Speculation: Mirtle re: Our Goaltenders - Sparks as a potential back-up

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's got to earn it in camp I don't care what he did in the AHL because it's exactly that the AHL and he's 25 he was drafted 7 years ago.

If he was a forward or a D man at the same age we'd be calling him a minor league guy, and rightfully so, but he's a goalie so people live in a world of denial, despite the fact that Sparks couldn't take a job from Reimer or Bernier both of whom were a disgrace to the jersey.

Why should we believe he can beat out Pickard, a guy with real backup experience AND Mcbackup who HAS to have the inside track after the year he had?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's got to earn it in camp I don't care what he did in the AHL because it's exactly that the AHL and he's 25 he was drafted 7 years ago.

If he was a forward or a D man at the same age we'd be calling him a minor league guy, and rightfully so, but he's a goalie so people live in a world of denial, despite the fact that Sparks couldn't take a job from Reimer or Bernier both of whom were a disgrace to the jersey.

Why should we believe he can beat out Pickard, a guy with real backup experience AND Mcbackup who HAS to have the inside track after the year he had?

The first guy on the block for waivers has to be McBackup

He's old and he had a miracle of a year that he's highly unlikely to replicate, keeping him and ditching Sparks at his age and with his AHL numbers is an appalling idea

Try to trade Pickard for anything and waive McBackup

Problem solved

Reactions: Menzinger and Mork

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The first guy on the block for waivers has to be McBackup

He's old and he had a miracle of a year that he's highly unlikely to replicate, keeping him and ditching Sparks at his age and with his AHL numbers is an appalling idea

Try to trade Pickard for anything and waive McBackup

Problem solved

No problem not solved because A you are handing Sparks the job when he hasn't earned it because it has to be earned in camp.

B you are trading Pickard a guy with real backup experience and waving Mcbackup leaving Toronto with basically nothing at the AHL level to be called up in case of injury

because if you waive Mcbackup he's likely getting claimed after what he's done in Toronto

That would be proundly stupid, not only have you not solved a problem you have created one.

Reactions: djdev

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I have been rewatching the season by watching all the "Game in Six" videos.

Just watched McElhinney play Edm, and it was an absolutely beautiful performance by a goaltender. I would hate to trade McBackup if he has a few games like this left in the tank.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No problem not solved because A you are handing Sparks the job when he hasn't earned it because it has to be earned in camp.

B you are trading Pickard a guy with real backup experience and waving Mcbackup leaving Toronto with basically nothing at the AHL level to be called up in case of injury

because if you waive Mcbackup he's likely getting claimed after what he's done in Toronto

That would be proundly stupid, not only have you not solved a problem you have created one.
Not that I agree with @Kiwi but we still have Kaskisuo to mind the net with the Marlies, but agreed that we would destroy our goaltending depth if we did what he said

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not that I agree with @Kiwi but we still have Kaskisuo to mind the net with the Marlies, but agreed that we would destroy our goaltending depth if we did what he said

Yeah, do you want to see that guy called up? or Eamon Mcadam? guessing the answer is no and that's my point doing what is being suggested destroys depth, unless you sign a guy like Steve Mason

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, do you want to see that guy called up? or Eamon Mcadam? guessing the answer is no and that's my point doing what is being suggested destroys depth, unless you sign a guy like Steve Mason

It’s entirely possible to lose both goaltenders we put on waivers this offseason. If we keep sparks then mac had a great season and is getting claimed, and pickers has nhl experience and could very well be claimed. Sparks on waivers will also get claimed. Trade sparks to at least get something for him, I beleive he isn’t even going to be an nhl backup for very long anyway if at all. Pickles is most likely to slip trough waivers and mac can add veteran presence to a youngish team not to mention he doesn’t deserve to lose his spot

Edit: damn autocorrect pickles and pickers = pickard

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think if you expect Mcbackup to repeat his performance from last season, you're in for a rude awakening. I think he goes back to his usual numbers which are pretty much average backup numbers. As much as Sparks' numbers and awards look good, after seeing him in person for several years on the marlies, I question whether he's actually capable of being an NHL backup. He seems to get rattled really easily and has clear flaws in his positioning that'll get exposed in the NHL. I actually think Pickard may be the best option. In both years as a backup in Colorado he was excellent. He's just not capable of being a starter. I fail to see how he's fourth on the depth chart here. I don't find Mcbackup or Sparks impressive in my experience.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I think I know what you are saying.

;)

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
If the leafs are unable to trade a goalie, McBackup will be the one on waivers.

It's common sense asset management people.

Reactions: biotk

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
adding the obligatory..."play with just three centres and have a third goalie" comment. lol.

I suppose you could look at it like this. In a perfect world, Andersen gets 85% of the starts, backup gets the rest. No need for Sparks..his talent is wasted..trade him as his value is higher.

But is that realistic, God forbid Andersen gets injured (and its not like it hasn't happened) so you want your best backup that can step into a starter role if needed. So you keep Sparks and trade MCBackup or Pickard or lose them to waivers.

The issue is if Sparks gets of to a bad start in camp, you have a known quality in McElhinney. Its going to be hard to let go of that and take a leap of faith for Babcock. Hopefully Dubas makes it an easy choice for him.

tokiih

Nov 30, 2017
I don't understand why people expect McBackup to 'revert to old numbers'. Prior to last season he had just played 14 games for us and even though his numbers weren't as good as last season they weren't terrible either (for a backup). If you also keep in mind that the team as a whole was better 17-18 compared to 16-17 and we can/should expect to be even better this season then I really don't see any reason as to why he suddenly should be expected to perform poorly.

In my eyes it's McBackups job to lose.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Goalies mature at a much different rate than F or D do.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
McElhinney was really slow moving side to side at the beginning of the year, but somehow, or at the very least it was perceived in my mind, he got better as the season went on.

Does Sparks control rebounds and make the occasional outstanding save? If so, he would be suitable back up.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It’s entirely possible to lose both goaltenders we put on waivers this offseason. If we keep sparks then mac had a great season and is getting claimed, and pickers has nhl experience and could very well be claimed. Sparks on waivers will also get claimed. Trade sparks to at least get something for him, I beleive he isn’t even going to be an nhl backup for very long anyway if at all. Pickles is most likely to slip trough waivers and mac can add veteran presence to a youngish team not to mention he doesn’t deserve to lose his spot

Edit: damn autocorrect pickles and pickers = pickard
I find this persuasive as well.

I think they need to see who does what in camp, but they are likely to lose two of the three.

Maybe they just need to decide who has the best future and if they could only keep one, which one to keep?

I sure as He'll don't know the answer, but I do keep coming back to Sparks or Pickard. If one of the younger guys wind it in camp, then maybe it's time to trade high on McElhinney. Turn a waiver claim into a year-plus of good service and maybe a sixth- or seventh-round draft pick. Nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad