Miroslav Frycer passes away at 61

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Loved him. Wonderful player. Part of my childhood, and as someone mentioned, a bright light during some dark days as a Leafs fan.

God love him and rest his soul.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I also remember a certain Saturday night game against Edmonton a few seasons earlier where the Leafs thrashed the Oilers. Greg Terrion looked like a world beater that night shadowing Gretzky and scoring twice.

That Leafs' team in that video had its fair share of forward talent: Clark, Courtnall, Leeman, Thomas, Vaive (injured), Frycer plus a young Iafrate on defense. Damphousse came in the next season. With better defense and goaltending those teams could have been way better teams. The team's defense was always such a hodgepodge of recycled defensemen with in-over-their-heads high draft picks.

A lot of defensemen can look a LOT better if the team plays some type of system. Can you imagine if the Leafs actually had a coach in those days?

So much drinking, there's a lot of players from that era that are facing demons from it.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse.
Former Maple Leaf Miroslav Frycer just happy to be alive

Had an epic feud with Brophy as well.

Finally read that article.....I really liked Frycer back in the day. Wanted 14 in minor hockey. My Dad got him to sign his player postcard for me that they had back then on one of his hockey trips. Yet, reading the stuff in the Star article made me sad almost. What a circus the Leafs were back then, on and off the ice. I will admit, I have no idea what went on with other teams, but reading that really made me shake my head. Was it really cases of beer in the room win or lose, home or road..... stuff like that. I get it, hockey players at that level were know to love their drinks. Not so much now. It's no wonder a guy like him would end up the way he did almost. Sounds like he was pretty much a victim of his surroundings, not to mention his youth.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
I really liked Frycer. We are about the same age , so this hits close to home. His book corroborates a lot of the theories as to why the Leafs had such a long run of no cups. It basically comes down to two eras, the Ballard years and Stavros years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->