Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLII - The answer to life, the universe, and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
That's false, because I've been told if you can retain puck possession, you don't need to play defense - offense is the best defense.

And I always believe what I'm told around here. :laugh:
If you havent Dmen who can pass, you cant have puck possession.
If you havent Dmen who can skating, rushes, you cant have puck possession.

Just like us when we have Hagg on the ice and a lot of times the puck have oponnent' players. Thats why Hagg has so much hits and blocks, because of we havent puck.

Toronto has Ceci in TOP4. Hagg caliber Dman. That says everything.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kevin Hayes as well... same circumstance.

Torey Krug - UFA 2012 (3yr player)
Tyler Bozak - UFA 2009
Chris Tanev - UFA 2011 (1yr college)
Connor Sheary - UFA 2014
Alex Iafallo - UFA 2017
Nate Schmidt - UFA 2013 (3yr player)
Neal Pionk - UFA 2017 (2yr player, USHL)
Troy Stecher - UFA 2016 (3yr player)
Brandon Tanev - UFA 2016
Cam Talbot - UFA 2010 (3yr player)

are all last ~10 years. There is usually ~1 damn good one a year or thereabouts.

Strange that both Tanev brothers went undrafted.

Interesting that 4 were signed in a two year period (2016-17), might have been a reflection of re-evaluating players after the rule changes, though only Stecher was undersized.

Seems to be about as productive as signing junior players who slip through the draft or SHL/KHL players in their mid-20s who've blossomed late.
That is, you can find a few gems, but it's not a sustainable way of building an organization.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Strange that both Tanev brothers went undrafted.

Interesting that 4 were signed in a two year period (2016-17), might have been a reflection of re-evaluating players after the rule changes, though only Stecher was undersized.

Seems to be about as productive as signing junior players who slip through the draft or SHL/KHL players in their mid-20s who've blossomed late.
That is, you can find a few gems, but it's not a sustainable way of building an organization.

Oh yeh, there have been some very good Euros as well as CHL guys go undrafted in last few years... though CHL guys are more likely to go as overagers as in general clubs seem to overvalue CHL vs Euro leagues.

Best to have fingers in all the pies though if possible, or at least a pulse on all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh yeh, there have been some very good Euros as well as CHL guys go undrafted in last few years... though CHL guys are more likely to go as overagers as in general clubs seem to overvalue CHL vs Euro leagues.

Best to have fingers in all the pies though if possible, or at least a pulse on all.

I think it's harder for good teams to sign overage college and European guys unless they have a specific hole.
I mean I wouldn't sign with the Flyers as a forward until I see what Laczynski and Allison do, it's not like there's a lot of projected holes at the NHL level the next few years and adding those two might mean a long sojourn in the Lehigh Valley.

Undrafted CHL guys are easy, they just want a contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Muzzin and Rielly missing 39 combined games is more of an issue than Ceci.
Rielly is back tonight...and here is their 6 and the pairings according to Tim & Sid.

Rielly Ceci
Dermott Holl
Sandin Barrie

A coach playing Ceci and Holl over Barrie

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Nylander got market value for putting up two 61 point seasons before turning 22.

If Nolan Patrick had 61 points last season and again in 19-20, he'd be getting $7m+ as an RFA. Luckily for us, he has 61 points in his whole career.

Sorry, less about value and more about tactics. The Leafs either needed to come in around fair early or be prepared to let him sit out that year. Once it dragged into the season and affected the season (and lowered Nylander's play all year), it got clear right quick that Dubas couldn't repeat that again. It left him in a bad bargaining position and Marner and Matthews' agents knew it.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
682d34e8-ff4c-4650-98a3-07d0a2b495eb-jpeg.334347

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So the game starts 1-1 and they play the full 60 minutes tonight not from where the game ended last time?

My guess is that they have their normal warm-up, anthem, all that stuff, play starts with whatever time was left on the clock when it happened, around 7 minutes iirc, they cut the ice, and the second period starts.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Basically LA and Detroit breaking things :laugh:

View attachment 334535

Just copied over data from NaturalStatTrick into Excel and played around with some columns and basic formulas. Aka busy day at work.
Oh... I didn't even think of doing that. I just assumed there must be a different website that had it all displayed and you just copy/pasted it. Thanks for doing this. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad