Miscellaneous NHL Talk V7.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I will never understand how little ****s like him and Ghost shoot the puck like they do.
Has to do with the way muscles are attached to the bone providing higher leverage or some nonsense. I would imagine couts and jake are other end of the spectrum.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The problem with Houston was always that Les Alexander (former Rockets owner) owned the building and had no interest in the NHL. Now that one of the Fertittas bought it, there were rumors that he was at least interested enough to run the numbers.

That is not really accurate overall with regard to Alexander and NHL

Alexander put in bid during late 90's expansion process but had his efforts undercut when two rival bids from Houston undermined him. Then Alexander did have legit plans to bring Oilers to Houston but last second local push saved Oilers in Edmonton

After the Oiler bid failed and arena materialized as planned Alexander walked away from NHL bitter after those attempts and he seemed to give up on NHL after that

Frankly Houston was very highly regarded going into expansion bid process but the 3 separate bids/plans hurt them and it seemed none of the 3 parties were willing to work with other and create a single bid

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That is not really accurate overall with regard to Alexander and NHL

Alexander put in bid during late 90's expansion process but had his efforts undercut when two rival bids from Houston undermined him. Then Alexander did have legit plans to bring Oilers to Houston but last second local push saved Oilers in Edmonton

After the Oiler bid failed and arena materialized as planned Alexander walked away from NHL bitter after those attempts and he seemed to give up on NHL after that

Frankly Houston was very highly regarded going into expansion bid process but the 3 separate bids/plans hurt them and it seemed none of the 3 parties were willing to work with other and create a single bid

Yep. This is the long answer. I was being lazy. Thanks.

Reactions: kelmitchell

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Small sample size caveat must be in effect, but when I have some time, I want to dig into the Flyers' previous seasons under Hakstol because this is a direct representation of in-game deployment capabilities. It's not perfect because it doesn't account for, say, both coaches matching the Filppula and Crosby lines.

Toronto being so poor under Babcock has actually been a longterm pattern.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Technique over raw power; similar to how Rory McIlroy can bomb drives.

Yep, and wrists, smaller players can have strong wrists, slapshot is probably more good mechanics, you want a shorter stroke with higher acceleration both for a quicker release and more accuracy. A lot of big guys can generate velocity with a long swing but it's easier to block (though dangerous to your health) and harder to control.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin Same guy as the MLB kits.

I don't know why the Bills are wearing pajamas either, but I'm digging Washington, KC, Jax, and SF.

You know what you should do, which would help both of us, is hire me as a kind of style consultant. You can pay me to actually write "The Great Big Book of What Does and Does Not Suck," and once I have written it and you have read it, we can go over it chapter by chapter. We will spend extra time on "Deadwood," because you need to understand how to appreciate that more than you do, and then we can move on to uniforms and other clothes. I will leave aside your interests in music, which are broader than mine, and your tastes in food, which are unfixable because Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is sadly dead and she is the only one fancy enough to address them.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You know what you should do, which would help both of us, is hire me as a kind of style consultant. You can pay me to actually write "The Great Big Book of What Does and Does Not Suck," and once I have written it and you have read it, we can go over it chapter by chapter. We will spend extra time on "Deadwood," because you need to understand how to appreciate that more than you do, and then we can move on to uniforms and other clothes. I will leave aside your interests in music, which are broader than mine, and your tastes in food, which are unfixable because Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is sadly dead and she is the only one fancy enough to address them.

Hey, wait a minute. Deadwood was great.

It just wasn’t as great as the Holy Trinity of Mad Men, the Sopranos, and Justified.

kelly green is hot.

Like the color. The sytlized bands are weird though. HC, feel free to tell me what to call those if I was competent in jersey terminology.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad