Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Playoffs for some, golf for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/eugene-melnyk-lawsuits-yacht-cruise-bahamas-1.6024743

It's alleged that "the seas were so rough that an improperly secured deck chair on the upper deck of the vessel crashed into the glass partition above the dining area, raining down shards of broken glass that narrowly missed the guests but caused severe emotional distress over the likelihood of being injured."

Fertig, the lawyer for the yacht company, said strong winds are typical in the Bahamas at that time of year, and during the Melnyk charter the sea swells were hitting two metres but the boat was never in any danger.

"I understand that Mr. Melnyk was upset that the charter didn't go the way he envisioned, but every day there was 35-mile-an-hour winds."

When the boat finally got to calmer waters at Cat Island, the captain suggested it would be an ideal spot for some beach time, the lawsuits say. Except that "the passengers observed signs warning individuals not to swim in the water due to sharks."

:laugh:

tenor.gif

Pierre Dorion is learning how to captain a yacht as I speak.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is precisely why he shouldnt be hired, actually.
For all the complaining people do about how the Flyers are a corporate doormat with a lack of identity since Ed Snider died, they don’t actually have anyone in the organization who can address that. While Hextall sort of had the right idea in supressing the old FLYERS HOCKEY mentality, he took it so far the other direction that an entire generation of younger people - and players - don’t place any value on the identity of the team, which ironically was to be the ethos of his rebuilding program and refusal to bring in quality players from outside the organization.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For all the complaining people do about how the Flyers are a corporate doormat with a lack of identity since Ed Snider died, they don’t actually have anyone in the organization who can address that. While Hextall sort of had the right idea in supressing the old FLYERS HOCKEY mentality, he took it so far the other direction that an entire generation of younger people - and players - don’t place any value on the identity of the team, which ironically was to be the ethos of his rebuilding program and refusal to bring in quality players from outside the organization.

Im all for creating an identity, but there are plenty of coaches who create identites for teams without having played for them in a previous life. Cassidy never played for the Bruins, and yet, no one would claim the Bruins dont have an identity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Im all for creating an identity, but there are plenty of coaches who create identites for teams without having played for them in a previous life. Cassidy never played for the Bruins, and yet, no one would claim the Bruins dont have an identity.
The Bruins are also filled with like a thousand ex-Bruins in their front office and Cassidy also coached in Providence for 8 years.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Bruins are also filled with like a thousand ex-Bruins in their front office and Cassidy also coached in Providence for 8 years.

So what you're saying is they brought in an external, and let them adapt the Bruins culture to his game plan instead of forcing a former player into the role and making the players fit a mold?

What a wild idea.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So what you're saying is they brought in an external, and let them adapt the Bruins culture to his game plan instead of forcing a former player into the role and making the players fit a mold?

What a wild idea.
Yeah, just another year and a half until Scott Gordon is in line for the permanent head job, which is I guess pretty good since he is like the second longest tenured non-scout in the organization.

Do you doubt Tocchet as a coach? He won 2 Cups with the Penguins as an assistant and is probably less of a dick than Therrien is.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, just another year and a half until Scott Gordon is in line for the permanent head job, which is I guess pretty good since he is like the second longest tenured non-scout in the organization.

Do you doubt Tocchet as a coach? He won 2 Cups with the Penguins as an assistant and is probably less of a dick than Therrien is.

Yeah, I mean, comparing a guy who can't coach for the life of him, which is why we have no real meaningful depth on the big team from AHL club to a guy who has successfully integrated several players from the AHL team into his Stanley cup contending team is definitely something you could do.

It'd be I'll advised, but you can do it.

And why are we measuring Tocchets ability as a coach by the cups Sydney Crosby and Co? Is Dan Bylsma a good coach?

Tocchet has also proven he doesn't work well with most young players -- look at the plethora of young players Arizona has had that have underperformed. His teams don't play particularly well. He's not great at managing games. The fact that he's a Flyer is only part of the problem, if we're being honest. But it's a big one, because this organization needs to get our of its own way for once once break a cycle that has failed miserably.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I mean, comparing a guy who can't coach for the life of him, which is why we have no real meaningful depth on the big team from AHL club to a guy who has successfully integrated several players from the AHL team into his Stanley cup contending team is definitely something you could do.

It'd be I'll advised, but you can do it.

And why are we measuring Tocchets ability as a coach by the cups Sydney Crosby and Co? Is Dan Bylsma a good coach?

Tocchet has also proven he doesn't work well with most young players -- look at the plethora of young players Arizona has had that have underperformed. His teams don't play particularly well. He's not great at managing games. The fact that he's a Flyer is only part of the problem, if we're being honest. But it's a big one, because this organization needs to get our of its own way for once once break a cycle that has failed miserably.
Arizona overperformed if anything when you consider they’re always a complete mess. Everyone knows what that job is and I’m sure he did too. Being an assistant is not the same as the head job. Todd Reirden, John Stevens are both poor head coaches but excellent assistants. Tocchet signed on in Pittsburgh when they looked like they were headed down and reversed course from poor predecessors.

Who is their top young talent? Chychrun has been great, Conor Garland and Michael Bunting - neither of these guys were on the map. But other than OEL who they signed and now don’t want to pay and Kessel who is 33, they’ve lacked top talent.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Arizona overperformed if anything when you consider they’re always a complete mess. Everyone knows what that job is and I’m sure he did too. Being an assistant is not the same as the head job. Todd Reirden, John Stevens are both poor head coaches but excellent assistants. Tocchet signed on in Pittsburgh when they looked like they were headed down and reversed course from poor predecessors.

Who is their top young talent? Chychrun has been great, Conor Garland and Michael Bunting - neither of these guys were on the map. But other than OEL who they signed and now don’t want to pay and Kessel who is 33, they’ve lacked top talent.

Clayton Keller too but he wasnt taking off before Tocchet either. They draft so poorly.

Missing on Strome and seemingly Hayton were major setbacks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Clayton Keller too but he wasnt taking off before Tocchet either. They draft so poorly.

Missing on Strome and seemingly Hayton were major setbacks.
And they’re still calling up guys like Michael Chaput who hasn’t scored an nhl goal in 4 years

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Drafting poorly is interesting, you have Arizona missing on high picks, then you have Colorado who drafted one player in a decade after the 1st rd who made the NHL, and he was a college player they didn't sign (Butcher). But if you have enough high picks, you can trade them for value (Duchene).

Drafting well at the top of the 1st rd is how you engineer a rebuild, drafting well throughout the draft is how you sustain success.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is the first hockey I'm watching in months and it's solely for McDavid
Probably the wrong McDavid game to watch. :laugh:

Should have tuned in as he got closer to 100. He was pushing hard to get there with plenty of time to spare; some of his best games of the season.

Not a lot is going to happen today.

As I type, future Flyer Adam Larsson bags one off of a McDavid feed.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Probably the wrong McDavid game to watch. :laugh:

Should have tuned in as he got closer to 100. He was pushing hard to get there with plenty of time to spare; some of his best games of the season.

Not a lot is going to happen today.

As I type, future Flyer Adam Larsson bags one off of a McDavid feed.
Listen bud, it's something that I'm even watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->