Miscellaneous NHL talk, summer Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Stats in general have to be taken with a grain of salt ,they are mathematical variations of trying to break down a game but can be skewed by several variable factors . If i see something i don't like i will use analytics to see if it backs me up but i never and i mean never just look at analytics and think that is telling me the story . A lot on here don't get to watch much of the Flyers live so all they have are the stats to try and analyse the game from . Several times when i go watch a game i will see players that have really bad or good games but the stat line on the game after does not tell the same story . Long story short analytics make for great conversation but using them as fact in arguments is just wrong . IMO of course

Or you see the stats, re-watch the game for that player(s) and see you missed things or got too focused on individual plays or details of questionable validity to affecting the overall game. Or not. That's why we don't get carried away with 1 game statistical samples for individual performance. Or even more than 1 game.

I still want to meet the person who doesn't watch games but just uses analytics. :dunno:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Stats in general have to be taken with a grain of salt ,they are mathematical variations of trying to break down a game but can be skewed by several variable factors . If i see something i don't like i will use analytics to see if it backs me up but i never and i mean never just look at analytics and think that is telling me the story . A lot on here don't get to watch much of the Flyers live so all they have are the stats to try and analyse the game from . Several times when i go watch a game i will see players that have really bad or good games but the stat line on the game after does not tell the same story . Long story short analytics make for great conversation but using them as fact in arguments is just wrong . IMO of course
Personally, I never use/cite advanced statistics. I don't discredit them, I'm just not interested in them, for whatever reason. The only stats I think are useless are things like +/-, giveaways/takeaways, hits, etc.

All my player judgments are solely based on the eye test and if the stats back that up (90% of the time they do), great, if not, oh well.

Reactions: wasup

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Or you see the stats, re-watch the game for that player(s) and see you missed things or got too focused on individual plays or details of questionable validity to affecting the overall game. Or not. That's why we don't get carried away with 1 game statistical samples for individual performance. Or even more than 1 game.

I still want to meet the person who doesn't watch games but just uses analytics. :dunno:
i swear there are some on this form that don't watch games. Also when you watch a player just for their mistakes they make you will find plenty just like if you are watching a player for positives you will see plenty of positives. The problem i have is people not really knowing the difference and just use the stat line or offensive numbers or analytics to say whether or not a player played well or not. Player X had two goals and an assist does not mean they had a great game shit can just find ya sometimes . Player Y had no points but chased a few players down on a hard back check and layed a few body checks forcing turnovers and blocked a few shots . Stat wise player x gets all the credit for playing well but player y was the real reason we won . I don't trust analytics and think they are a weak ass way to help the non hockey educated people think they are smart smart.
There, that should ruffel a few feathers . i.m old school, deal with it or not i don't care . This is not aimed at you Magua

Reactions: Striiker

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sick ****ing Acme ads..
That's so the forwards know where to make the low-to-high pass to the defensemen.

That's going to hurt some arguments.

“You shouldn't ever be allowed to talk about a guy's competition without making a quantitative comparison to his teammates,” said McCurdy. “I don't think you can say anything fairly unless you observe that rule of thumb.”
Additionally, players with difficult competition more frequently player with better teammates. More often than not, first lines face first lines, partly because coaches frequently lean towards playing power against power, but also because the best players are on the ice more often and will, by happenstance, play against each other more often.
“Generally, a player who faces higher Quality of Competition also plays with the best linemates on their team,” said Josh and Luke Younggren, the twins behind the analytics site Evolving Hockey.

Other than people seeing what they want to see, I never knew why this wasn't so obvious.

Also if baseball statisticians don't value QoC it's probably not that important. :D

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
That's so the forwards know where to make the low-to-high pass to the defensemen.

That's going to hurt some arguments.

Other than people seeing what they want to see, I never knew why this wasn't so obvious.

Also if baseball statisticians don't value QoC it's probably not that important. :D
there are always eceptions Like coots before this year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Quite a few Former Flyers are currently without guaranteed jobs for 18-19.

Mason
Sbisa
Seidenberg
Hartnell
Oduya
Upshall (PTO with Edmonton)
Tom Sestito
Tye McGinn

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

i know this may be upsetting to some. But I have heard that there has been talk about hartnell signing a PTO with the Pens. That would be a major gut punch.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
i know this may be upsetting to some. But I have heard that there has been talk about hartnell signing a PTO with the Pens. That would be a major gut punch.
Sign him to a pto just to prevent him from signing a pto with the pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad