Miscellaneous NHL talk, summer Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The guys on HB who think Sbisa would be a better dman to have than Gudas are hysterical. :biglaugh: Some of them make even Boxscore look like a good talent evaluator.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Quite a few Former Flyers are currently without guaranteed jobs for 18-19.

Mason
Sbisa
Seidenberg
Hartnell
Oduya
Upshall (PTO with Edmonton)
Tom Sestito
Tye McGinn

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Mase and Hartsy are still NHL level players despite some concerns. Hopefully Mase is still available once Neuvirth breaks apart in his first preseason game.
Ushall has crafted quite a career for himself. Only 8 other players from his draft class are still in the league.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Better stay away from that Evolving Hockey site, they have Hagg as above replacement, and Lehtera as a better ES player than Simmonds and Weal as our 6th best ES forward.

No, let’s not throw out good work because I may potentially disagree with a few of its results. But more importantly than that, let’s look at what it’s actually telling us.

I’m going to assume you sorted by GAR because that’s the only metric they use that I believe has Hagg as roughly average (and still lower than Sanheim in ~20 more Games). That’s an attempt to create a hockey version of Box Plus/Minus, which is a descriptive stat. While it uses xGF%, it also uses GF%. Hagg in particular had excellent puck luck as we all know last year and ended up positive in GF% at ES.

Mildly positive in Goal Metrics last year due to puck luck with a poor bet to be able to replicate it sounds about right to me. Or he could be a unicorn. I just wouldn’t bet on it.

Hell, the twins are super nice. If you really want to dig into the nuts and bolts of some of those guys in particular, I’ll ask them about it. If someone has a magic bullet that says all of our best predictive metrics are wrong, I would love to know.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is similar to BABIP in baseball, is puck luck 'luck' or representative of something else.

My guess is both, defensive defenseman will have more puck luck b/c they do things that reduce the probability of scoring relative to the average shot (i.e. harass shooters, body them away from rebounds, etc.).
Over a full season puck 'luck' should even out to some extent, over two to three season the luck factor should be eliminated by the law of large numbers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This is similar to BABIP in baseball, is puck luck 'luck' or representative of something else.

My guess is both, defensive defenseman will have more puck luck b/c they do things that reduce the probability of scoring relative to the average shot (i.e. harass shooters, body them away from rebounds, etc.).
Over a full season puck 'luck' should even out to some extent, over two to three season the luck factor should be eliminated by the law of large numbers.

This is basically the Kris Russell discussion. One of two things is true. Either he's historically good defensively or his On Ice SVP will come down to normal levels. His ES oISVP would have been the second highest of Vlasic's career.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

2fqk50V.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I feel the need to add the continuation of this article:

The good thing about the Flyers’ current situation is that it seems their future is bright.
Between wunderkind Carter Hart’s impending takeover of the goalie position, last year’s flashes of brilliance from also-youngster Nolan Patrick, and obvious young stars like Shayne Gostisbehere, Travis Konecny and Ivan Provorov, the Flyers will probably be quite above-average for the next five years, and then some.

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Average has a nice ring to it. Right in the middle of the bell curve; the meaty portion. Consistency is one of the hallmarks of a good coach. What this shows me is Hakstol is, at bare minimum, reliable and competent. Given the talent he has to work with is also mediocre, while he's not a great coach, he certainly isn't making them worse. 2 of those years are the Berube years as well, indicating he inherited a mediocre program. So, the fact that he is "keeping up" a mediocre program can be viewed as a positive.

I feel the need to add the continuation of this article:

"....the Flyers will probably be quite above-average for the next five years, and then some."

That's the goal really. The promised land of sports. Average is proficiency; you can hang your head high. But above-average is an accomplishment.

Like you tell your child when they come home with a 'B' on their math test: You did a good job, you did your best, not everyone can get A's. We still love you. And we're having tuna casserole for dinner.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Five years of mediocrity sounds bad, until you realize the team had a major rebuild, added 8 1st rd picks over those five years, including a number with elite or close to elite potential (Patrick, Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Frost, Farabee, O'Brien) plus a slew of other top talent in the draft (Hart, Lindblom, Myers, Ratcliffe, Allison, et al).

Ron managed to do all this WITHOUT TANKING. Made the playoffs twice in the four years he's been GM.
Turned a mediocre aging team into a mediocre rising team with the best talent pipeline in the league (over a 2-3 year period).

Now compare to say Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->