News Article: Mirtle: How the Olympic break works for NHL players

Betamax*

Interesting piece by my favourite ex-hockey blogger turned MSM, James Mirtle on the upcoming Olympics Break and how it affects players and teams.

Mirtle: How the Olympic break works for NHL players
JAMES MIRTLE
The Globe and Mail
Published Tuesday, Jan. 28 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Jan. 28 2014, 8:08 PM EST

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-break-works-for-nhl-players/article16548337/

I will excerpts a few points of the article that may be relevant for the Canucks:

re:

Here’s a rundown of some of the more interesting aspects of the break:

- The trade freeze runs from 3 p.m. ET on Friday, Feb. 7, until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 23, the day of the gold medal game in Sochi.

- As Elliotte Friedman pointed out earlier in the day, players are paid throughout the break, so there could be some cap-related manoeuvrings prior to the freeze. One NHL executive noted that one bizarre loophole with the break is some entry level players can be “loaned†(i.e. demoted to the minors) for cap reasons even if they aren’t eligible to play in the AHL, making it merely a paper transaction. (NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said that was a simplified way of looking at what’s possible during the break but “not categorically inaccurate.â€)

- Why can’t some players play in the AHL? Well the league and the NHLPA negotiated a big, long list of stipulations over which players get an Olympic break and which ones don’t, a string of legalese that’s not included in the CBA. Basically, players who don’t require waivers to be sent down still get the time off if (a) they were on an NHL roster (or injured reserve) for at least 75 per cent of the days between Oct. 1 and Jan. 24, including being in the NHL on Jan. 24 or later or (b) they participated in 16 of the last 20 games before the break.

- Regardless of their age or contract status, players who fall into those two groups are deemed to have earned an Olympic break and can’t “practice, participate or play†with their AHL team at any point during the 10-day break.

Any ELC player will be send down before the break i.e. Lain and Corrado will be ... Would Kassian require the "loophole" as stated above? To be honest, I'm not exactly clear on what being "eligible" means. I assume that means a player would have to clear waivers since they've played more than the number of pro games that would invoke waivers eligibility and this "loophole" will mean they don't need to clear waivers. Someone please confirm or deny this.

And ....

- If you want to put a veteran player on waivers, however, in order to play them in the minors during the break, that’s fair game. That’s a pretty cold move if it’s a player that’s been on your roster all season and planning for some time off, but it would save some cap space.

I think the Canucks' may do this with David Booth (since there's virtually no risk of losing him on waivers and they would be doing a happy dance, IMO, if a team were to make a claim) and save some cap space, even if it's just a little bit.

The article also talks about "no conditioning assignments allowed until Feb. 19", so I don't think the Canucks can send Lack down there for some playing time (he is on a standard players' contract) is my inference.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm not sure sending Kassian down to play would be as good an idea as it sounds in theory.

Booth should just rest, no need to risk him injuring himself in the AHL.

Betamax*

I'm not sure sending Kassian down to play would be as good an idea as it sounds in theory.

Well, the alternative is that hoping he continues to train hard during the break and not go the way of "Shane O'Brien" route ... which might still be a concern to the Canucks given the incident he had last season. Maybe he's matured to the point that it's not a concern.

Booth should just rest, no need to risk him injuring himself in the AHL.

It could maybe be a paper transaction to save a little cap space, but I wonder what Booth will be doing in his break of he isn't sent down to play hockey. i.e. working on his hockey shooting skills or being out in the wilderness perfecting his shooting skills of a different movie. (I'm pretty sure wildlife are hoping for the former).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I expect Lain and Corrado would get returned to the AHL since they'd be eligible to play.

Kassian is a tougher case. If I'm reading those rules correctly he wouldn't be eligible to play in the AHL over the break so it'd strictly be a cap move. But the problem is that unlike a guy with a 1 way deal, in order to save that money against the cap Kassian would have to be paid his $67K salary for the break rather than the $870K salary he gets in the NHL. Over a 10 day break he'd be out about $41K; not exactly the best way to reward a guy who has been one of the team's best forwards lately.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Well, the alternative is that hoping he continues to train hard during the break and not go the way of "Shane O'Brien" route ... which might still be a concern to the Canucks given the incident he had last season. Maybe he's matured to the point that it's not a concern.

It could maybe be a paper transaction to save a little cap space, but I wonder what Booth will be doing in his break of he isn't sent down to play hockey. i.e. working on his hockey shooting skills or being out in the wilderness perfecting his shooting skills of a different movie. (I'm pretty sure wildlife are hoping for the former).

Hunting season is long over.

Betamax*

I expect Lain and Corrado would get returned to the AHL since they'd be eligible to play.

Kassian is a tougher case. If I'm reading those rules correctly he wouldn't be eligible to play in the AHL over the break so it'd strictly be a cap move. But the problem is that unlike a guy with a 1 way deal, in order to save that money against the cap Kassian would have to be paid his $67K salary for the break rather than the $870K salary he gets in the NHL. Over a 10 day break he'd be out about $41K; not exactly the best way to reward a guy who has been one of the team's best forwards lately.

It seems like your reading on the rules seem correct. I'm assuming he's played enough pro games to require waivers so, they aren't going to send him down. But you're right on the last point. That would acting kinda like “Penny wise, pound foolish.â€

What's your take on Booth. Do you think the Canucks are at the point where they would put him on waivers (since no rational team would claim him) for the small cap savings?

Hunting season is long over.

Well, I think that would depend on the jurisdiction/area and type of animals involved. But I think it would be in our best interest to not turn this thread into a debate on that topic.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Booth should be sent to practice with some peewee kids, work on his stick handling and passing and be on the ice with players who only have a slightly higher hockey IQ than him for a few weeks to get his confidence back. Maybe he'll learn how to make a pass or skate with his head up, miracles can happen!

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It seems like your reading on the rules seem correct. I'm assuming he's played enough pro games to require waivers so, they aren't going to send him down. But you're right on the last point. That would acting kinda like “Penny wise, pound foolish.”

What's your take on Booth. Do you think the Canucks are at the point where they would put him on waivers (since no rational team would claim him) for the small cap savings?

Kassian doesn't need waivers yet, so they could demote him if they wanted to but I don't know if there's much of a point, especially with all their injuries. They're probably going to be back into LTIR at some point soon anyway.

If they thought someone would take Booth they'd waive him in a second, but that's never going to happen. And the pittance of savings they'd get because of the $925K rule means it's probably not worth it.

Betamax*

Kassian doesn't need waivers yet, so they could demote him if they wanted to but I don't know if there's much of a point, especially with all their injuries. They're probably going to be back into LTIR at some point soon anyway.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Kassian requires waivers but the players will have about 10 days off and if he doesn't require waivers and could be sent down without the threat of being claim (obviously there would be probably 29 claims for him) for playing time ... I think you'd probably want a young guy like Kassian to continue playing and developing his game ... and not, uh, hanging out late partying at the bars during this break.

Betamax*

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Kassian requires waivers but the players will have about 10 days off and if he doesn't require waivers and could be sent down without the threat of being claim (obviously there would be probably 29 claims for him) for playing time ... I think you'd probably want a young guy like Kassian to continue playing and developing his game ... and not, uh, hanging out late partying at the bars during this break.

Just as I wrote this Kassian was on TEAM Radio saying he plans to take a vacation to some place warm in the Sun. I guess he's played well enough and showed enough commitment this season that they would and should trust that he will keep in shape and be ready to go when the season resumes.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Kassian can't play though. He's been on the roster all year so he can't get sent to the AHL for playing time during the break as per the rules.

Betamax*

Kassian can't play though. He's been on the roster all year so he can't get sent to the AHL for playing time during the break as per the rules.

Yeah, as per your previous comments and me re-reading both points back to back. If it was possible, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing for his development. Anyway, that's a moot point now ... just hope that he and any other canucks players aren't, uh, featured on deadspin.com during the Olympics break ...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Wouldn't want him to be sent there. This team needs rest to try and come out strong again after the Olympics. Going to be hard to get the offense going after the Olympics with Daniel, Henrik, Kesler and Hamhuis all going to the Olympics and not resting, so guys like Kassian are going to have to pick up the slack since the schedule is basically a game every 2 days for the rest of the season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Abbotsford Heat, isn't that where he is right now? Pretty sure the Flames waived him a few weeks ago unless I'm missing something?

Get 20 nets and stack them in a 5x4 grid. Hopefully our guys can hit one of them. Build up some confidence.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks should be working feverishly if 1) They intend to salvage the season 2)Gillis has trades cooking 3)Torts is going to modify the scheme.

Really doubt any of that happens, though.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canucks should be working feverishly if 1) They intend to salvage the season 2)Gillis has trades cooking 3)Torts is going to modify the scheme.

Really doubt any of that happens, though.

Trades can be talked about over Olympic break, but trades cannot be executed. If Gillis has something brewing it'll likely happen after the break, IMO knowing the shrewd negotiator Gillis is.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Trades can be talked about over Olympic break, but trades cannot be executed. If Gillis has something brewing it'll likely happen after the break, IMO knowing the shrewd negotiator Gillis is.

I wonder how many Canucks could pass a physical? Of the desireable players, how many are playing injured or will need offseason surgery? I bet there's a few. Add in the family men who won't waive and the guys nobody wants and it leaves few options. I think you'd be looking at Hansen for picks type deals, not immediate help. As you mention, Gillis is shrewd and might have surprises in store.

I'd love for Gillis to get a jump on projected rosters and fill holes for next season. I could live with missing the playoffs if there was obvious progress being made. The team could call up kids at the end of the season, when the games won't count and showcase them for fans. At least there's be something positive going on at the end of the season.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Our non olympic player should work with a skill coach especially burrows and if they can some conditional game at the ahl

Betamax*

Our non olympic player should work with a skill coach especially burrows and if they can some conditional game at the ahl

Henrik stated in an interview on 1040 that he is staying in Vancouver, rehabbing. I suspect those many players that are healthy will be taking a mini-vacation to some place warm. Kassian mentioned that was in his plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad