Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I gave seven years of scoring, no, Giroux is not in the same league with the top 5x5 scorers, neither is JT.
Giroux is among the top at PP scoring, however.
But he's never been a shutdown defender like Kopitar or Couts, either.

To me, elite by definition can only include a small group of players, basically your obvious HOF candidates.
There's no shame in Giroux and JT being very good, #1 centers, without having to puff their accomplishments.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Lol.

Statement A: He is elite, he is 2nd in points this year.
Response: Elite players do that over long period of time.
Statement B: Well he is 2nd in points over the last 8 years.
Response: Well actually I meant elite players do something else over those last 8 years.

Hapiii

Jun 30, 2013
Lol.

Statement A: He is elite, he is 2nd in points this year.
Response: Elite players do that over long period of time.
Statement B: Well he is 2nd in points over the last 8 years.
Response: Well actually I meant elite players do something else over those last 8 years.

You guys still keep arguing with the guy who keep moving the goalposts at every single argument :laugh:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
thats just...

v8Dw3T5.png

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I gave seven years of scoring, no, Giroux is not in the same league with the top 5x5 scorers, neither is JT.
Giroux is among the top at PP scoring, however.
But he's never been a shutdown defender like Kopitar or Couts, either.

To me, elite by definition can only include a small group of players, basically your obvious HOF candidates.
There's no shame in Giroux and JT being very good, #1 centers, without having to puff their accomplishments.
There's also no need to downplay their accomplishments. G and JT are two of the best players in the league. Doesn't really matter if you want to call them "elite" or "great".

Giroux's already one of the best Flyers of all time.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
7th in ppg... over a long period of time...

3ReRrDp.png
That's why I cut out people who hadn't played so many games. Barzal isn't better, so that sample size is misleading.

And as far as 5v5 scoring, Giroux's proven to be an elite 5v5 scorer. The only time that dips is when the team around him struggles. As a playmaker, if your team sucks your points will suffer, regardless of your own quality of play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So how did our "elite" player match up against the Penguins?
Oh I know, it was the coaches fault. There's always an excuse for the players you like.

Giroux and JT are very good, but I'd take a healthy Couts over either of them, Kopitar, Crosby/Malkin, Marchand.

Giroux hasn't been a dominant player since he was 24-26.
He bounced back last year b/c he was healthy, but also b/c he was paired with Couts, who is developing into a dominant player.
As Couts has shown the last three years, almost everyone is a better player with him as their center.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Soo... perusing the rumour forums, twitter, etc, I see virtually nil on Flyer activity in either the trade market or the FA market.

We had Stand Pat Gillick. What's should we call Ron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->