Minority Report: Alumni NHLers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nckd

Jun 16, 2004
NY
He means not a white guy like the majority of NHL players past and present.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just so happens I'm doing a report in high school about Aboriginal/Native NHLers:

Fred Sasakamoose was the first
Bryan Trottier the greatest
Reggie Leach, Jim Nielson are others.
Fleury & Souray come from Aboriginal/Native parents

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
One of my all-time favorite players, Ray Neufeld, RW played 595 NHL games with Hartford, Winnipeg and Boston, scored 157 goals and amassed 357 points.

Plus cannot forget Bill Riley, played for Washington and Winnipeg, got into a fierce fight with Tiger Williams during the 76-77 season.

Brian Johnson, only played 3 games for the Red Wings during the 83-84 season.

Graeme Townshend of the NY Islanders, New Jersey's Claude Vilgrain.

Alton White, who played 145 games in the World Hockey Association between 1972 and 1975.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Sorry, forgot to fill in the details in above post in regard to the Riley-Williams fight, here's what happened in that game:

The Caps hosted Toronto on March 27, 1977 and the fireworks started early. The Maple Leafs' Tiger Williams and the Caps' Bill Riley went toe-to-toe just 11 seconds into the game. Both received fighting majors; Williams was also slapped with a gross misconduct for "conduct unbecoming of a hockey player." Toronto took a 1-0 lead but a fired-up Riley came out of the penalty box and scored a pair of power play goals in less than two minutes of time. The game was marred by a slew of roughing, slashing and cross-checking calls. Washington took a 6-2 lead on three second period goals and Meehan's tally early in the third. Riley and Toronto's Brian Glennie mixed it up and this time it was Riley who received the gross misconduct for pulling Glennie's hair. Since it was Riley's third game misconduct of the season, he drew an automatic suspension for the Caps' next game. Washington held on to beat the Leafs, 7-4. The win was the Caps' 22nd of the season, doubling their output from the 1975-76 campaign.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bergeron47 said:
Just so happens I'm doing a report in high school about Aboriginal/Native NHLers:

Fred Sasakamoose was the first
Bryan Trottier the greatest
Reggie Leach, Jim Nielson are others.
Fleury & Souray come from Aboriginal/Native parents
My brother teaches in Brandon,Manitoba and was using hockey to get some kids to read and write a report. He got a native kid quite interested in Fred Sasakamoose's story. They actually got him on the phone and interviewed him, and later on, arranged a visit to their school. Pretty interesting guy. He can tell a few stories and educate on what he and others faced. If you'd like some data [and I'm sure they have plenty], pm me and I can put you in touch .

MacDaddy TLC*

Henry Boucha was a player in the 1970s of Aboriginal descent. He was a character. He wore a bandana/headband. His career ended prematurely when some guy gouged his eye in a fight (Forbes of the Bruins?)

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
You are absolutely right, Boucha suffered an eye injury caused by a high stick from Boston's Dave Forbes back on Jan. 4, 1975, which eventually forced him to retire. Missed part of that 74-75 season due to that eye injury that required surgery. Forbes was criminally charged in in the incident, in which he also banged Boucha's head into the ice. Forbes' trial resulted in a hung jury.

Boucha was the first NHL player to wear headband, which became his trademark, he was nicknamed "The Chief" (he is a full-blooded Ojibwa (Chippewa) Indian. He is an active supporter of Native American causes and charities, named the 47th most important sports figure in Minnesota history by Minneapolis Star Tribune, also the subject of a biography called Henry Boucha: Star of the North. Boucha is the
cousin of former NHL player Gary Sargent and former minor-leaguer Earl Sargent.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Dale Craigwell who played 98 games for the Sharks between 1992 and 1994.
Why did somone say Brian Trottier? Is he a native canadian?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
Henry Boucha was a player in the 1970s of Aboriginal descent. He was a character. He wore a bandana/headband. His career ended prematurely when some guy gouged his eye in a fight (Forbes of the Bruins?)
It was Forbes, but I believe that it was a butt end,Mac. Incidentally, Boucha successfully sued Forbes for his actions, though I can't remember the details.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Henry Boucha of the North Stars ended up suing Dave Forbes of the Bruins over injuries sustained in that fight and settled for $1.5 million from the player, the Bruins and the league.

Here are some other native players that played in the NHL:

George Armstrong (Mohawk)
John Chabot, Scott Daniels, Ron Delorme (Metis), Dan Frawley (Ojibwa),
Ted Hodgson (Cree), Stan Jonathan (Mohawk), Wayne King (Ojibwa),
Dale McCourt, Reggie Leach, Vic Mercredi, Jim Neilson, Ted Nolan (Ojibwa),
Mike Peluso, Everett Sanipass (Micmac), Gary Sargent, Bobby Simpson (Mohawk),
Frank St. Marseille (Metis - Ojibwa)

jb**

svetovy poharu said:
Henry Boucha of the North Stars ended up suing Dave Forbes of the Bruins over injuries sustained in that fight and settled for $1.5 million from the player, the Bruins and the league.

Here are some other native players that played in the NHL:

George Armstrong (Mohawk)
John Chabot, Scott Daniels, Ron Delorme (Metis), Dan Frawley (Ojibwa),
Ted Hodgson (Cree), Stan Jonathan (Mohawk), Wayne King (Ojibwa),
Dale McCourt, Reggie Leach, Vic Mercredi, Jim Neilson, Ted Nolan (Ojibwa),
Mike Peluso, Everett Sanipass (Micmac), Gary Sargent, Bobby Simpson (Mohawk),
Frank St. Marseille (Metis - Ojibwa)
Craig Berube

blamebettman*

Darren Banks, had a cup of coffee with the bruins back in 1992.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Not sure, but isn't Johnny Bucyk aboriginal too? Isn't that how he got the nickname 'the Chief'?

Peter Ing is Eurasian

Larry 'King' Kwong played one game for the Rangers. He was the first Asian(might of been Eurasian actually) to play in the NHL.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Spitfire11 said:
Not sure, but isn't Johnny Bucyk aboriginal too? Isn't that how he got the nickname 'the Chief'?

Peter Ing is Eurasian

Larry 'King' Kwong played one game for the Rangers. He was the first Asian(might of been Eurasian actually) to play in the NHL.
I think Peter Ing is jewish.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
mcphee said:
My brother teaches in Brandon,Manitoba and was using hockey to get some kids to read and write a report. He got a native kid quite interested in Fred Sasakamoose's story. They actually got him on the phone and interviewed him, and later on, arranged a visit to their school. Pretty interesting guy. He can tell a few stories and educate on what he and others faced. If you'd like some data [and I'm sure they have plenty], pm me and I can put you in touch .

"mcphee has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

blamebettman*

There have been many hockey players with lappish blood, usually finns. though forsberg, a swede, looks asiatic in some pics.

alot of french canadians that have played the game probably have some kind of spanish blood as well.

monkey_00*

George "The Chief" Armstrong......Father was Scotch but his mother was Native.

Tough guy; Sandy McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad