane with them.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
One of the better pure action movies ever made, full of twists that aren't bat **** crazy, and a lot of fun/tension throughout to be had. The broad spectrum story events outline/style are wash and repeat obviously, but this movie is A++ thrilling action adventure entertainment.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Please. Please do yourselves a favor and watch this on the big screen. Best action movie I've watched since Mad Max 2. Completely agree with those above me. The twists are awesome, and that final sequence is unreal.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I kept picking my jaw up off the floor during this one. Fallout is liberally sprinkled with fantastic action sequences, all seemingly life-threatening in one way or another to Tom Cruise. Then the movie tops itself by ending with a 30 minute finale that is among the most thrilling extended action sequences that I've ever seen. Mammothly entertaining.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All action movies should take note - this is how you make an action movie. The set pieces were ambitious and crafted without hindering the plot or dragging out the movie. McQuarrie and the writers effortlessly bring together at least 6 different compelling story elements, delivering an astoundingly complex action plot without letting it become confusing nor weighed down by its own complexity. The climax was thrilling, the resolution was 100% satisfying, and the character setup for the 7th movie is tantalizing.

That whole sequence at the end between Hunt, Julia and Ilsa - this is how you successfully execute a deux ex machina in a satisfying manner.
The whole conversation between Julia and Ethan in the tent, Ethan's initial worry when he sees Ilsa and Julia approaching each other, Ilsa's whisper (I think she says "thank you") to Julia, Ethan's relief and release after he realizes Julia's given him "permission" to move on. The whole thing is well directed, well written, and well acted.

Bond producers better step up, because MI has produced 3 (arguably 4) straight outings that are better than any Bond movie in the last 50 years.

I will also add that McQuarrie brilliantly uses Cavill in a non-traditional strongman role, utilizing Cavill's aloof line delivery as an advantage rather than letting it drag down his character.

5/5, would (and will) watch again, would also recommend to anyone without hesitation. It's a great movie, better than Mad Max IMO. The only downside is I'm not sure they can top this for MI:7.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Seeing it tonight. Haven't seen a movie in the theaters in forever but i'm looking forward to this.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Just saw it. It's flat-out the best action movie of all time. Is this doesn't pick up some serious Oscar nominations/wins in the technical categories then there's something wrong. Honestly, a best picture nom probably won't happen but would be totally deserved.

Reactions: Ol' Jase and TJ21

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What can I say that hasn't already said? Simply phenomenal.

I have to echo that this is one of the best action movies in recent memory. Every single sequence is perfectly done and there's enough breathtaking scenery that even at a breakneck pace you can't help but hold your breath at the combo of the high octane action with the beautiful backdrops.

I was completely blown away by the whole experience. Sure you have to turn your brain off a bit at some parts but that's par for the course for the series.

It was like going on an amazing roller coaster for the first time in your life and wanting to run right back to the line to get back on it again. Can't recommend it enough.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just saw it. It's flat-out the best action movie of all time. Is this doesn't pick up some serious Oscar nominations/wins in the technical categories then there's something wrong. Honestly, a best picture nom probably won't happen but would be totally deserved.

If Rogue Nation was about Ethan Hunt "the legend", Fallout is about Ethan Hunt "the man". The movie really does a great job showing his humanity and virtue despite the absurdity of the situations he finds himself in.

McQuarrie has kind of made this his own Nolan-trilogy. I would be surprised if the studio didn't ask him back to direct a third movie.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Was legitimately blown away at how good it was.

I was really surprised at the depth in which Cruise portrays Hunt now. This film puts him back in my good books.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
If Rogue Nation was about Ethan Hunt "the legend", Fallout is about Ethan Hunt "the man". The movie really does a great job showing his humanity and virtue despite the absurdity of the situations he finds himself in.

McQuarrie has kind of made this his own Nolan-trilogy. I would be surprised if the studio didn't ask him back to direct a third movie.

This definitely needs a trilogy to fully close the door on the whole Syndicate/Solomon Lane storyline. With the obvious ending to provide finality to it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
...Honestly, a best picture nom probably won't happen but would be totally deserved.
I'd be very surprised if MI: Fallout didn't get a nomination (and I think Black Panther is an absolute lock for one, probably the front runner at this moment). Mad Max: Fury Road broke the action-movie barrier a couple of years ago, and movies like Get Out and even the AA winner last year, The Shape of Water, probably wouldn't have received nominations even ten years ago. In addition, it has been a very weak year for Hollywood mainstream film so far, and the rest of the field that will be coming out between now and January 1 looks exceptionally thin. Given the staying power that MI: Fallout will have, I'd say its chances of a nomination are excellent.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'd be very surprised if MI: Fallout didn't get a nomination (and I think Black Panther is an absolute lock for one, probably the front runner at the moment). Mad Max: Fury Road broke the action-movie barrier a couple of years ago, and movies like Get Out and even the AA winner last year, The Shape of Water, probably wouldn't have received nominations even ten years ago. In addition, it has been a very weak year for Hollywood mainstream film so far, and the rest of the field that will be coming out between now and January 1 looks exceptionally thin. Given the staying power that MI: Fallout will have, I'd say its chances of a nomination are excellent.

I definitely hope you're right.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Was good and I'm not a Cruise fan.

Unfortunately we missed everything that was said at the end in the last scene because the fire alarm went off at the theatre. Did we miss anything important?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well, I went in expecting it to be the best action movie of the decade and left pretty disappointed. Guess I went it expecting too much.

It was a decent action flick, but nothing to write home about. Don't understand massive hype to be honest.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, I went in expecting it to be the best action movie of the decade and left pretty disappointed. Guess I went it expecting too much.

It was a decent action flick, but nothing to write home about. Don't understand massive hype to be honest.
Legit question. What action movies of this decade would you put ahead of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad