Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LIX: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and oh the #13 Lottery Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You mean he played with tenacity pre-draft? I never saw much of that post-draft with Chicoutimi or Acadie or Lehigh. Just kind of there, making safe plays, living for the next shift mostly with the rare flash or skill.
The warts started to show in his D+2. One of his best qualities was his off the puck forechecking and board battles. He was relentless. On the puck he was a puck possession guy. The skating and skill combo was just kind of average so I think the 60-70 point projections thrown out by some post-draft threw expectations out of whack. He looked quite good playing on Nicolas Roy's wing with Chicoutimi. He was aggressive offensively. Less so when he was playing center with Acadie-Bathurst and their lack of star talent up front (yes they won a Mem Cup but that was not a very talented team).

What happened to his development? :dunno:

The Russian development system can be a game of roulette at times with politics and what not playing a factor. The style of play is also quite boring with a big emphasis on defense and two-way play (Russia has the lowest scoring leagues in the world). He also played for six teams in four seasons. The chronic injuries didn't help either. You could point to a number of things.

Last edited:

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers traded down 5 spots in a weak back half 1st, got the player they wanted (and many of us wanted) and got the 36th pick in a fantastic 2nd round. Absurdly good trade. The Jets defense is a train wreck, so yes, I think we survived the loss of Logan Stanley at left defense. Meanwhile, Samuel Girard went 30 picks later......and we are talking about 37 games in year 5 Logan Stanley? And the future Norris winner went 66th overall.

The pick and process for that trade was not regrettable.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers traded down 5 spots in a weak back half 1st, got the player they wanted (and many of us wanted) and got the 36th pick in a fantastic 2nd round. Absurdly good trade. The Jets defense is a train wreck, so yes, I think we survived the loss of Logan Stanley at left defense. Meanwhile, Samuel Girard went 30 picks later......and we are talking about 37 games in year 5 Logan Stanley? The future Norris winner went 66th overall.

For the record i'm not advocating for Stanley. Just trashing Rubtsov :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Logan Stanley has 2 goals and the Jets not only cannot win this in regulation, but had nobody else score and only got 18 shots on goal

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
OT goal started with another turnover by Hellebuyck. That was an awesome play by Caufield to set that up.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Scheifele, too. :sarcasm:

DeMelo being hurt in game 1 is a problem. That’s a top pairing guy (deserved or not) - and removing the 1C was a nail in the coffin.

Jets are in a weird spot. Helle is in his prime, and some good pieces but that defense is ass ugly and not a lot of depth up front.

For all the hate Laine got, his skill might have been appreciated. Dubois played like ass. If he isn’t hurt, not sure what to say.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
DeMelo being hurt in game 1 is a problem. That’s a top pairing guy (deserved or not) - and removing the 1C was a nail in the coffin.

Jets are in a weird spot. Helle is in his prime, and some good pieces but that defense is ass ugly and not a lot of depth up front.

For all the hate Laine got, his skill might have been appreciated. Dubois played like ass. If he isn’t hurt, not sure what to say.

Prob should move a forward or two for D help. Hagg for Ehlers. Done.

Reactions: BernieParent

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Prob should move a forward or two for D help. Hagg for Ehlers. Done.

Hah. Ehlers I’m not sure is available anymore - but with Stastny nearly aged out… They are one of the clubs that really should be in on Eichel.

Maurice made seemingly no adjustments, and I’m not sure how they can continuously roll back with him. Dumping it in time after time against a Montreal defense core that is loaded with size… Especially with Julien and Gallant still available.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Pretty pathetic by Winnipeg. I know they lost Scheifele and Demelo, but they didn't have a lead at any point the entire series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->