Confirmed with Link: Minor trades | Ferriero to NYR for Chad Kolarik | Sneep to DAL for cond. draft pick

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Kolarik, 26, will report to Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL). This season, Kolarik has been one of the top players in the AHL while playing for the Connecticut Whale, earning a berth in Monday night’s AHL All-Star Classic in Providence, R.I.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Kolarik has ranked among the top scorers in the AHL all season. He currently places 13th (tied) in the scoring race with 35 points (16G-19A) in 41 games. Kolarik’s 16 goals and seven power-play tallies both lead the Whale.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652136

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired a conditional draft pick from the Dallas Stars in exchange for defenseman Carl Sneep, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652137

Lose to the Leafs, heads roll. You're on notice, everyone!

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens_Money.gif

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That's a Conditional 1st, right? If Sneep makes the team and scores at least 10 points and 50 hits this season? :sarcasm:

BTW that GIF never gets old. :thumbu:

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
That's a Conditional 1st, right? If Sneep makes the team and scores at least 10 points and 50 hits this season? :sarcasm:

He's averaging a point per game in his NHL career! It's a lock!

That conditional pick will probably turn into Jamie Benn's rights before you know it. Praise be to Sneep.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA

Conditional 1st: if Sneep remains a minor-leaguer this season, they get a 1st. if Sneep becomes an NHL regular, the Pens instead get a 0th round pick. that means that they have free pursuit of any draftable players before the draft... :sarcasm:

seriously though, i'd be surprised if it were anything more than a 6th rounder, and even that's being generous.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Rangers fan coming in peace

Just curious as to the scouting report of the Boston College alum Ferriero. What's his game? Any chance he can contribute in the NHL?

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Rangers fan coming in peace

Just curious as to the scouting report of the Boston College alum Ferriero. What's his game? Any chance he can contribute in the NHL?

he probably can, but he hasn't played for the NHL team here. i haven't really been scouting him in the AHL either since i don't get the WBS games here on my dorm cable.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Conditional 1st: if Sneep remains a minor-leaguer this season, they get a 1st. if Sneep becomes an NHL regular, the Pens instead get a 0th round pick. that means that they have free pursuit of any draftable players before the draft... :sarcasm:

seriously though, i'd be surprised if it were anything more than a 6th rounder, and even that's being generous.

It's a conditional 7th round pick.

EDIT: We only get the pick if he plays 10 or more regular season games in Dallas.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=13222&navid=nhl:topheads

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think Ferriero can be serviceable when/if he's called up. Wouldn't count on him sticking, but he won't be a train wreck when he's in the lineup.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The Sneep move was probably just to make space for another NHL contract. They really got nothing for him. It's very unlikely he will play 10 games for Dallas. Possibly opening up a contract spot for Eaton? I expect Shero has more moves up his sleeve.

Last edited:

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I love how the ESPN New York reporter has to cite anonymous sources for the Kolarik/Ferriero trade -- a full half-hour after the team already announced it on its official web site.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Rangers have traded Chad Kolarik to Pittsburgh in exchange for Benn Ferriero, multiple sources confirm

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
But....but....Shero sucks.

He got nothing for Strait.....wasted 3rd round pick

And now....

He got a conditional 7th for a 2nd round pick.

Geeeeeeeez how does this guy still have a job?!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Sneep move was probably just to make space for another NHL contract. They really got nothing for him. It's very unlikely he will play 10 games for Dallas. I expect Shero has more moves up his sleeve.

Adam Eaton most likely. Which I don't understand, but whatever.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It's a conditional 7th round pick.

EDIT: We only get the pick if he plays 10 or more regular season games in Dallas.

Hey I was close.... 10 games, 10 points, it's all the same.

I love how the ESPN New York reporter has to cite anonymous sources for the Kolarik/Ferriero trade -- a full half-hour after the team already announced it on its official web site.

"That's why E-S-P-N Hockey spells quality!"

bob-enzyte-02-180.jpg

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
How did we not manage to get a 7th round pick for sneep? or at least another close to bust prospect?? jesus, giving assetrs away for free seems to happen a lot here lately.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
How did we not manage to get a 7th round pick for sneep? or at least another close to bust prospect?? jesus, giving assetrs away for free seems to happen a lot here lately.

Sarcasm?

Sneep shouldn't even be considered an "asset". He held no value, and basically took up a contract spot.

And what's the % of players picked in the 7th round that turn out to be NHL regulars? Not like even if we get that 7th there's a chance we gain an asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad