Speculation: Mirtle re: Our Goaltenders - Sparks as a potential back-up

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Mirtle said so on TSN 1050

Here is a snipped transcribed by NHL Trade Rumors:

“Calvin Pickard has been offered around the league in trade talks, other teams have been saying that. So, you know they are looking to ease that logjam a little bit.
But, I fully expect that the Leafs are going be putting one of those relatively goo options for backup on waivers, and I don’t think it makes any sense to put the AHL goalie of the year on waivers in the fall.
So, you either have to either make Garret Sparks your backup or you trade gotta him. I suspect he will be your backup."

I am a victim of thread highjacking/theft. It bugs me that this poster gave me zero credit.

Dude didn't even take the time to edit the transcribed text!

:thumbd:

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
What are you basing this off of exactly?

Sparks has been developing quite well...

has been developing and needs more time. He projects to be an NHLer one day, but he is not ready now. If push comes to shove and the Leafs are left with no options with him then he will get moved. Leafs goalie tandem works well and they are both better than sparks. but i like the kid, he has a future for sure. hopefully the Leafs can find a way to hold onto him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
has been developing and needs more time. He projects to be an NHLer one day, but he is not ready now. If push comes to shove and the Leafs are left with no options with him then he will get moved. Leafs goalie tandem works well and they are both better than sparks. but i like the kid, he has a future for sure. hopefully the Leafs can find a way to hold onto him.
If he's not ready now, I don't know what else they can do to get him there.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That would make Pickard still #4 on the depth chart, which isn't too surprising as part of the trade was that we could put him in the minors, and he's also only played in one NHL game since then. That's one more than Sparks recently (Sparks obviously has more NHL games as a Leaf overall), but it could be by design as we might be preparing Sparks to be a backup that assumes a bit more of a workload in comparison to McElhinney. Or McElhinney might still be ahead in the race for the backup spot. :) Should be an interesting competition as there's no real current front-runner in my view.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I do think that McBackup is our best option for 2018-19 in Toronto. Low salary, experienced and has shown he can do the job asked of the Babcock backup goalie which is take game 2 of the back-to-backs.
Asset management wise you always hate to give anything away for nothing.
Unfortunately I think we lose 2 of Sparks, Curtis, Pickard one way or another. A team strength in goalie depth is about to become a weakness but a backup goalie is a low value asset.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If they trade Pickard this summer, I think the idea is to keep both McBackup and Sparks on the roster until they are fairly sure that the one they send down will pass through waivers. Although I am pretty doubtful that Sparks is going to pass through waivers at any point in time.

If they don't trade Pickard then I think you send two down at the same time hoping that no more than one gets claimed off waivers.

If they lose the AHL goalie of the year to waivers in order to keep a 35 year old backup who is unlikely to ever come close to replicating the year he just had, I think that management are a bunch of fools.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No problem not solved because A you are handing Sparks the job when he hasn't earned it because it has to be earned in camp.

B you are trading Pickard a guy with real backup experience and waving Mcbackup leaving Toronto with basically nothing at the AHL level to be called up in case of injury

because if you waive Mcbackup he's likely getting claimed after what he's done in Toronto

That would be proundly stupid, not only have you not solved a problem you have created one.

Spark's was the best goaltender in the AHL, that's earning it, unless he sucks at camp it should be his job to lose

Pickard is going to get claimed off waivers so trading him is the prudent course if he's got any value at all, if he didn't require waivers it's a different discussion but unfortunately he does as does McBackup

All three of them need waivers, Sparks is the one to not risk getting claimed, he's a youngish man with significant potential upside still

No waivers made this decision necessary not me

Andersen NHL
Sparks NHL

KK AHL (splitting time as the starter)
McBackup (injury replacement #3)

Reactions: biotk

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I doubt Pickard is claimed off of waivers. Who is going to keep him on their roster?

I hope they start with three goalies in the lineup, give Sparks the opportunity, and move McBackup if Sparks shines in the role.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I doubt Pickard is claimed off of waivers. Who is going to keep him on their roster?
Yup , he passed through waivers last year and hasn't done anything since to up his value .

The only way I see him picked off waivers is if a team runs into injury problems in camp .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I hope they start with three goalies in the lineup, give Sparks the opportunity, and move McBackup if Sparks shines in the role.

Calgary comes to mind

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
I like the idea of having a young back up, however; McBackup was terrific last year. In my opinion he only loses the job if Sparks is outstanding in camp. There are starters in this league older than our back up, so I think we are well positioned. Having said that, Leafs brass should look to focus on drafting more goalies in the next few draft years. It will be a position of need in three to four years.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Having said that, Leafs brass should look to focus on drafting more goalies in the next few draft years. It will be a position of need in three to four years
What's going to happen to Freddy?

Besides one per draft + euro and college signings should be more than enough?

Even now we have
Andersen
Mc
Sparks
Pickard
Kasimir
Woll
Scott
Bouthillier

One top 10 starter, 2 legit backups and 5 wildcards is fine I think..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sparks is the most logical option - he’s been incredibly consistenr and on a steady development trajectory.

McBackup clearly overachieved last season - and Dubas of all people will realize that, he’s going on waivers if a trade partner isn’t found (doubtful anyone claims him). And the fact that other teams have apparently said hat Pickard is on the market

Reactions: Kiwi

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
theres alot of assumptions regarding the upcoming year in this thread.

sparks can have the job when hes earned it, mcbackup was the best backup goalie in the nhl last year.
i really like sparks but i like winning more, if he shows that he can win in that role like our current backup did last year then im all for it..otherwise i prefer the status quo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->