Minor Pro Salaries

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Thanks..

But, can you range the quality of those legues..

Actually, I think you mean $$ quantity (amount).

As players can be loaned to minor leagues, I've grouped by league contract type, which may differ greatly from what they actually earn.

For 2010-2011
$500k-$11.88mm (Max is 20% of salary cap)
Players on NHL contracts with two-way deals usually earn $105k and less if playing in the minors (AHL, ECHL).

The other leagues rarely announce salaries, so without players/agents/teams announcing their salaries, it's hard/impossible to know.

AHL contracts - my guess is $50-200k. There is no max.

ECHL contracts - my guess is that most salaries are in the $50-75k range; there is a cap, but I don't recall the limit off the top of my head (and NHL/AHL contracts count at a flat max rate).

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

As players can be loaned to minor leagues, I've grouped by league contract type, which may differ greatly from what they actually earn.

For 2010-2011
Players on NHL contracts with two-way deals usually earn $105k and less if playing in the minors (AHL, ECHL).

The other leagues rarely announce salaries, so without players/agents/teams announcing their salaries, it's hard/impossible to know.

ECHL contracts - my guess is that most salaries are in the $50-75k range; there is a cap, but I don't recall the limit off the top of my head (and NHL/AHL contracts count at a flat max rate).

The ECHL salary cap is $12,000/week. Minimum weekly salary is $370. ECHL rosters have 20 active players.

roki

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks, I was axpected a bit more money for the players of lower leagues(sphl, chl/ihl..). So, average players have maybe 2000-2500$ per month. It is a lower than average salary in America. So, why they playing hockey when there is no money in lower leagues, are they have a time to work a regular job and playing hockey or just they play hockey..

Please, can somebody rang the leagues by the QUALITY-not on salary.(including all leagues, pro, amateur, Ncaa, Cis, junior..).I would like to know at least 10 level of leagues..

1.NHL
2.AHL
3.ECHL
4.CHL/IHL
5.SPHL
10...????

Thanks..:help:

Last edited:

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
It gets very tough to rank the quality after the AHL because they don't play each other and have very different styles of play but I'll give you my opinion anyway:

1)NHL
2)AHL
3)ECHL
4)US College
5 to 8)Major Juniors (the Q the W the OHL and USHL is gaining quality as well)
9)CHL which just took over the IHL as well
10)Can university
11 to about 15) the merky waters of the very poor minor pro leagues like the LNAH, the AAHL and even some senior leagues are quite competitive like the Allen cup finalists.

This new FHL I know nothing about but I think they are a small step down from the CHL.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Thanks, I was axpected a bit more money for the players of lower leagues(sphl, chl/ihl..). So, average players have maybe 2000-2500$ per month. It is a lower than average salary in America. So, why they playing hockey when there is no money in lower leagues, are they have a time to work a regular job and playing hockey or just they play hockey..

Please, can somebody rang the leagues by the QUALITY-not on salary.(including all leagues, pro, amateur, Ncaa, Cis, junior..).I would like to know at least 10 level of leagues..

1.NHL
2.AHL
3.ECHL
4.CHL/IHL
5.SPHL
10...????

Thanks..:help:

It's difficult to just rank them in a list by talent. There are so many differences between the leagues that you aren't really comparing apples for apples. The ECHL for example is made up of younger players mostly on a track upward. There is a maximum # of veteren players that they can have on their rosters. The CHL is where many ECHL vets go because there is no room for them in the ECHL anymore. They can still play and would do very well in the ECHL if they played head to head.

I would rank them by their importance to the NHL (farm teams, drafting pools, etc...) and not by talent if they were to play each other:

#1 NHL

#2 AHL AAA Level NHL affiliated

#3 ECHL AA level NHL affiliated (teams have 3 or 4 NHL prospects sent there for more playing time than they would get at the AHL level)

#4-#6 Canadian Major Juniors (I put them together because people differ on which one is better) #1 drafting pool for the NHL

#7 U.S. College #2 drafting pool for the NHL

#8 CHL/IHL Very few guys with any NHL/AHL ties.

#9 USHL Up and coming U.S. Junior League. (I believe only 2 or 3 players have advanced to the NHL but the league is growing)

There are some other minor pro leagues like the SPHL, LNAH, and FHL but they really are just a place to play if you don't want to get a real job.
You can also go all through the different junior leagues but they are just kids trying to attract the attention of higher leagues.

As for your other question. The salaries for the AA minor players is only for a job that lasts 6-7 months and their housing is paid for. Most of the guys that I know of in the ECHL at least have summer jobs if they need them. Some I know sell insurance, work at golf courses and one I know has a landscape company which is mostly a summertime gig. They love to play and can still pay the bills so they keep going.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
#9 USHL Up and coming U.S. Junior League. (I believe only 2 or 3 players have advanced to the NHL but the league is growing)

Few players jump from the USHL directly to the NHL. The USHL is like a feeder league to the NCAA. Lots of players in the NHL from the USHL, with college in between. (There a few players right now on the Sharks depth chart that meet this qualification, including Joe Pavelski.)

The NAHL (development league) I think is below the Canadian Junior leagues and USHL. Below that are all the junior B leagues.

Some of the New England high school leagues are probably on par with the NAHL, a bit below the USHL/Canadian junior.

(It's really hard to qualify-rank some of these as the skills/abilities often increase with age.)

roki

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks very much for your answers, I know that it is diffucult to level the leagues, but you tried... thanks...:handclap::handclap::handclap:
Now I know a much more about quality of leagues and quality of players who is coming to Europe...

...."They love to play and can still pay the bills so they keep going."...

This is true love..;)

I really didnt know that in America their is still lot of players who just playing for love and nothing else...i was thinking that this is possible only in lower and amateur european leagues..

So now I know why a lot of good players from North America is still coming to Europe and play for relatively little money...

Last edited:

PuckHogs29

Jul 6, 2010
NJ
It gets very tough to rank the quality after the AHL because they don't play each other and have very different styles of play but I'll give you my opinion anyway:

1)NHL
2)AHL
3)ECHL
4)US College
5 to 8)Major Juniors (the Q the W the OHL and USHL is gaining quality as well)
9)CHL which just took over the IHL as well
10)Can university
11 to about 15) the merky waters of the very poor minor pro leagues like the LNAH, the AAHL and even some senior leagues are quite competitive like the Allen cup finalists.

This new FHL I know nothing about but I think they are a small step down from the CHL.

The FHL is going to be on par with the rest of the barely pro/semi-pro leagues like the AAHL and defunct leagues like the EPHL and MAHL.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

For 2010-2011

There is no max so the NHL can stash players in the AHL. A typical two way NHL / AHL contract might be $600K / $100K. The AHL does have some minimum, it used to be $300 a game (about $25K a season), but that was several years ago. The average is probably is in the $50-$60K range or about $2K a week or a million dollars a year salary per AHL team. There is no AHL salary cap. NHL players can't be sent down below the AHL level. If they have a one way deal, the NHL team keeps paying the salary, i.e. $600K.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
There is no max so the NHL can stash players in the AHL. A typical two way NHL / AHL contract might be $600K / $100K. The AHL does have some minimum, it used to be $300 a game (about $25K a season), but that was several years ago. The average is probably is in the $50-$60K range or about $2K a week or a million dollars a year salary per AHL team. There is no AHL salary cap. NHL players can't be sent down below the AHL level. If they have a one way deal, the NHL team keeps paying the salary, i.e. $600K.

Just to add to your post....

This:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703408604576164700332602230.html

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV

One little flaw there: Teams certainly can send a player on a one-way deal to the ECHL if he is performing poorly. Will they want that kind of cash down in the ECHL, no but it's possible. However, if they sent him to the CHL he could just say, "screw it, I'm not going." NHL contracted players can be sent to a league outside of those recognized by the CBA (AHL, ECHL) but they do not have to report.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This topic has actually been pretty interesting to read, especially the older posts. I was kind of wondering the same thing recently, as the Express have started signing players while flat out saying that they weren't going to disclose their salaries as per team policy.

And WSJ article was especially interesting. Almost feel bad for the players stuck in the AHL, but being a millionaire to play minor league hockey ain't exactly something to shed tears over.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This topic has actually been pretty interesting to read, especially the older posts. I was kind of wondering the same thing recently, as the Express have started signing players while flat out saying that they weren't going to disclose their salaries as per team policy.

And WSJ article was especially interesting. Almost feel bad for the players stuck in the AHL, but being a millionaire to play minor league hockey ain't exactly something to shed tears over.

Don't worry, it's Martinson. He is from the UHL and old WCHL. He'll likely find a way to cheat the cap. I like Martinson, I really do. He is a nice guy and a good coach but I don't have any doubts that he's not smart enough for loopholes.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
One little flaw there: Teams certainly can send a player on a one-way deal to the ECHL if he is performing poorly. Will they want that kind of cash down in the ECHL, no but it's possible. However, if they sent him to the CHL he could just say, "screw it, I'm not going." NHL contracted players can be sent to a league outside of those recognized by the CBA (AHL, ECHL) but they do not have to report.

OK, just some clarification....

NHL deals: ELS (entry level system) contracts are by definition "two-way" (meaning that the player earns less in AHL/minors than in NHL) AND teams can assign the player to the ECHL. SPC (standard player contracts) post-ELS can be one-way (same salary, regardless of league) or two-way; however, a player cannot be assigned to ECHL without permission/agreement. (Won't get into loans to Europe, but that's similar to ECHL.) AIUI, the $$ hit against ECHL cap is the "max" (which may be under what the player is actually paid, say if they're on a one-way deal).

(And you can add CHL in paragraph above.)

billycanuck

OK, just some clarification....

NHL deals: ELS (entry level system) contracts are by definition "two-way" (meaning that the player earns less in AHL/minors than in NHL) AND teams can assign the player to the ECHL. SPC (standard player contracts) post-ELS can be one-way (same salary, regardless of league) or two-way; however, a player cannot be assigned to ECHL without permission/agreement. (Won't get into loans to Europe, but that's similar to ECHL.) AIUI, the $$ hit against ECHL cap is the "max" (which may be under what the player is actually paid, say if they're on a one-way deal).

(And you can add CHL in paragraph above.)
My buddy told me this (who had a EL contract) so correct me if I am wrong:

Also, Entry Level contracts for Canadian Hockey League players stipulate that they cannot be sent to the AHL/ECHL/CHL and can only return to their major junior club if they do not stay on with the NHL club.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My buddy told me this (who had a EL contract) so correct me if I am wrong:

Also, Entry Level contracts for Canadian Hockey League players stipulate that they cannot be sent to the AHL/ECHL/CHL and can only return to their major junior club if they do not stay on with the NHL club.

Canadian Major Junior players who are 18 or 19 and don't make NHL have to return to their junior club (& contract slides if 10 or fewer NHL RS games played). (Europeans or ex-Collegians who don't make the NHL squad can be assigned to AHL team; Europeans can also be returned overseas. Not sure about ECHL or CHL.)

Major junior players who are 20 have the option (NHL club's discretion AIUI) to return to CHL as overager (contract year burned) OR be assigned to AHL (et al).

billycanuck

Canadian Major Junior players who are 18 or 19 and don't make NHL have to return to their junior club (& contract slides if 10 or fewer NHL RS games played). (Europeans or ex-Collegians who don't make the NHL squad can be assigned to AHL team; Europeans can also be returned overseas. Not sure about ECHL or CHL.)

Major junior players who are 20 have the option (NHL club's discretion AIUI) to return to CHL as overager (contract year burned) OR be assigned to AHL (et al).

Awesome, thanks! I knew it was something like that but didn't know the exact rule.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Who is paying the contracts? If an NHL team assigns some player from the AHL to the ECHL, is the AHL team still required to pay his contract?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Who is paying the contracts? If an NHL team assigns some player from the AHL to the ECHL, is the AHL team still required to pay his contract?

NHL contracts are paid by the NHL team, regardless of the league the player is playing in.

(If a player is on an AHL deal, the AHL team has to pay)

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Salaries in The CHL

I know this is slightly OT, since it's not The NHL, but i could nmot find a better fit for my question.
A Norwegian D man named, Henrik Odegaard http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16328
was signed to an AHL contract with The Chicago Wolves, but after only one game played he was loaned to the CHL team Missouri Maveric
What I wounder is, since TheCHL is listed as an professional league, how much does the average player get paid there?
Can a 26 year old foreigner expect to make a living from a salary from The CHL?
IMO it was bad decision to sign an AHL contract at al at that age. Has it been a ELC or a university team(if he was younger), the story could have been different.

Mods, feel free to move the tread to another place that is more suitable

Jun 15, 2007
CHL players make a minimum of $425 a week last I checked. Housing and some food expenses are covered.

This would be roughly equivalent to working 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job such as McDonalds. Note that this isn't Norway where minimum wage can provide a relatively reasonable lifestyle. So yes, you won't starve but it's not a comfortable living if you have dependents.

Obviously the better players will get paid more.

You will only get paid your salary during the season so during the summer most players have to find another job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad