Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LII: Covid Cup Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I didn't think anyone would challenge Makar but Hughes was so good this year he would have gotten my internet vote. He was legitimately carrying Vancouver to the playoffs.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Draisaitl wins Ted Lindsey and the Hart?

He did score a lot but 19.72 shooting % and 71 of his points coming with McDavid (leagues 2nd highest scorer) sure does kinda steal a little of the wow-factor away.

Reactions: Adtar02

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Draisaitl wins the Art Ross, the Lindsay, and (seemingly) the Hart trophy. What a year for him.

MacKinnon would've been my pick for the Hart, but Draisaitl deserves it too.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Draisaitl wins the Art Ross, the Lindsay, and (seemingly) the Hart trophy. What a year for him.

MacKinnon would've been my pick for the Hart, but Draisaitl deserves it too.

What is interesting about Drai and McDavid is how they play together on the ice. Drai basically is the center out there when they are together. If Edmonton is ever going to be legit cup contenders these two have to be effective without each other.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
HockeyGuys: Defense and 2-way ability is the mostest important! We hate 1-way players!

HockeyGuys: Let’s vote one of the worst defensive players for Hart because look at dem points! :propeller

I don’t actually care. I just love the eternal mixed messaging. Just don’t give Carlson the Norris.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What is interesting about Drai and McDavid is how they play together on the ice. Drai basically is the center out there when they are together. If Edmonton is ever going to be legit cup contenders these two have to be effective without each other.
Yeah, that seems to be the biggest difference between McDavid/Draisaitl and Crosby/Malkin. Crosby and Malkin elevate their linemates. Crosby even plays better without Malkin.

Reactions: Jtown

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'd give Hart to Panarin. Not sure if he's ever gonna have a year like this. He was nuts on an awful team. I doubt Mackinnon has that big of impact if he plays for rags. Not saying Panarin is a better player, but he had a monster season that could very well be an outlier for rest of his career.

Also another tidbit is Mack the good ole canadian boy was less favoured by media than German and Drai dominating despite his extension being crowned as huge overpay and killing RFA market for the future.

Anyway back to Leafs Petro talk:sarcasm:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'd give Hart to Panarin. Not sure if he's ever gonna have a year like this. He was nuts on an awful team. I doubt Mackinnon has that big of impact if he plays for rags. Not saying Panarin is a better player, but he had a monster season that could very well be an outlier for rest of his career.

Also another tidbit is Mack the good ole canadian boy was less favoured by media than German and Drai dominating despite his extension being crowned as huge overpay and killing RFA market for the future.

Anyway back to Leafs Petro talk:sarcasm:
Hasn't Panarin played on a line with Zibanejad, one of the most underrated centers in the entire league? He didn't carry that team all by himself.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Panarin played only 233:01 of his 1078:55 at 5v5 with Zibanejad.

His most common center was Strome, by far, with 700:48 at 5v5. And to say he carried Strome would be an understatement.

I posted this back on February 23rd:
Panarin is going nuts for the Rags...

1st in the league in 5v5 points (54)
4th in the league total points (83)

A 23 point gap between him and 2nd place on his team in scoring.
To compare, that's like the gap between our top scorer (Couturier with 55) and our 7th place scorer (Provorov with 31).

His most common linemate is Strome and...

Strome with Panarin (783:39)
57.57 CF%
60.91 xGF%

Strome without Panarin (437:34)
33.06 CF%
33.57 xGF%

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
BNL are in the same tier as Green Day and Red Hot Chilli Peppers,,,,,

PURE SHIT !!
Back when I was university, our local pub on campus simply put up some signs saying "Bare Naked Ladies Friday Night at 10pm at the Goresbrook Pub"

At that point BML had yet to have any song out so people LEGIT thought the pub was going to have strippers there that night! We could see the pub from our on campus apartment and there were HUGE lines to get in. Imagine the disappointment of walking in and hearing "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" instead of seeing "dancers".

:laugh:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah, that seems to be the biggest difference between McDavid/Draisaitl and Crosby/Malkin. Crosby and Malkin elevate their linemates. Crosby even plays better without Malkin.
You can't seriously think McDavid/Draisatl don't elevate their linemates. The fact that they play together isnt a factor since their team is so effing appalling it would rival 13-15 buffaslugs. Ever since Pronger asked for a trade that franchise has been the mother of all things ineptitude.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Panarin played only 233:01 of his 1078:55 at 5v5 with Zibanejad.

His most common center was Strome, by far, with 700:48 at 5v5. And to say he carried Strome would be an understatement.

I posted this back on February 23rd:
Playing for what would have been a non playoff team hurt Panarin. To win the Hart, he would have needed to been head and shoulders above the pack. Plus he’s a winger, and they seem to favor centers for MVP

My vote would have gone to MacKinnon for the Hart and to Panarin for the Pearson

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Draisaitl winning the Hart means skater defense doesn’t matter.

Points FTW!

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
McDavid and Draisaitl actually have better possession statistics away from each other than with each other.

StatMcDavid+DraisaitlMcDavid aloneDraisaitl alone
5v5 TOI553:21--
CF%46.8949.1548.90
xGF%47.1149.7751.93
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
HockeyGuys: Defense and 2-way ability is the mostest important! We hate 1-way players!

HockeyGuys: Let’s vote one of the worst defensive players for Hart because look at dem points! :propeller

I don’t actually care. I just love the eternal mixed messaging. Just don’t give Carlson the Norris.
Draisatl is big doe.

Reactions: Magua and Striiker

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nico Hischier is going to make 7.3 million next year.

He plays on one of the worst teams in the league, and at age 18-20, he is already better than someone like Kevin Hayes by every single measure. Maybe a marginal RFA overpay at first, but that contract will get a lot of value over 7 years, I wager. He gets lost in the shuffle of those other top 5 picks being superstars, but he’s still a stud and one of the better all-around young players of his age. I wish Patrick performed like Hischier and we could give him that deal.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I live in Canada where we see Leafs practice hi-lights and interviews before we see the rest of the NHL. I live in western Canada I should add. Also an angry leaf fan tried to fight me at a game once. So there’s that

probably just low blood sugar on his part. Did you try offering them an eggo?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edmonton - 83 points, lost to Chi, 1-3
Colorado - 92 points, beat AZ 4-1, lost to Dallas 3-4
NYR - 79 points, swept by Carolina
Boston - 100 points, beat Carolina 4-1, lost to TB 1-4
Winnipeg - 80, lost to Calgary 1-3

While it's nice to have a Hart finalist, seems it doesn't guarantee success.
Neither Dallas nor TB have a player in the top ten in the voting.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Chara & Doughty with life time achievement votes essentially. Esa Lindell somehow got a third place vote. :laugh:

DeAngelo receiving votes isn’t even that far fetched. He had a legitimately good season. You can dislike the guy for his off the ice behavior but you can’t discredit his talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->