Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVIII - 2018/19 Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
meh more like a roughing major to me.eakinan is stupid for doing what he did, all he had to do is check Pavelski through the center of the body,but instead his dumbass pushed/shoved him further of balance than what he already was to the point where pavs couldn't recover and had no choice but to hit his head on the ice.
Pavelski probably would have recovered his fall better as he fell to the ice.

There is no justifying that call. It was a routine faceoff battle that Pavelski lost. If you want to give Eakin 2 minutes for being overly rambunctious, fine. Pavelski was not even injured from the Eakin crosscheck. He was injured due to incidental contact between he and Stastny.

It was an absolutely atrocious call at the worst possible time completely influenced by result of the play instead of the play itself.

The league HAS to implement video review for major penalties at this point.

All this being said, Vegas has to escape that powerplay with the lead still. Allowing 4 goals on a 5 minute powerplay is absolutely absurd. Gallant should have used a timeout after the 2nd goal to settle things down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A depleted Sharks team now playing a fully rested Avalanche team. Colorado may actually make it to the Conference final this year.

Blues are my favorite in the West, too. Unlike the other teams they have no real weakness this year.

Cheering hard for the Avs in that one. Which of course means the Sharks will win.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
There is no justifying that call. It was a routine faceoff battle that Pavelski lost. If you want to give Eakin 2 minutes for being overly rambunctious, fine. Pavelski was not even injured from the Eakin crosscheck. He was injured due to incidental contact between he and Stastny.

It was an absolutely atrocious call at the worst possible time completely influenced by result of the play instead of the play itself.

The league HAS to implement video review for major penalties at this point.

All this being said, Vegas has to escape that powerplay with the lead still. Allowing 4 goals on a 5 minute powerplay is absolutely absurd. Gallant should have used a timeout after the 2nd goal to settle things down.
Exactly. It was a bad call, but how you can allow 4 goals on a PP and not call a timeout during that slaughter is beyond me. He clearly didn't expect the Sharks to turn the entire game around during that PP, but he still should've done something to take the wind out of their sails.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Exactly. It was a bad call, but how you can allow 4 goals on a PP and not call a timeout during that slaughter is beyond me. He clearly didn't expect the Sharks to turn the entire game around during that PP, but he still should've done something to take the wind out of their sails.

Honestly, I think Fleury needed that timeout more than anyone. He got progressively more erratic as the powerplay continued and on the 4th goal, he was way out of position.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, that really wasn't a bad crosscheck. I have no idea how Pavelski managed to hurt himself so badly in that situation. Just bad luck, I guess.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, that really wasn't a bad crosscheck. I have no idea how Pavelski managed to hurt himself so badly in that situation. Just bad luck, I guess.

Stastny pile-drove him into the ice inadvertently as he was trying to get out to the point man.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Stastny pile-drove him into the ice inadvertently as he was trying to get out to the point man.
Yeah, I remember Stastny hitting him as well, but that didn't look so bad either. Maybe I should watch it again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then at worst it should have been double minors, cross checking and interference, and that would have been a bad call.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I hope the Czech channel I am usually watching (they are broadcasting NBC stuff) will replay the SJS game today. Considering the games are played at night CET, the games are often replayed, I am just not sure if the SJS will be on today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed for today, heh

The game is on right after I came from work, woooo

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I flat out hate the goalie interference and offsides review. But the officials should have the opportunity to look at a replay for penalties that they clearly don’t see. That’s an absolute joke that something like that can happen in a Game 7 playoff.

My two worst hockey injuries were from cross checks, so I'm not a fan of what is a seriously cheap "technique."

That said, it's hard to see how Eakin's cross was a major.

Clearly, the five minutes resulted from the League's misplaced focus on the effect of an infraction, instead of the actual infraction itself.

Here's the comment from the series supervisor, Don van Massenhoven:

“The referees called a crosschecking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury. In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty.”

You see this all the time and it results in wild inconsistency in how similar infractions are called.

If Pavs hadn't had the incidental contact with Stasny, and had bounced right back, there's no major and, possibly, not even a minor.

Then you have plays, like this one, that went unpunished. Why? I guess because Ghost didn't die.

giphy.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hockey Central:

"Bruins/Leafs was a pillow fight. Not the rough series people expected"
"Leafs didn't get beat up, they lost due to Boston having better depth"
"You need 8 good D to win, not 6"
"Dubas and Babcock need to get on the same page, because it's obvious, they are not"
"Babcock did not make adjustments. It bothers the stars. Just like it did in Detroit. Having Hyman wanting to dump and chase, helps neutralize Marner"
"All the teams that are advancing, can play a heavier game when needed. You don't need it every game, but when the game gets that way, it's nice to be able to play that way. The Leafs could only win 1 way"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Marner in a no win situation. You ask for the money you deserve, and you look selfish. If you don't ask, hard to look at yourself in the mirror"
"Babcock had the "I told you so" feel in his press conference. (shot at Dubas?)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
*sigh*

Desperate times call for desperate measures......

I’m not even sure Erik Karlsson would be better for the Flyers than Robert Hagg. We have too many offensive defensemen, and we need some heavy defensive presences to pair with them. I wouldn’t go near 1-way flash and dance types like Karlsson.

Ball is in your court, gentlemen.
Keith Jones was trashing his defense last night. He’ll never survive in this mediocre franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->