Miscellaneous NHL Talk XLI -- It's bigger than "humongous"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
For the first time in his career Belly has reached 20 points. We were shitting on him, but he clearly proved us wrong. He is no torgo, vdv or stewie.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The way I remember it, the complaints were that PEB was overused, not necessarily that he was bad.

VDV was always bad.
That should mean more scoring opportunity, though Jeff probably told his 4th line not to even think about scoring.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
For the first time in his career Belly has reached 20 points. We were ****ting on him, but he clearly proved us wrong. He is no torgo, vdv or stewie.

No room for him on this roster. We already have our bottom-6 glue guy in Raffl, who is also younger and more versatile.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If the BJs, Isles, Flyers or Canes miss the playoffs while having more points than whichever of Florida or Toronto end up being the Atlantic #3 seed, hopefully that will get the idiots in charge of the NHL to get rid of this awful playoff system.

But...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Or as I spell it...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Supposedly this wildcrap crapfest is for the sake of rivalries in the playoffs. But a 1-8 playoff bracket with the division winners as the top two seeds produces some very nice matchups.

1 Bos v 8 Phi
2 Was v 7 Car
3 TB v 6 CBJ
4 Pit v 5 NYI

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Statistically he was pretty brutal even away from VV here too. I guess perhaps getting away from Hakstol was the bigger positive for his career.

His usage under Hakstol was completely baffling. Watching how he ran that 4th line made me start to realize that, perhaps, Hakstol was an incompetent f***ing moron.

PEB, who was a better board battler and shooter than anyone else on his line, was being played as a third defenseman...neutralizing his actual skills. While trusting two crap players to win against two defenders and a center, all of whom were typically better than them. Which ended with them getting pinned back in their own zone routinely.

I always pointed this out at the time and said he has way more to offer and we were making sure we weren't getting it. Usage is important!!!

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
His usage under Hakstol was completely baffling. Watching how he ran that 4th line made me start to realize that, perhaps, Hakstol was an incompetent ****ing moron.

PEB, who was a better board battler and shooter than anyone else on his line, was being played as a third defenseman...neutralizing his actual skills. While trusting two crap players to win against two defenders and a center, all of whom were typically better than them. Which ended with them getting pinned back in their own zone routinely.

I always pointed this out at the time and said he has way more to offer and we were making sure we weren't getting it. Usage is important!!!
I considered myself a PEB defender at the time as well. We had enough international tape on him to know he had a good shot and effective speed going forward, neither of which he was allowed to use in Philly. Inexplicable.

Tying him to non-NHLer VDV, usually as some kind of ____ Twins, may have been mentally convenient but was a disservice to Bellemare, who is a different kind of player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bellemare 5on5 P/60
14-15 thru 16-17: 0.67

17-18 thru 18-19: 1.05

19-20: 1.47

ryff321jtf811.jpg

Last edited:

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Id ask someone to post the corsi numbers for PEB with and without VDV but I don’t recall ever seeing PEB on the ice without VDV. He must have jumped through the roof when the expansion draft called his name.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Id ask someone to post the corsi numbers for PEB with and without VDV but I don’t recall ever seeing PEB on the ice without VDV. He must have jumped through the roof when the expansion draft called his name.

In his last year here (2016-2017), Bellemare played 797:45 at 5v5 and 460:00 was with Vandevelde.

CF% with VDV: 46.03%
CF% without VDV: 50.27%

xGF% with VDV: 46.94%
xGF% without VDV: 49.02%

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
VdV played because the alternatives were worse (where are they now . . . ).
At least VdV was a plus PK player.

People just don't want to admit how thin the talent pool was from 2013-2018.
Or why Berube got a lot smarter when he landed in St Louis with a deep roster and a hot goaltender.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
VdV played because the alternatives were worse (where are they now . . . ).
At least VdV was a plus PK player.

People just don't want to admit how thin the talent pool was from 2013-2018.
Or why Berube got a lot smarter when he landed in St Louis with a deep roster and a hot goaltender.

No, the other options were not worse than VDV. That's a fiction manufactured to defend Hextall and Hakstol's choices and "development" path.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
No, the other options were not worse than VDV. That's a fiction manufactured to defend Hextall and Hakstol's choices and "development" path.

For an organization with as much financial power, and not a shithole destination there was zero reason for VDV to play. Piss poor talent acquisition, evaluation and usage.

Unless they were tanking, which they weren’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->