Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Post-Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Chicken Parm coming back home.

Wonder if Pierre would take his WJC gig again?

We talked about him prior to his draft, because we are the best board.
Entwistle was the ultimate looks good to the eye but fails the stats test. At no point was he ever better than Matt Strome in the OHL. But Strome looks like shit on skates and can't even get a crack in the AHL and Entwistle is in the NHL.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
What is the connection there, exactly? I don't think Carter was available for a 3rd and a 4th with 50% retention at the deadline last year, and if he was, his acquisition would have been booed loudly on here and twitter because of the term and because he's old and "cooked".

... not to mention that I don't see last playoff's Flyers being Jeff Carter away from beating the Islanders.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What is the connection there, exactly? I don't think Carter was available for a 3rd and a 4th with 50% retention at the deadline last year, and if he was, his acquisition would have been booed loudly on here and twitter because of the term and because he's old and "cooked".

The connection is Fletcher acquired two terrible players to "bolster" the Flyers center depth down the middle last year when they looked like contenders heading into the playoffs. Both players made the Flyers worse.

Other more functional organizations seem to acquire better players that make the team better.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I don't know if it was last year, but Carter was asked to waive his NTC for Philly somewhat recently and he declined. This, according to one of the Canadian TV talking heads after his trade to Pittsburgh.

He would have helped last year if only because it meant the Flyers didn't acquire Thompson and/or Grant. Don't know if he would have been the difference, but the Flyers were an early Giroux near miss from taking control of Game 7 vs the Isles, anyway.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The connection is Fletcher acquired two terrible players to "bolster" the Flyers center depth down the middle last year when they looked like contenders heading into the playoffs. Both players made the Flyers worse.

Other more functional organizations seem to acquire better players that make the team better.

I hate most TDL acquisitions, b/c you're usually overpaying for a rental who has limited time to mesh with his new team.

That's why you want a deep AHL team, because by spring in a normal season, you have players ready to come up and play major roles, imagine if this was a normal year, Laczynski, Allison and Zamula would have 40-50 games under their belt and ready to come up if needed - like Pittsburgh did for both SC runs. To me, these kind of players are as good a bet as most TDL pickups.

Problem last year was Frost should have started the season in the AHL, along with the other young forwards, instead lack of depth and injuries meant a yo-yo season for them, which slows development.

At least Fletcher didn't overpay at the TDL for a player who failed to move the needle. That's what I was afraid of.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The intent is obviously stupid & not remotely needed. But if he actually put force on it, it’s a different story.

The little knee at the end when Nurse is down that is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know if it was last year, but Carter was asked to waive his NTC for Philly somewhat recently and he declined. This, according to one of the Canadian TV talking heads after his trade to Pittsburgh.

He got cheap depth players who didn't end up helping, but I don't think Carter was available or affordable at the last deadline when he had 2+ years left. Asking LA to retain 50% for an extra year pushes the price up in a seller's market. The better time to trade for Carter was prior to signing Hayes.

Reactions: Tripod

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
He got cheap depth players who didn't end up helping, but I don't think Carter was available or affordable at the last deadline when he had 2+ years left. Asking LA to retain 50% for an extra year pushes the price up in a seller's market. The better time to trade for Carter was prior to signing Hayes.
It could have been then, actually, when the Flyers reached out to LA. That would make sense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Carter has as many goals this game as Patrick has all year :(

Also, Patrick is averaging less than a shot a game.

LA fans have long talked about how oppressive their system is. Carter is proof of that. Pitt is more aggressive, and suddenly that efficient stride of his is scooting him up and down the ice far faster than was seen in LA.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
LA fans have long talked about how oppressive their system is. Carter is proof of that. Pitt is more aggressive, and suddenly that efficient stride of his is scooting him up and down the ice far faster than was seen in LA.

Or he's just having a change of address boost before he reverts back to being an aging center. SSS

Reactions: renberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LA have also just been a bad team for a while.

mock ED - Seattle take the wimp with no hands

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
LA have also just been a bad team for a while.

mock ED - Seattle take the wimp with no hands

If they take him, I'd be overjoyed, easily replaceable.
Then you package Ghost in a deal for a RHD. :sarcasm:

Actually, if they can add the RHD at a reasonable cost, I have no problem with Ghost on the 3rd pair/PP1 and York on PP2.
But they'd still need to move out Voracek and/or JVR to create some cap room.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

Actually a good matchup this year too. Florida’s a pretty good team this year.

Barkov has been a f***ing monster this season. I'm so glad the Canes locked up the division and we don't have to play them or Tampa in round 1.

Hilariously, they play each other for their last two games of the regular season, so they could potentially play nine games in a row. Those guys are gonna be trying to kill each other by game two of the playoffs, and I am so here for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad