News Article: Misc. Oilers News/Info

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I was reading the comments on the FB oilers page today in the Darnell Nurse interview posted yesterday and it makes me sick to my stomach knowing there are racist Oilers fans out there and probably more than I know.

I just hope HFOil is not part of that group.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
What’s the gist? I’m boycotting the Edmonton Journal right now.

Basically that we suck at cap management compared to TB. From overpaying bottom end D-men, to too much dead cap space from buyouts, to not enough middle/depth forwards at a decent price. It is nothing we all didn't know already, just more magnified when compared against TB.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Basically that we suck at cap management compared to TB. From overpaying bottom end D-men, to too much dead cap space from buyouts, to not enough middle/depth forwards at a decent price. It is nothing we all didn't know already, just more magnified when compared against TB.

Suffice to say I’m glad I missed reading it. Thanks for the synopsis.

Probably not the only one hearing about how smart and great TB is with cap space seeing they have a huge lifestyle/tax advantage in selling players on their program. Maybe one of these years they’ll actually be able to also pay their bills.

Reactions: nabob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe he should compare us against Florida.

Simby

Oct 11, 2016

Problem is the Oilers have to overpay to get non-top players to come here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This is why Oiler fans shouldnt brush off smaller bad mistakes. Every 500K or 1Mil overpay, or bad trade, adds up. Its been, and still is, a death by a thousand cuts

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I was reading the comments on the FB oilers page today in the Darnell Nurse interview posted yesterday and it makes me sick to my stomach knowing there are racist Oilers fans out there and probably more than I know.

I just hope HFOil is not part of that group.

What’s the gist? I’m boycotting the Edmonton Journal right now.

This is why Oiler fans shouldnt brush off smaller bad mistakes. Every 500K or 1Mil overpay, or bad trade, adds up. Its been, and still is, a death by a thousand cuts

The article points out things like Lucic retention and Sekera buyouts but for some reason seems to blame most on previous management.

Holland is responsible for continuing the death by 1000 cuts. If he continues to do so that narrative has to stop and Holland needs to be strung up.

Being dead cap free better happen well before McDrai contracts are up or heads should roll.

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
so I started drawing memes with Oilers
Ice it.png Injured.png Look Away.png Starfish.png

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The article points out things like Lucic retention and Sekera buyouts but for some reason seems to blame most on previous management.

Holland is responsible for continuing the death by 1000 cuts. If he continues to do so that narrative has to stop and Holland needs to be strung up.

Being dead cap free better happen well before McDrai contracts are up or heads should roll.

I like Holland but I agree, he’s not been perfect. I don’t know if I would’ve done the Sekeras buyout when he did. And he looks closer to the guy we loved in 2017 and missed in 2018.

I’m not a Kris Russell hater but I would’ve attached a pick to get out of that before Sekeras. Or dealt him for nothing.

I also look at moves like the John Marino deal. Why weren’t there conditions attached? Conditions if he played a certain number of games, conditions if he got a certain number of points? If he was nothing more than an AHL d-man paying a 6th isn’t a huge price. If the guy is good enough for their top-4 and he’s exempt from next summers expansion draft isn’t that worth a little more? And right now that’s what we traded away...for very little in return.

And I say the same about Joel Persson deal albeit he left for Sweden so it is moot anyway. Imagine if he found a role in Anaheim and got 45 points next year? You going to be happy with a 6th? I’m not.

I didn’t love the AA deal mostly because I was disappointed they lost Gagner. I think the thing this team has missed the most the last three seasons is a veteran who knows his role, respected in the room and guys might rally around ala Matt Hendricks. Gagner was as close to that as we were getting.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So, Craig Button does his Oilers draft profile, published on TSN today, and somehow the paragraph entitled "2020 Look Ahead" is about the Flames goaltending. :confused:

It’s the same topic every year so he can’t get it off his mind. 2021 Look Ahead will be about who to sign when Marky can’t be their starter (despite success in Vancouver).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So, Craig Button does his Oilers draft profile, published on TSN today, and somehow the paragraph entitled "2020 Look Ahead" is about the Flames goaltending. :confused:

Highly doubt Button is posting his own content on the TSN website. Just a corporation plebe who lazily swapped out copy and forgot to update the Flamers portion. Interesting deets on the Oilers wack-a-mole 'strategy' to burn the most NHL picks on goaltenders and failing badly at it. This includes additional move-up picks for at least two. Goaltending failure in the system and overall meh success on the NHL roster in part keeps the wheels spinning into Rebuild 3.0.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Highly doubt Button is posting his own content on the TSN website. Just a corporation plebe who lazily swapped out copy and forgot to update the Flamers portion. Interesting deets on the Oilers wack-a-mole 'strategy' to burn the most NHL picks on goaltenders and failing badly at it. This includes additional move-up picks for at least two. Goaltending failure in the system and overall meh success on the NHL roster in part keeps the wheels spinning into Rebuild 3.0.

Looks like they figured it out as it has been updated. Probably would have preferred it unchanged as it shows the Oilers only having 3 picks in the first 3 rounds of the next two drafts combined. Hopefully they can recoup a couple of picks with an AA or Pulju move.

Covid has really screwed things up with the change to a flat cap and the NHL pro-rating stats to suit their biases. Ah well, I hope Holland has a solid plan going forward 'cause we're gonna need to continue to make progress while dealing with a decided lack of resources.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->