Minor Pro Salaries

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Teams must file paperwork with the league proving injury to add players to injured reserve. They have two days to take a player off IR that has been medically cleared to play. Players on IR are allowed to practice if they are medically cleared to practice.

Reactions: royals119 and JMCx4

Growler

May 16, 2018
They get paid, but they don't count toward the cap. Only the 20 man roster counts toward the cap (18 active, plus two scratches, if the team has a full roster). It used to be that the player had to sign a statement saying he was injured to go on IR. Of course after the first two days of camp everyone is "injured", so it was regularly abused. I think that is why they just call it a "reserve" list now. They basically acknowledged that you don't have to be injured. Royals used to have an assistant coach that they paid as a player. He would go in IR on cutdown day in October, and stay there until the end of the season. They did it for I think three years. It just worked out better for everyone concerned to have him on the union insurance and give him player housing instead of treating him as a member of the office staff.
thanks I figured as much. Because with the Growlers there are guys on Reserve, but also IR and some guys have been on the IR for much of the year, but they're not injured.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Who for the Growlers has been on IR for "much of the year" but isn't injured?
Several guys. Mizyurin, Nekolenko, Skirving etc. - they move on and off the IR to reserve but hardly played. I figure this is pretty common. If you look around the ECHL most rosters have 25, 26, 27, 28 (Kalamazoo) players on the roster right now. Those guys aren't all injured. No way.

Last edited:

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Who pays the players salaries in the ECHL during the playoffs? I'm presuming each team continues to pay that, but I wondered if perhaps the league took that over.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
There also is, or at least used to be, a bonus system. Winner gets more than loser for each round. Each team used to contribute $2 per ticket to the bonus pool, which I think the league administered. It may have changed, that was what I was told by a team employee a number of years ago.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
I was curious if there was a bonus for the players that made the playoffs, thanks for the info, Royals. I am also curious if there is a significant bonus for the players on the team that wins the Kelly Cup?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
There also is, or at least used to be, a bonus system. Winner gets more than loser for each round. Each team used to contribute $2 per ticket to the bonus pool, which I think the league administered. It may have changed, that was what I was told by a team employee a number of years ago.

There still is. I haven't seen the new CBA so I don't know if there are any changes since the last one.

TSK1020

hopeful someone would know off the cuff roughly... since ECHL is %100 that is an easy find (my bad). Trying to find that inflection point amonst NA minor leagues for 1y contracts. Might not be a quick number I could Google and get without sifting through many words which make my head explode as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
hopeful someone would know off the cuff roughly... since ECHL is %100 that is an easy find (my bad). Trying to find that inflection point amonst NA minor leagues for 1y contracts. Might not be a quick number I could Google and get without sifting through many words which make my head explode as is.
For a rough order answer, you could peruse @Booba's handy list in the 2021-2022 AHL Contracts thread.

Reactions: Booba

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
As JMCx4 said, there is a thread in the AHL forum listing all players on AHL contracts, and the individual posts usually specify multi-year contracts. Off hand, from reading those threads over the years I would estimate 10-20% of AHL contracts are multi year. Most of those are two years. Rarely is there a 3 year contract (like maybe one a year or less for the league), and I've never seen one more than 3 years. Of course lots of players in the AHL are on NHL contracts, usually ELC's, which are usually 3 years. Also lots of players in the AHL are on PTO contracts, which are 25 games, but can be renewed for another 25 games.

Reactions: JMCx4

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Danbury's over the cap issues run a bit deeper than that. Players and their wives were on the payroll rosters of other businesses the Trashers owners operated as a means ti circumvent the UHL cap. While the 'perks' are taxable and should be included on the player's W-2, the Trashers are in trouble because they got caught up in the Federal investigation. If one was able to audit other minor hockey owner's businesses all at once, they might uncover the same issues.

I saw a doc about this on cable TV. Danbury seemed to break every rule that the UHL had. Their owner acted like Tony Soprano and he seemed to like doing business that way. I doubt that any other US minor league hockey team was or is run that way.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I saw a doc about this on cable TV. Danbury seemed to break every rule that the UHL had. Their owner acted like Tony Soprano and he seemed to like doing business that way. I doubt that any other US minor league hockey team was or is run that way.
There certainly were - and still are - classier ways for minor pro hockey team owners/GMs to skirt League financial rules. Human nature is not suspended in hockey.

WOSHLFAN123

Dec 16, 2022
Confirmed payouts via friend who is a player for a team in the minor or "semi pro" league The WOSHL (Canadian elite senior semi pro league in Ontario)

*PLEASE NOTE ONLY TOP TEAMS IN THIS LEAGUE PAY THERE PLAYERS ON REGULAR BASIS*

Former Pro players on top woshl teams (NHL and below) - up to $1500 monthly
Former high end junior players (CHL, OJHL) - $300-$500 monthly
Former junior player (Jr.B, Jr.C) (only applicable to a few teams such as tillsonburg and tilbury) - max $400 monthly

teams such as delhi, plattsville and alvinston do not pay on a regular basis. and teams such as Elora, Tillsonburg, Tillbury and Strathroy pay players the highest amounts and have some very elite players.

if I was to compare the WOSHL current top team (Tillsonburg) to an american pro league... you could argue Tillsonburg could compete in the SPHL quite comfortably.

source; not a good one but my best buddy is on the elora rocks and has the inside scoop on the league

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If you're signed to an NHL contact, you don't have an AHL contact. If you're referring to your minor league salary, you're paid whatever is in your contract. If it's a one-way contract, you're paid the same regardless of where you pay. If it's a two-way, you have your NHL money if you're in the NHL or your minor leagues amount if in the minors (regardless of level). I don't even think they're a thing anymore but there used to be three-way contracts.

You do have guys on AHL two-way deals where they get one rate of pay in the A and another in the Coast.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->