Missed chances impact Minnesota Wild's Top 20 prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

tyler_graovac_minnesota_123114.jpg
Photo: Tyler Graovac leads the Minnesota Wild’s thin prospect depth at center. (courtesy of Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire)

If the Minnesota Wild should fail to qualify for the post-season, a lack of organizational depth is a key culprit. With Erik Haula, Jordan Schroeder, Darcy Kuemper and Jason Zucker all graduated since the last Top 20, the depth chart looks as thin as it has been since spring 2010. Some questionable calls around the 2011 draft, plus the picks and assets traded away for Jason Pominville and Matt Moulson, hampered the team’s ability to acquire elite talent. There are some promising young players, but not many from this list will be suiting up in St.… read more

The post Missed chances impact Minnesota Wild’s Top 20 prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Pretty terrible looking. Need to restock this year with high end talent in the first two rounds. When are the Wild going to get lucky and hit a homerun at forward? Hopefully this is the year.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Our 25 and under line up includes.

Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Dumba and Folin

Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, Nino, Haula, Schroeder,

Keumper.

With Suter and Parise signed till for ever, we are not hurting on the club level.

Every team can always improve. We are not going to be hurting in 2 years with a lack of youth.

In 3-5 is when it will show and we have time to address that in the next few drafts.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Keumper.

With Suter and Parise signed till for ever, we are not hurting on the club level.

Every team can always improve. We are not going to be hurting in 2 years with a lack of youth.

In 3-5 is when it will show and we have time to address that in the next few drafts.

Truth.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Well our potential roster in 3 years does not look half bad on paper.

Parise - Granlund - Tuch
Nino - 2015 1st - Coyle
Zucker - Koivu - Pominville
Haula - Graovoc - Gabriel
Gogol

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Olofsson - Folin

Depth:
2016 1st
2017 1st
Gilmour
Lucia
Peterson
Michalek
Kahkonen
Labbe
Duke
Lang
Belpeido
Gelinas
Draeger
Jenys
Bertschy

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Keumper.

Our defense looks solid even if we move Spurgeon out but Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, Haula and Schroeder really haven't proven anything in the NHL. Nino really either.

If we think that one of those guys is going to take over for Pominville's 25-30 goals a season and Parise's 25-30 goals a season, I have a bridge in New York to sell you. I think Coyle COULD eventually replace Koivu at best. Zucker might be a poor man version of Parise and el Nino as well but I don't see them scoring in the high 20s, low 30s consistently or even be the game changers we need.

Tuch might but he's a long way off.

Furthermore, we have no centers at all.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Our defense looks solid even if we move Spurgeon out but Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, Haula and Schroeder really haven't proven anything in the NHL. Nino really either.

If we think that one of those guys is going to take over for Pominville's 25-30 goals a season and Parise's 25-30 goals a season, I have a bridge in New York to sell you. I think Coyle COULD eventually replace Koivu at best. Zucker might be a poor man version of Parise and el Nino as well but I don't see them scoring in the high 20s, low 30s consistently or even be the game changers we need.

Tuch might but he's a long way off.

Furthermore, we have no centers at all.

Jason Zucker, 48 games, 18 goals, in pace for 31 goals.
Nino Niederreiter, 58 games, 19 goals, in pace for 27 goals.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jason Zucker, 48 games, 18 goals, in pace for 31 goals.
Nino Niederreiter, 58 games, 19 goals, in pace for 27 goals.

but I don't see them scoring in the high 20s, low 30s consistently or even be the game changers we need.

Also Nino went on a pretty long cold streak for a while there.

I see them as good useful players but I don't see them as first line players but good second line or third line players that might get 20-25 goals a season if that...Or depending if the coaching staff uses them right.

Zucker though is starting to build up an injury history.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Also Nino went on a pretty long cold streak for a while there.

I see them as good useful players but I don't see them as first line players but good second line or third line players that might get 20-25 goals a season if that...Or depending if the coaching staff uses them right.

Zucker though is starting to build up an injury history.

Injuries are a matter of luck after all. I can argue that no player could ever reach 35 goals with the Wild, because injuries will happen anyway.

I think we have a great young core to move forwards with, especially if we pick a promising center this upcoming draft. I have faith in this team and believe that we can make deep playoff runs in the future. Only person I actually want replaced currently in this team is Vanek.

But that's just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad