Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLI -- It's bigger than "humongous"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Dudes I'm watching a 30 for 30 on the Miracle on Ice from the Russian perspective....Tretiak got drafted by the Habs in 1984 and THEY DIDN'T EVEN TELL HIM and when he found out they wouldn't let him go.

These guys on the Soviet team didn't play hockey, they played for the army. Seriously. They would get service awards for their play and they'd be honored in their army uniforms. Fetisov had to fight and fight with Lou through bugged hotel rooms and with the Secretary of Defense for the USSR to be released from the army to work as a free man in order to play in the NHL for Jersey.

I didn't realize that when Detroit won the Cup it was the first time that former Soviet players won it. Fetisov and Larionov were teammates through the late 70s to the late 80s when Fetisov left and Larionov followed (with a handful of other non-Soviet/Olympic staples) all to the Red Wings. Fetisov got the cup from Yzerman first, and he and Larionov joint carried it around the ice. Crazy. The documentary really showed just how...regimented...Soviet hockey (just like the actual government was) and it was just insane. Truly hard to believe. Lou literally was calling this guy every day after meeting him and silently signing the contract to "make sure he was still ok" then hang up immediately so the call couldn't be traced.

This "Russian factor" wasn't just about "deciding" to play in the NHL. It was about not getting killed or actually exiled to "the land of the white bear" like Fetisov was threatened by the Soviet Secretary of Defense.

Before the '81 Canada Cup Tikhonov (the Soviet head coach) literally kicked Valeri Kharlamov (one of the best players of the era in the world) off the bus to the airport for "unknown reasons". People speculate it was over conditioning issues....Kharlamov was planning to retire after the tourny...but Kharlamov's son hinted what actually happened was different. That night, on the way home, Kharlamov was killed in a car accident.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Dudes I'm watching a 30 for 30 on the Miracle on Ice from the Russian perspective....Tretiak got drafted by the Habs in 1984 and THEY DIDN'T EVEN TELL HIM and when he found out they wouldn't let him go.

These guys on the Soviet team didn't play hockey, they played for the army. Seriously. They would get service awards for their play and they'd be honored in their army uniforms. Fetisov had to fight and fight with Lou through bugged hotel rooms and with the Secretary of Defense for the USSR to be released from the army to work as a free man in order to play in the NHL for Jersey.

I didn't realize that when Detroit won the Cup it was the first time that former Soviet players won it. Fetisov and Larionov were teammates through the late 70s to the late 80s when Fetisov left and Larionov followed (with a handful of other non-Soviet/Olympic staples) all to the Red Wings. Fetisov got the cup from Yzerman first, and he and Larionov joint carried it around the ice. Crazy. The documentary really showed just how...regimented...Soviet hockey (just like the actual government was) and it was just insane. Truly hard to believe. Lou literally was calling this guy every day after meeting him and silently signing the contract to "make sure he was still ok" then hang up immediately so the call couldn't be traced.

This "Russian factor" wasn't just about "deciding" to play in the NHL. It was about not getting killed or actually exiled to "the land of the white bear" like Fetisov was threatened by the Soviet Secretary of Defense.

Before the '81 Canada Cup Tikhonov (the Soviet head coach) literally kicked Valeri Kharlamov (one of the best players of the era in the world) off the bus to the airport for "unknown reasons". People speculate it was over conditioning issues....Kharlamov was planning to retire after the tourny...but Kharlamov's son hinted what actually happened was different. That night, on the way home, Kharlamov was killed in a car accident.

I watched this when it was released in theaters, super limited, but it sounds like you'd enjoy it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's still stunning to me just how long it took for the Soviet players to get into the HHoF. Only Fetsiov and Tretiak were fast-tracked.

Makarov is a top 30ish player ever and they made him wait until 2016! Kharlamov is a top 50ish player ever and had to wait until 2005. That's ~24 years after he passed. Firsov is easily top 75ish and still isn't in.

It's made me not care at all about the HHoF. Why bother if the Neelys and Nieuwendyks and Gartners and Carbonneaus get in while Euros like Jan Suchý and František Pospíšil will never merit serious consideration and Mark Howe has the WHA held against him for decades?

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

Steve Dangle on the Leafs loss to Carolina and their Zamboni Driver ;D

priceless ;D

Saw the game life. So sweet to see the leafs got beat like that!

This news has made me bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. I posted this vid to a friend's FB wall and his brother already posted a meme about the epic fail as well. What a glorious tale!

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
That doc is excellent and a must watch for any hockey fan. Crazy the way they treated those people and that we missed out on seeing some truly great players over here. When Detroit had the five Russian players on the ice together, it was magic. In my mind the purest, most beautiful hockey I've ever watched. It was like a great jazz band improvising together.

Reactions: Amorgus

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
With the addition of Kovalchuk the Caps need another Russian D man.

Imagine them icing a full Russian shift including goalie.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It's still stunning to me just how long it took for the Soviet players to get into the HHoF. Only Fetsiov and Tretiak were fast-tracked.

Makarov is a top 30ish player ever and they made him wait until 2016! Kharlamov is a top 50ish player ever and had to wait until 2005. That's ~24 years after he passed. Firsov is easily top 75ish and still isn't in.

It's made me not care at all about the HHoF. Why bother if the Neelys and Nieuwendyks and Gartners and Carbonneaus get in while Euros like Jan Suchý and František Pospíšil will never merit serious consideration and Mark Howe has the WHA held against him for decades?
Any hall of fame, really. The talent level is so watered down

Hell it took until 2018 for Willie O'Ree to get in

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I wish Shestyorkin a speedy and full recovery. I also anticipate that this news means it’ll be (At least in theory) a bit easier for the Flyers to beat NYR This week (x2)
Car accident- broken rib. Officially "day to day" but to be reevaluated in 2 weeks. So more like week to week. Apparently someone made an illegal U turn in NYC in front of them and they collided.

Buchnevich was the passenger with minor injuries, truly day to day. Both belted. Air bags went off (which SUCKS, by the way). Crazy.

Source: aired presser by the NYR GM

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Car accident- broken rib. Officially "day to day" but to be reevaluated in 2 weeks. So more like week to week. Apparently someone made an illegal U turn in NYC in front of them and they collided.

Buchnevich was the passenger with minor injuries, truly day to day. Both belted. Air bags went off (which SUCKS, by the way). Crazy.

Source: aired presser by the NYR GM

In New York? No effing way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->