Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXI: The highway on which the bleachers are out in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I enjoy watching Caufield, Suzuki, Perry, and Price more than anyone on Vegas

Caufield is fun as hell. The kid genuinely just looks so happy. KK is a fun ride too.

Vegas is overall the more talented club, and plays a more entraining style. That generally tends to win me over. Laviolette, or aggressive hockey if you will.

It is going to be a little funny though potentially seeing them lose to a club that is only in the dance with them because of their goaltender. The Habs are working damn hard though, especially with how clearly banged up Weber and Petry are. I can respect that.

It just comes back to the Flyers for me for some chuckles. To have teams like NYI and Montreal doing well means I can continue to think of the Flyers as a joke not to be taken seriously. Which really, has been a lot more enjoyable for me.

Montreal without a rebuild has found KK, Caufield and Suzuki. Flyers have what up front out of that magical rebuild that’s even close to actual comparable skill. Farabee?

Weber even at his age is miles above any Flyer defender. Bergevin, for being an idiot at times and not someone I’d want leading my club - has more evaluation IQ than Fletcher could dream of.

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
No doubt. If he was on the Flyers, I would probably love him.

I like that he's seemingly accepted his role as a 4th liner and he's actually producing in that role.

Its funny. Logically speaking. Is it a wise move to invest in Perry at this age when a club like the Flyers could use his spot for say someone like Kase or Bunny? I’d say no but there are some arguments that imo are worthwhile to adding him. We’ll probably not, but hey.

It’s cute at the same time, that when a team could
Choose to give a player like Perry a shot, who for all his BS is a champion.

They give a shot to Chris Stewart.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You can't seriously want to watch a Habs/Isles Final, can you?

Both of these teams play gross hockey.
I like to watch the Isles more than I like to watch the Habs. And I don’t want Montreal fans to win the Cup. That said, I am not a big fan of watching a desert expansion team in the finals (again) either. At least the Habs are a storied franchise.

I do appreciate that both teams play physical styles & have proven those wrong who smugly mock heavy, North/South hockey as an outdated, unenlightened, losing style. Turns out a focus on freeflowing offensive hockey isn’t the magic formula many claimed.

Even Tampa, talented as they are, are a fantastic defensive team with a mix of physicality. They don’t play a freewheeling offense-first style (besides a lethal power play), particularly in the playoffs, despite what seems to be their reputation.

I don’t think the Islanders will beat Tampa, & I don’t think the winner of the West will, either. But, just like with Vegas, I view Tampa as a warm weather expansion team, & I just can’t get into such teams in the NHL playoffs.

So I wouldn’t be any less interested in NYI-MTL than I would Las Vegas-Tampa. The latter sounds like a roller hockey match, not the Stanley Cup Final.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Its funny. Logically speaking. Is it a wise move to invest in Perry at this age when a club like the Flyers could use his spot for say someone like Kase or Bunny? I’d say no but there are some arguments that imo are worthwhile to adding him. We’ll probably not, but hey.

Can’t be serious about Bunnaman here. Gotta make room for Bunnaman? That guy doesn’t do anything. I don’t like Perry either, never did, but I definitely respect the fact that he could’ve taken his millions and went home instead of getting gashed on the face and hustle to keep his career going on minimum salary. To me that’s exactly the type of player the Flyers need on the ice and in the room - a guy who is very accomplished and yet is amenable to being taken down multiple pegs. He’d straighten out whatever beef is in there in about 10 minutes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Perry wouldnt sign here. He wants another Cup. Not to play for some dysfunctional mess.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Can’t be serious about Bunnaman here. Gotta make room for Bunnaman? That guy doesn’t do anything. I don’t like Perry either, never did, but I definitely respect the fact that he could’ve taken his millions and went home instead of getting gashed on the face and hustle to keep his career going on minimum salary. To me that’s exactly the type of player the Flyers need on the ice and in the room - a guy who is very accomplished and yet is amenable to being taken down multiple pegs. He’d straighten out whatever beef is in there in about 10 minutes.

Sigh.

It’s not so much about Bunn, or Kase - it’s the thought process.

Would I be trying to uncover and develop as much young talent as I could? Instead of locking down roster spots with guys that are closer to being out of the league than contributing.

Do I value a skill set that someone like Perry could bring? Sure. We have been infatuating ourselves with castrated good boys for too long.

At the same time, I don’t buy into any notion of contention by a seemingly above average marketing team. Development should be the focus, because for all those potential benefits Perry could bring - we are starved of talent first and foremost.

I hate being forced to be serious.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Caufield is fun as hell. The kid genuinely just looks so happy. KK is a fun ride too.

Vegas is overall the more talented club, and plays a more entraining style. That generally tends to win me over. Laviolette, or aggressive hockey if you will.

It is going to be a little funny though potentially seeing them lose to a club that is only in the dance with them because of their goaltender. The Habs are working damn hard though, especially with how clearly banged up Weber and Petry are. I can respect that.

It just comes back to the Flyers for me for some chuckles. To have teams like NYI and Montreal doing well means I can continue to think of the Flyers as a joke not to be taken seriously. Which really, has been a lot more enjoyable for me.

Montreal without a rebuild has found KK, Caufield and Suzuki. Flyers have what up front out of that magical rebuild that’s even close to actual comparable skill. Farabee?

Weber even at his age is miles above any Flyer defender. Bergevin, for being an idiot at times and not someone I’d want leading my club - has more evaluation IQ than Fletcher could dream of.

This is a silly short sample take.
Montreal had 86 points (pro-rated) and squeaked into the playoffs in the weakest division. That's not very impressive.
Flyers were on a 85 point pace.
Flyers beat that team last year in the first round, now they're the example to emulate?
They're averaging 2.5 goals per game in the playoffs.

Kotkaniemi was #3 pick
Suzuki was obtained in the Pacioretty (9 points in 10 PO games this year) trade.
Toffoli was a good FA pickup, 4yr/$17M for a goal scoring 2RW with defensive limitations
Caufield is the flavor of the month, he has 1-4 5 ES points in 12 PO games, OK but not special. He is a scorer, but he'll always be limited by his size.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You think Perry wants to come here to be the 13th forward and spend the season in the press box?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sigh.

It’s not so much about Bunn, or Kase - it’s the thought process.

Would I be trying to uncover and develop as much young talent as I could? Instead of locking down roster spots with guys that are closer to being out of the league than contributing.

Do I value a skill set that someone like Perry could bring? Sure. We have been infatuating ourselves with castrated good boys for too long.

At the same time, I don’t buy into any notion of contention by a seemingly above average marketing team. Development should be the focus, because for all those potential benefits Perry could bring - we are starved of talent first and foremost.

I hate being forced to be serious.
Bunnaman is being closer to being out of the league than Perry is. They don’t have the latitude to sell people on more development. They’ve gotta get people in the building.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The playoff Perry is a guy I would take 10 times out of 10. Has accepted his role and has embraced it. These are the type of players the Flyers should target for the bottom 6 if they don’t have internal answers to fill the role

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You’re entitled to your opinion dead. That’s cool by me.

The days of my debating and taking this team seriously enough to do so are long dead.

Have at ‘er

IKIFEEL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad