it probably never gets proven one way or the other. facts are:
  • player performances fluctuate from game to game and year to year
  • some players, who had covid perform lesser than last season
  • some players, who had no covid perform lesser than last season
  • some players, who had covid perform same as last season
  • some players, who had no covid perform same as last season
  • some players, who had covid perform better than last season
  • some players, who had no covid perform better than last season
i don't think the sample size will be big enough to come to any conclusions. injuries and other illnesses existed in the past as well and weren't always considered, when evaluating player performances.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
If there is a problem, its probably mental burnout etc., since physically he should be in top tier condition.

At least the 10 times per week offseason workout program went great According to his personal coach..

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I did not expect this start, not from Heiskanen, i thought he'd the be THE favorite to win the Norris this year.

Minus one or two great defensive and offensive plays this season, he has been shit, utter garbage.
So has been the Dallas Stars thou,..to be fair.

Insane take. Not that I would expect anything more. Smh.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Cut a young player some slack. Dude is 21 and has delivered every step of the way in his first 2 seasons.

Even without the unusual circumstances that can affect every player differently, i wouldn't make a thread after 13 games..

I mean, Seth Jones hasn't exactly been dominating overall in the season thus far and that's a veteran guy in his prime. Similar to Heiskanen's situation team hasn't looked great which doesn't make it any easier.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Corona is not easy for a hockeyplayer. Ristolainen example.

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-ristolainen-covid-19-battle-cautionary-tale/

Heard same kind of reports from KHL.

He's one of the rare cases, as said in the article most people who contract it, especially people this young will be asymptomatic or have acute symptoms at best. It's going to hit everyone differently, Risto is just unlucky. For most players, the mandatory quarantine probably hindered them more than the virus.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Or you know, he regressed back to his normal standard of play and that 21 games was a hot streak.....

His PPG was 0.45 in the 150 games before the playoffs, did he magically become a PPG player or did he have a hot streak.?
This is why it's better to watch games. It's not about the points, it's about the level he played. He didn't play better during playoffs than he normally does, he just got more points. His game didn't elevate that much, he just got more recognition because of the points.

Now he plays worse than during playoffs or anytime during his career. Like since his first shift in the NHL he hasn't played like this. But he if anyone will get better soon.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Or you know, he regressed back to his normal standard of play and that 21 games was a hot streak.....

His PPG was 0.45 in the 150 games before the playoffs, did he magically become a PPG player or did he have a hot streak.?

The problem isn't his ppg alone. In many cases he seems like he's a step behind somehow and we're talking about one of the best skaters in the league with a good defensive hockey iq. I wouldn't call him a liability but in all the games I've watched this season he's seemed "distant" or not as engaged somehow.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It was silly to watch all that Heiskanen hype during playoffs because that got many fans and journalists exposed. Heiskanen played like he normally does, but his teammates suddenly learned how to score and he got lot of points. Now all of a sudden Heiskanen is the man, just because of some secondary assists and couple goals.

Why should we watch games? Let's just open nhl.com and stats center and then decide who is the best dman based on PPG. Mystically Dahlin's PPG is way lower now because Eichel&co can't score. MacKinnon and Rantanen will always score, so Makar will always put up points no matter what (he's a great d-man, nothing away from him)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem isn't his ppg alone. In many cases he seems like he's a step behind somehow and we're talking about one of the best skaters in the league with a good defensive hockey iq. I wouldn't call him a liability but in all the games I've watched this season he's seemed "distant" or not as engaged somehow.

I looks like he is not in game shape. And it was reported he had corona?

You do 1+1 = ?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was silly to watch all that Heiskanen hype during playoffs because that got many fans and journalists exposed. Heiskanen played like he normally does, but his teammates suddenly learned how to score and he got lot of points. Now all of a sudden Heiskanen is the man, just because of some secondary assists and couple goals.

Why should we watch games? Let's just open nhl.com and stats center and then decide who is the best dman based on PPG. Mystically Dahlin's PPG is way lower now because Eichel&co can't score. MacKinnon and Rantanen will always score, so Makar will always put up points no matter what (he's a great d-man, nothing away from him)

This is funny also, how you have to score the best points to win the Selke Trophy. At same defend well, but nobody isn't talking about that. All hype and talk will come of that scoring.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I looks like he is not in game shape. And it was reported he had corona?

You do 1+1 = ?

When does something become a pattern rather than a simple coincidence? A lot of players that are grossly under performing also had covid in the recent history.

Reactions: archimet

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
How would getting covid make a player bad?

I would bet you never played competitive sports.

If you're not fully fit - ESPECIALLY if you miss training camp, when the whole thing is about getting your body fit after an extended rest, it can take months to catch up.

It's similar for the end of season, if you starting running out of stamina/strength while the season is still going, it feels like someone else is controlling your body. Your brain is still used to your body being in peak condition, but it doesn't listen.

Everything is off. Your coordination, your speed, your reactions.

So a player having COVID during preseason and then struggling.... Is far from a curious occurence.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dallas has been complete dog**** since Game 5 of the season, that hot start was an anomaly.

Since starting the season 4-0, they're 1-4-4. One win in their last nine games, and last night was their first game in over a week - and they lost that one too. :laugh:

Now they're eight points out of a playoff spot, and one point up on last-place Detroit (with 7 games in hand, so it's not THAT bad lol)

Would really like to see them turn this ship around and actually compete for a playoff spot, but now their remaining games are going to be more compressed than any team's schedule in the history of the league (probably not but it feels like it, something like 43 games in 75 days).

Maybe Seguin finally comes back off IR and goes on a tear, same with Bishop, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Miro's underwhelming performance stat-wise isn't really concerning though, he'll bounce back eventually. If not this season, then the next.

Reactions: Jussi and Elysian

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's not been fantastic but with this being such a weird year - not just players getting COVID themselves but the odd schedule, no ramp up to the season and things we probably never hear about that players (ie, people) may be dealing with outside the rink at an unusual level, my mantra for this season is:

"Praise as usual all the guys who are really excelling but temper the complaining and criticism of players who may not be their usual selves - especially guys who are not old and have typically played at a very high standard".

I don't mean to say "never complain about performance" or not to admit when a player is playing poorly just that looking back on this season, we are going to see a ton of statistical data that people overreacted too and that weren't any kind of trend but merely total anomalies.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Take a gander at the Stars team so far this season. EVERYONE as of late is underperforming but Heiskanen will be fine.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
When does something become a pattern rather than a simple coincidence? A lot of players that are grossly under performing also had covid in the recent history.

Perhaps blood test all season means no roids...
The above statement is a joke I have knowledge of drug use and I am not saying anyone in the NHL would ever

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
He's been unremarkable, but most of the team has been trash in general. I'm less concerned about his offense (he's still on a better points per game pace than his past two seasons) and more about how off he has looked defensively and with his decision making; it's like you can see the brain fog. Dunno if it is covid after effects related or not, but it sucks either way.

Stars relied heavily on their PP to start the season and once it cooled off, nobody is getting any points and they look like absolute dog shit. They've already had two week-long delays to their season which means even less time for practices or rest between games, so I don't see things getting much better for them any time soon.

If things continue like this, their only hope is for every other team to begin getting fatigued and come down to their level because the Stars don't have the depth needed to be able to keep up while playing games just about every other day from here on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad