Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg
Considering he is putting up consistent 40 goal pace seasons also with ppg, seems very likely.

I bet when Couts was putting up 37 points at the same age as Mattthews you never thought he would be at 70+

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Draisaitl(who is better than Matthews), says he covets winning the Selke on day.

It's gonna be scary when Edm is able to successfully split him and McD up

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Considering he is putting up consistent 40 goal pace seasons also with ppg, seems very likely.

I bet when Couts was putting up 37 points at the same age as Mattthews you never thought he would be at 70+
Just read this: TSN article on the 2011 draft class

The common hockey fan would undoubtedly say that Kucherov is more valuable than Couts, but Yost does a great job at highlighting how important Couts is, even going as far as suggesting that Couts is the most valuable player from that draft.

Matthews isn't going to increase his point totals indefinitely. It is likely that he is nearing or at his peak offensive production, but will become more valuable as he matures into a more well rounded centre. If he doesn't focus on improving his defensive responsibilities, he will certainly be less valuable than a player like Couts.

Couts is an exception, like the Sedins, in that his peak offensive years came after the majority of the NHL players, who tend to peak in their early 20s.

You've been given the answer plenty of times already, but no Flyer fan is trading Couts for Matthews, especially given their terms and cap hits.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Just read this: TSN article on the 2011 draft class

The common hockey fan would undoubtedly say that Kucherov is more valuable than Couts, but Yost does a great job at highlighting how important Couts is, even going as far as suggesting that Couts is the most valuable player from that draft.

Matthews isn't going to increase his point totals indefinitely. It is likely that he is nearing or at his peak offensive production, but will become more valuable as he matures into a more well rounded centre. If he doesn't focus on improving his defensive responsibilities, he will certainly be less valuable than a player like Couts.

Couts is an exception, like the Sedins, in that his peak offensive years came after the majority of the NHL players, who tend to peak in their early 20s.

You've been given the answer plenty of times already, but no Flyer fan is trading Couts for Matthews, especially given their terms and cap hits.
I know they woudnt trade for him straight up. Every team loves their guys. But to say he is more valuable is absurd

[Mod edit]

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Scorers are not necessarily that valuable, Patrick Kane had value only as long as Toews was a top two way center, as Toews has declined, Kane has been exposed as a defensive liability, along with DeBrincat.

The objective is to win games, not score goals - only to the extent that a player is a NET positive does he have value.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Read the article since you clearly don't understand how valuable a player like Couts is. This isn't even considering how cheap his contract is.
I know he is elite defensively, as every poster has told me. I actually really like him. But people arguing he is more valuable than Matthews is crazy. Couts has a cheap deal for 3 years then he is up for big bucks when he is 30

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
@kudymen I think it was this game against the Ducks. I think I remember rough stuff happening early in the game but the only video I can find is just this highlights recap. The shots clock in the video mostly matches the one in the screenshot at that particular point in the game so I think pretty much confirms that it was this game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@kudymen I think it was this game against the Ducks. I think I remember rough stuff happening early in the game but the only video I can find is just this highlights recap. The shots clock in the video mostly matches the one in the screenshot at that particular point in the game so I think pretty much confirms that it was this game.

You're correct.

I see Ryan White and Luke Schenn in the box together in that picture. Ryan White only played 2 games against the Ducks as a Flyer and the other one didn't have Luke Schenn in the lineup, so it had to be this game.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Good god, Medvedev was four years ago?

Time really does move slower when your team is playing horrendously.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know he is elite defensively, as every poster has told me. I actually really like him. But people arguing he is more valuable than Matthews is crazy. Couts has a cheap deal for 3 years then he is up for big bucks when he is 30

OK. But that hasn't happened yet. As of now his cap efficiency is through the roof. Couturier is far easier to build a team around.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
OK. But that hasn't happened yet. As of now his cap efficiency is through the roof. Couturier is far easier to build a team around.
Maybe for a cap strapped team. But say seattle was given the choice. They easily take Matthews easily given age and offensive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad