Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: Post-Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
31 Thoughts: Why Taylor Hall may be more than a rental for Bruins (sportsnet.ca)

21. We will count the two late-night Sunday deals because they’re close enough, so, on deadline day, eight of the 29 players dealt had contracts for next season (Anders Bjork, Madison Bowey, Carter, Haydn Fleury, Matthew Highmore, Curtis Lazar, Mantha and Richard Panik). Some of those deals are about the expansion draft, but it’s actually a higher number than I thought it would be. Behind the scenes, there’s been plenty of groundwork done on the possibility of moving those with term in the offseason. Two teams that would be most active in terms of preparation would be Calgary and Philadelphia.

20. Jeff Carter was an interesting get for the Penguins, because he’d declined at least two previous opportunities over the past couple of seasons. Both Arizona and Philadelphia expressed interest, but he preferred to stay in Los Angeles. So there was some surprise he accepted this one; credit to the Penguins for appealing to him.

14. Philadelphia considered Alex Goligoski from Arizona, but the Flyers ultimately decided it didn’t make sense. Think the Jets looked at him, too.​

Last edited:

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Any chance we can pry Matty Chuk away from Calgary? Johnny seems like the target there, but I’m much more interested in Chucky or even Mony. My buddy is a big Calgary fan, and expects them to basically blow it up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Got bored and put together a compilation of useful stats resources if anyone is interested. If anyone knows of anything to add or update, let me know.

Best Advanced Stats Resources

Great job with this. I would definitely add HockeyViz.com

I'm not sure what's free, but it takes a very different approach to something like EvolvingHockey. There are no leaderboards. Instead it gives you tools and depth of information second to none. You can do everything from isolating on-ice combinations of up to 5 Skaters at once to seeing the individual xG% for each Skater or Goalie in particular locations.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Behind the scenes, there’s been plenty of groundwork done on the possibility of moving those with term in the offseason. Two teams that would be most active in terms of preparation would be Calgary and Philadelphia.

I assume that's Ghost, Jake, and JVR.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think you’re right. I think Giroux might get thrown around in rumors but similar to Hayes he controls his fate. I wonder if we see any reports that the flyers ask Hayes if he would waive to go to Seattle. I wouldn’t bet against anything right now with this team.
Dumping Gus at the deadline after he signed him is one thing, dumping Hayes 2 years after trading for his rights and signing him long term is another. Fletcher would never admit to a mistake that large. GMs are in the self preservation business and that would make him look awful to his bosses. I think Hayes and Laughton are the two safest guys on the roster.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I think you’re right. I think Giroux might get thrown around in rumors but similar to Hayes he controls his fate. I wonder if we see any reports that the flyers ask Hayes if he would waive to go to Seattle. I wouldn’t bet against anything right now with this team.

Dumping Gus at the deadline after he signed him is one thing, dumping Hayes 2 years after trading for his rights and signing him long term is another. Fletcher would never admit to a mistake that large. GMs are in the self preservation business and that would make him look awful to his bosses. I think Hayes and Laughton are the two safest guys on the roster.

Yeah there is no way there are any talks of that. Hayes specifically wanted the NMC to avoid leaving in expansion, completely fair on his part.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hayes also believed he was coming into a competitive team and a chance for playoffs/cup. Dynamics have changed greatly in the two years he has been here. Very unlikely but like I said I’m not ruling anything out.
It’s pretty apparent that the team hates the coach and the coach is coming back so who knows who’s itching to get out of here.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
So who's everyone rooting for in the playoffs? I want to see Colorado Boston final - if that's possible.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

"That was the moment Captain Dave Poulin realized the utmost extent of his potential erections."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->