Votes: 105 92.9%
  • Prime/peak Klingberg.

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Last time this was a topic was back when Heiskanen was still a rookie. He's since played 5 more seasons, cementing himself as one of the best defensenan in the game.

However, Klingberg in his prime was at one point also one of the best defenseman in the league, and probably top 3 when it came to offense.

Who is the better player? Heiskanen or prime/peak Klingberg.

Take into account only what Heiskanen has done so far. Since I think it's likely at this point he'll have the better prime and career considering Klingberg's decline.

Klingberg
Norris finishes: 6, 6

Heiskanen
Norris finishes: 7, 12, 12

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen by far

Just superior 2way player and he has 2 MVP level playoff runs under his belt

Kling was more of a player you needed to shelter, with Heiskanen/Lindell

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Just to emphasize the offensive difference between the two players, comparing their best individual seasons.

In 2015-16, Klingberg finished 5th in scoring for defenseman and 56th for all positions.

In 2017-18, he finished 3rd in scoring for defenseman and 43rd in scoring for all positions. A weaker year, but impressive nonetheless.

In comparison, Heiskanen last year finished 7th in scoring for defense.an and 55th in scoring for all positions.

The gap is smaller than I thought it would be. So it seems like offensively, Heiskanen matched Klingberg's 2nd best year, but not his best year. But I also think it's very fair to say the difference offensively between 2017-18 Klingberg and last year Heiskanen is not enough to overcome the defensive gap.

However, Heiskanen has also not been close to being a 72 point defender nor a top 10 offensive defenseman in any other season of his career. He's currently pacing for 59 points this year. It remains to be seen whether 2022-23 was an anomaly production wise or not. In comparison, Klingberg has 3 seasons of top 10 production for defenseman (2016-17 he finished 10th, but received no Norris votes)

Now on the defensive side of things, it's harder to come across individual stats. But I think it's worth noting Heiskanen had two 12 place Norris finishes despite not being anywhere close to top 10 in points for defenseman, which I think says something about his defensive prowess. We all know defensive defenseman don't get as much Norris consideration. To get an idea, Slavin who is widely considered one of the best in that regard, has mostly finished around the 10th-20th area for Norris voting, with only 2 seasons in the 5-9 range.

Of course, this is just the statistical and award overview. Feel free to add in some context to those who have watched them regularly.

Last edited:

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
I don't think you will see Miro reach his peak offensive abilities until he is playing on his dominant side. That might happen now with Tanev joining but they are still overloaded on the left (unless Lundqvist suddenly sticks) and Miro is good enough to play at a near-Norris level on his off side.

Also the stars need to shuffle Benn out of the PP1 for any of like 6 guys and see some more effort from Hintz and Robo. Miro's numbers would rise with a more effective power play (which obviously he has to take some of the blame for too).

Loved Klingberg but because of his defense he just can't stack up with Miro.

Reactions: piqued

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Heiskanen by far

Exactly and my first thought was that this isn't even going to be close.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Heiskanen by far

That bubble playoff run, both of them were amazing!

I'll always remember prime Klingberg, he was awesome. He was always a threat on the PP, and could walk the line like he was Johnny Cash!

But, when comparing them Heiskanen may not be as good offensively, but his defensive play makes him win this imo. Also, like Ratbath said, Heiskanen has been playing on his on his offside and is still dominant out there.

I will say watching Heiskanen, I feel like he holds back from doing more offensive things, whether that's just him, or he doesn't want to get caught, or whatever, but when watching him you can see he could do alot more. Just my thoughts

Reactions: piqued and Felidae

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Lol how is Klingberg STILL overrated?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
So either Klingberg shouldn't have been getting Norris votes or Heiskanen should be getting much more based on results.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Dallas is my favorite West team (insert 2020 SCF joke here).

The landslide in this poll is appropriate. Klingberg was a little bit better offensively, and a d-man you'd want on the PP. But Heiskanen isn't far behind, while in their own end the edge Miro has isn't even a contest.

Heiskanen is the easy pick here.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
So either Klingberg shouldn't have been getting Norris votes or Heiskanen should be getting much more based on results.
Karlsson effect on voters. Hard to measure defense on paper and nobody is watching every game so offense gets you more votes than defense from the guys who just watch the numbers

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think the competition is a lot tougher right now than it was when Klingberg peaked

Reactions: Regal

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Both. Klingberg should never have been getting Norris votes. People were blinded by points on the power play and in sheltered usage.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just to emphasize the offensive difference between the two players, comparing their best individual seasons.

In 2015-16, Klingberg finished 5th in scoring for defenseman and 56th for all positions.

In 2017-18, he finished 3rd in scoring for defenseman and 43rd in scoring for all positions. A weaker year, but impressive nonetheless.

In comparison, Heiskanen last year finished 7th in scoring for defense.an and 55th in scoring for all positions.

The gap is smaller than I thought it would be. So it seems like offensively, Heiskanen matched Klingberg's 2nd best year, but not his best year. But I also think it's very fair to say the difference offensively between 2017-18 Klingberg and last year Heiskanen is not enough to overcome the defensive gap.

However, Heiskanen has also not been close to being a 72 point defender nor a top 10 offensive defenseman in any other season of his career. He's currently pacing for 59 points this year. It remains to be seen whether 2022-23 was an anomaly production wise or not. In comparison, Klingberg has 3 seasons of top 10 production for defenseman (2016-17 he finished 10th, but received no Norris votes)

Now on the defensive side of things, it's harder to come across individual stats. But I think it's worth noting Heiskanen had two 12 place Norris finishes despite not being anywhere close to top 10 in points for defenseman, which I think says something about his defensive prowess. We all know defensive defenseman don't get as much Norris consideration. To get an idea, Slavin who is widely considered one of the best in that regard, has mostly finished around the 10th-20th area for Norris voting, with only 2 seasons in the 5-9 range.

Of course, this is just the statistical and award overview. Feel free to add in some context to those who have watched them regularly.

Klingberg is an offensive defensive and Heiskanen is a true 1D, and the latter is way better to have.

Klingberg’s prime wasn’t that long either, I’m guessing Heiskanen is going to be great for a while.

Best seasons
IMG_4678.png
IMG_4679.png
vs
IMG_4680.pngIMG_4683.pngIMG_4681.png

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Klingberg absolutely deserved Norris votes during the year he played under Hitchcock who forced him to actually play defense. He was an elite all-around defenseman. Then he immediately forgot how to play defense again once Hitch was fired and began his overall decline.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It’s wild when you look at his overall impact from his first 4 seasons in the NHL with Klingberg.
Insanely strong driver of offense, one of the top players in the league at even strength offense generation.

Then it just dropped right off after that, he never even comes close to those levels again, like at all.

Differing insiders on who actually turned down the biggest mistake of his life of $56 million.

But nobody got through to him with the message “buddy, you ain’t that guy anymore, so take it”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad