Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LIX: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and oh the #13 Lottery Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Here's a stat for you, @JojoTheWhale, that maybe supports your argument that the Avs should have slowed things down vs the Blues.

Since 2001, there have been six series that pitted a team that swept its previous opponent vs a team that went 7 games vs its previous opponent. All six times, the team that went 7 in the previous round won. There's another going on right now: Avs vs Knights.

2021 - Habs vs Jets
2019 - Bruins vs Blue Jackets
2019 - Hurricanes vs Isles
2009 - Hurricanes vs Bruins
2003 - Devils vs Ducks
2001 - Avs vs Blues

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Gonna be a loooooong summer for Scheif

I presume that extra game will cost him a lot more money too. I believe playoff pay is escrow split among players so if he's forfeiting that it's gonna be a hell of a lot less than his regular check.

I'm not sure it works that way though. Never thought about it before.

Edit: I imagine players just get their share regardless of suspension, so either way it's gonna cost a ton more

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1623124106009.jpg

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It's not like the Islanders ever won a Stanley Cup based on the decisions of the NHL and on-ice officials. Oh, wait!

Islanders 5, Bruins 4: Cassidy frustrated with officiating as late comeback falls short – Boston Herald

But Cassidy absolutely unloaded his frustration on referees Francis Charron and Francois St. Laurent, while taking aim at the Islanders’ hierarchy of GM Lou Lamoriello and coach Barry Trotz as well.

“This is my take on it. We’re playing a team that has a very respected management and coaching staff who won a Stanley Cup. But I think they sell a narrative over there that it’s more like the New York Saints and not the New York Islanders, that they play hard, they play the right way. But I feel we play the same way and the exact calls that are getting called on us do not get called on them,” said a slow-burning Cassidy.

“And I don’t know why. These are very good officials. They’re at this point in the season for a reason. They miss high sticks every game, the exact same high sticks. … Maybe we need to sell them more and flop, but that’s not us. But they don’t see them. And it’s not like the same calls aren’t going against us. It’s not like I’m sitting there and going ‘every call against us sucks.’ It’s just at the end of the day, the similar plays, they can be penalized on those plays. But like I said, they’ve done a great job selling that narrative that they’re clean. They play hard, it’s a hard brand of hockey. I love the way they play, but they commit as many infractions as we do, trust me. It’s just a matter of calling them.”​

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Trotz does seem to be the beneficiary of lenient officiating -- maybe that's an advantage of having been an NHL coach for so long, and I suppose he's developed a good rapport with many officials. The interference the Isles got away with in the bubble playoffs against the Flyers was extremely aggravating.

I don't blame Cassidy for venting his frustration and trying to get in the refs heads before an elimination game. That said, there were weak calls and missed calls on both teams last night. And the crosscheck to Barzal's head was as blatant a penalty as they come; frankly borders on suspension-worthy in this day and age.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Here's a stat for you, @JojoTheWhale, that maybe supports your argument that the Avs should have slowed things down vs the Blues.

Since 2001, there have been six series that pitted a team that swept its previous opponent vs a team that went 7 games vs its previous opponent. All six times, the team that went 7 in the previous round won. There's another going on right now: Avs vs Knights.

2021 - Habs vs Jets
2019 - Bruins vs Blue Jackets
2019 - Hurricanes vs Isles
2009 - Hurricanes vs Bruins
2003 - Devils vs Ducks
2001 - Avs vs Blues

I would bet anything that this checks out historically, too. It feels like it's always this way.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trotz does seem to be the beneficiary of lenient officiating -- maybe that's an advantage of having been an NHL coach for so long, and I suppose he's developed a good rapport with many officials. The interference the Isles got away with in the bubble playoffs against the Flyers was extremely aggravating.

I don't blame Cassidy for venting his frustration and trying to get in the refs heads before an elimination game. That said, there were weak calls and missed calls on both teams last night. And the crosscheck to Barzal's head was as blatant a penalty as they come; frankly borders on suspension-worthy in this day and age.

Trotz isn't a whiner on ice (At least not that I remember when he was with Preds)

Occasionally he will get mad or have post game comments but he isn't one of those coaches that annoys officials with the constant bitching and moaning

Cassidy on other hand comes off as a whiner so I can see refs being even less likely to care what he is complaining about

To me officiating overall in series has been fine from what I have seen. B's and Isles have done stupid things right in front of refs and refs will make calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad