Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Playoffs for some, golf for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I think the only Austrian player who even made it to the final was Nodl.

I wanted to say Krajicek, but then my stupid ass remember he's Czech.

Interesting, tho, that Latvia, a relatively ''meh'' country has had Ozoliņš, Irbe, Daugaviņš, Bārtulis and Gudļevskis in SCF. Sure, two of those seem like forever ago, but still.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It was actually a stroke of genius by Jimbo. The conditional 4th round pick in the trade was if Toffoli re-signed. That's what we call the longest view in the room.

Tyler Madden + 2 for a player to help a bubble team. Why was the trade even made? You question the short term decision making if it was to compete. Did they want a trial run and first dibs at his next contract? Well, he had 8 goals and 14 points in 17 games. He signed a really solid 4 year, $4.25 mil contract with Montreal -- forget his career year right now, which makes it worse. They didn't even offer a contract? At a certain point, you just gotta throw up your hands and trust the appeal to authority of someone running a $700 million organization because he played for the Canucks in the 80s.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I wanted to say Krajicek, but then my stupid ass remember he's Czech.

Interesting, tho, that Latvia, a relatively ''meh'' country has had Ozoliņš, Irbe, Daugaviņš, Bārtulis and Gudļevskis in SCF. Sure, two of those seem like forever ago, but still.
Ozolinsh also was a real difference maker. Probably the best defenseman in those playoffs when he won the Cup. Fun player to watch in his prime.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It was actually a stroke of genius by Jimbo. The conditional 4th round pick in the trade was if Toffoli re-signed. That's what we call the longest view in the room.

Tyler Madden + 2 for a player to help a bubble team. Why was the trade even made? You question the short term decision making if it was to compete. Did they want a trial run and first dibs at his next contract? Well, he had 8 goals and 14 points in 17 games. He signed a really solid 4 year, $4.25 mil contract with Montreal -- forget his career year right now, which makes it worse. They didn't even offer a contract? At a certain point, you just gotta throw up your hands and trust the appeal to authority of someone running a $700 million organization because he played for the Canucks in the 80s.

Jimbo would rather spend that money the on Myers’, Pearson’s, Beagle’s, etc. of the world.

The Canucks legitimately have a really nice young(ish) core there & this bozo basically goes out every year signing middling to outright terrible depth players to bloated contracts.

They were up against the cap just this year & that’s with two of their best players being on ELC’s. :laugh:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
saw on the main boards....since Mar 1, the NYR have 5 of the top 20 scorers in the league. Let's hope that doesn't carry over to next year.

I imagine them playing 6 games against NJD, 5 games against Buffalo and 6 games against us (76 goals in 17 games) helped slant those stats. For comparison, in the other 20 games (Pitt/NYI/Boston/Was), they scored 47 in 20.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Who cares. If your team is good enough to not need one of the best players in the league till the playoff starts, then you really put a strong squad together.

I hope Stamkos lasts longer than a period this time.

Its impressive that they made the playoffs easily without two of their best players but it doesnt change the fact that they are now facing Florida with a roster that has a $98 million cap hit. Nearly $20 million more than Florida and more than $17 million over the cap.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
That’s on the league. Maybe implement a mandatory rule that a player needs to appear for a certain number of regular season games for playoffs eligibility?
The league should take away multiple draft picks like they did to the Devil's. It's a clear case of cap circumvention and not in the spirit of the cba just like the Devils 20 year kovy contract. But I'm long past expecting this league to be consistent with their punishments. Just root hard for Florida in round 1 and hope it blows up in TBs face.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
The league should take away multiple draft picks like they did to the Devil's. It's a clear case of cap circumvention and not in the spirit of the cba just like the Devils 20 year kovy contract. But I'm long past expecting this league to be consistent with their punishments. Just root hard for Florida in round 1 and hope it blows up in TBs face.

Tampa punts in the first round anyway, so I’m not sure that’d make much difference

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Just need to bring these bad boys back.

bruins_pooh.png
Nah. Meth Bear or bust.

jc5d32nhkzi21.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Does not compute. They’re 3 years ahead of schedule, right?

Took them a decade to get there. And a bunch of high draft picks. And the Duchene trade.
2011: Landeskog #2
2013: MacKinnon #1
2015: Rantanen #10
2016: Jost #10
2017: Makar #4
Funny thing, they were awful drafters after the 1st rd, only hit, Butcher (2013 #123) didn't even sign with them, they also drafted Bigras (#32) that year.
You have to go back to 2009 for a really good draft, Duchene #3, ROR #33, Barrie #64.

Stole Burakovsky from the Caps for a 2nd and 3rd rd pick in 2020, Caps gave up on him after 4 seasons and sold low (#23)
Kadri - traded Barrie and Kerfoot
Girard - Duchene trade
Donskoi - FA 2019
Toews - traded 2 2nd rd picks for his RFA rights and extended him
Saad - traded Zadorov (obtained in ROR trade)
Compher - ROR trade
Nichushkin - FA 2020
Graves - traded Bigras
Grubauer - traded 2nd rd pick and took Orpik as a salary dump
Johansson - traded 6th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad