Minor Pro Salaries

AtlantaGirl

Nov 2, 2006
OK, I hate to be a non-believer here but players paying their own airfare??? .:dunno: Nowhere in all that we read last year about the woos of getting to Alaska was there any mention of players having to pay their own way. I find that hard to believe. I do think most of the guys do OK with the money they are paid.

Why would I make that up?? The Glads usually bus to away games.. if you read old articles about the troubles getting to alaska you will read that they found out in the middle of the night that they were going so it was more or less a scramble. They did in fact have to pay their own flight and they made sure different lines were on different flights to insure they had AT LEAST enough players to play if anything were to happen to any of the flights..

hockeynut47

Mar 28, 2006
Atlanta GA
No where did I say you made that up!!!! I just said it was hard to believe??:shakehead In all the articles that were written nothing was said about players paying their own way. I guess anything is possible. I do know there were all kinds of rumors floating around about the travel situation. Hopefully this year when we make the Kelly Cup Finals it will be closer. :yo:

icerfan

Jan 3, 2006
They did in fact have to pay their own flight

Uh, no. The organization paid for their travel. Some people might've bought themselves seat upgrades or something, but the team (not the players themselves) footed the bill for the trip.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
So how would the minor-pro leagues rank in terms of salaries?

There is an ECHL article currently on nhl.com about Brett Lutes, and it is mentioned that one of the reasons he left for the UHL was because he was offered more money.

UHL > ECHL > CHL > SPHL?
Where would the LNAH fit in there?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Just because one player is offered more money by one team in another league, doesn't mean that the league salaries are in general higher in that league.

NoGoal9932

Jan 3, 2006
Little River, SC
SPHL Salaries

Hey guys, I did a search. I came across the ECHL/UHL thread. However I was wondering how much players make in the SPHL? Just a general ballpark.

Thanks guys.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
My friend plays in the SPHL. Says he gets about $200 a week.

I hope that is what he nets after withholding, meals, housing, and other payments are taken off his gross pay.

$200 * 52 weeks = $10,400 just to throw a number out there.

Assuming a hockey season is 27 weeks in length that is just $5,400.

Unless he's on a try-out (temporary) contract, then I could see it.

A league with $300,000 cap with a 30-week season (for simplicity's sake) has a $10,000 weekly cap to pay 18-22 players assuming no player movement - about $450-$550 per player per week. Some players earn more than others, and others still are on short-term, 5-game or whatever try-out contracts. So, $200 is not totally out of the question for a fill-in type guy.

Last edited:

Hockeydude1983

Mar 8, 2007
For info, this is what i wrote in another forum on a question about some of the Quebec leagues...

Note that all money figures are in canadian $$.
No the LNAH and the LHSP are not related.

The LHSP (Ligue de Hockey Senior Promutuel) is one level below the LCH (Ligue Central de Hockey). Thought both of these leagues caliber of play went up by a good notch this season. The LHSP caliber of play is somewhat comparable to the LHSNEQ (Ligue de Hockey Senior Nord-Est du Quebec) and the LHSEQ (Ligue de Hockey Senior de l Est du Quebec).

There use to be 3 top level leagues: LNAH (the best one), the LHSP (Ligue de Hockey Senior Provincial) and the LCH.

Last year, the LNAH had 9 teams, the LHSP (Provincial) had 8 teams and the LCH had 9 teams. Thats a total of 26 teams.

This year, the LNAH has 8 teams, the whole LHSP (Provincial) folded, and the LCH has 8 teams. Thats a total of 16 teams.

Therefore the caliber of play and budget of the LCH teams increased by a notch. The LCH is very close in term of caliber of play to the LNAH. But the LNAH is still better. Because lots of teams folded, there was a trickle down effect... so good players ended up in the LHSP (Promutual)... which resulted in the league s teams having too much of a gap inbetween each other in terms of budget. 3-4 teams have lots of money and can afford to pay good players, while the other teams can t. Therefore there is often blowouts when a rich team plays a poor team. For example, Cowansville average attendance is something like 1300-1400 fans per game... One game they had 2500 in attendance, which is more than the total of 2-3 other teams season total attendance.

Just to give a rough idea on salaries... the LNAH is the only official pro league (salaries are declared). They have a weekly pay roll of 16000$ (went down from 25000$) for a 19 man roster. Salaries range inbetween 500$ and 1500$ (not accurate) per week. Most players get money that counts toward the cap and they also get money under the table. ie: someone might get a 800$ cheque that counts towards the cap and another 300 cash (not in the books) per week.

The LCH works with a per game salary. Some teams declare salaries and some don t. Salries range inbetween 175$ and 800$+ per game. The average being around 250-400$ per game.

The LHSP (Promutual) also works with a per game salary. Salaries range inbetween 50$ and 300$+ per game. The average being aroud 100-175$ per game.

There is also other advantages to consider... for example, the LNAH will pay appartments to players that need one. For some players they will also pay for there travelling to bring them in and retirn them home, they will provide a car and pay for gas bills.... most of them also pay gas bills for all players for their travel expense if they have to drive to games. I would guess at around 50% the number of players having another job than hockey. It can be quite good money to work full time and play in the LNAH.

Only very few players in the LCH have appartment paid. Teams usualy pay the players their gas expense to travel to games, or they will rent cars for the players for the week end. The more isolated teams often have 90% of their roster from outside the area, therefore they will also pay hotel rooms for the week end.

theD

Jul 6, 2005
In the ECHL, players with a NHL contract have a $500 per week

amount towards the $10,000 team cap. That is not what they

earn! Not by a long shot. Many are making big bucks!

Trust me on this...

Plus, free housing, heat, cable, travel, food, cars, etc.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
In the ECHL, players with a NHL contract have a $500 per week

amount towards the $10,000 team cap. That is not what they

earn! Not by a long shot. Many are making big bucks!

Trust me on this...

Plus, free housing, heat, cable, travel, food, cars, etc.

Not exactly true. When you say "many" your misleading your audience. Thre are players who have connections in Canada and Europe and can use that as leverage when semi-pro US circuits try and sign them. THESE players have gotten unde the table incentives to play in the ECHL and the CHL. Younger guys who are still developing a resume and a game keep their noses clean and gladly take whatever they get for $$$ just to cling onto the hockey radar. Top scorers and top fighters get the best "extras" everyone else is there to fill a sweater and they don't get much money.
IMO The semi-pro network in the USA TAKES ADVANTADGE of the fact that there is a surplus of players here in Canada who would play the game if their weekly pay was a pizza voucher and a kick in the junk.
That will change. Alberta and BC have "people who know people" and there is a movement to create a "pro type scenario" up here to get some of our players back home. Not saying it will come to fruition right away but...

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
What is the salary cap in the ECHL?

The weekly salary cap for 2007-08 is $11,200 and the weekly salary floor is $8,200.

What is the minimum salary for an ECHL player?

Teams are required in 2007-08 to pay rookie players a minimum salary of $340 per week and returning players a minimum salary of $375 per week. A returning player is classified as a player who appeared on a team’s season-ending or playoff roster or who has played in 25 or more professional hockey games.

Anyone know how you could try-out...get to the ECHL or any of these other leagues?
Besides NCAA etc experience..?

minorlife

Mar 26, 2008
michigan-armpit
if you dont have an agent, the only hope is to pay to go to a try out and win a spot to a main camp. once in main camp your odds are long based upon the recruiting teams do for college graduates and players finishing juniors.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Most teams in the ECHL don't even have tryouts, and those that do rarely actually have a player make the opening night roster. I would think the better option would be to try and get signed by one of the lower level leagues (SPHL, MAHL, NEHL, etc) and if you are good enough to dominate at that level one of the ECHL teams will eventually sign you as a fill in when they get shorthanded - and if you are good enough someone else will pick you up when that first team gets their original players back. I've seen a few guys end up sticking in the ECHL taking that route, but I can't remember seeing a player who didn't play college or junior hockey at a fairly high level being signed directly to the ECHL - even the best players in Division 3 college programs have trouble making it in the ECHL.

RockyMtnPantherFan

Apr 4, 2007
Gainesville, FL
What is the salary cap in the ECHL?

The weekly salary cap for 2007-08 is $11,200 and the weekly salary floor is $8,200.

What is the minimum salary for an ECHL player?

Teams are required in 2007-08 to pay rookie players a minimum salary of $340 per week and returning players a minimum salary of $375 per week. A returning player is classified as a player who appeared on a team’s season-ending or playoff roster or who has played in 25 or more professional hockey games.

Anyone know how you could try-out...get to the ECHL or any of these other leagues?
Besides NCAA etc experience..?

I'm aware of one person who worked in the front office of a CHL team and had some experience playing club hockey in college - when the team he worked for grew kind of thin at one position owing to injury, he was signed by the team to serve as a reserve - this happened twice during one season - AFAIK he never saw any actual ice time but got dressed for the games, practiced with the team, traveled with the team, etc. - he was only to be used in case of dire emergency!

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
So how would the minor-pro leagues rank in terms of salaries?

There is an ECHL article currently on nhl.com about Brett Lutes, and it is mentioned that one of the reasons he left for the UHL was because he was offered more money.

UHL > ECHL > CHL > SPHL?
Where would the LNAH fit in there?

AHL > ECHL > CHL > UHL/IHL> SPHL

I had a buddie play last year in the IHL/UHL and made 1k a week. Agian there is alot of cap abuse in that league since the team he plays for pretty much runs the league.

Didnt think that was too bad of money but he went to play in europe this year.

JnglstTICAL

Apr 2, 2009
Looking at some of the rosters on AAHA teams, it doesn't seem like they are all THAT young. I see a lot of mid-late 20's. With that said, are they allowed to have "other" or part-time jobs in the spare time to make up for the low income they are pulling on? Just curious.

roki

Jul 7, 2010
Minor league salary ranges

Hello...

I dont know where to put my question, so I will put here...

I really wont to know the quality(rang) of all North American ice hockey leagues(including all leagues with NCAA,CIS, junior leauges, pro minor,semi pro, amateur......), and if it is possible to write if someone who knows what kind of money have the average players of this leagues( behind NHL)...

1.NHL
2.AHL
3.ECHL
4.....?
5...?
6....?
7....?
8....?

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NCAA, CIS, USNDTP, etc., are "amateur" leagues, so the players get no salary per se.

CHL (Canadian Major Juniors) and USHL and other junior leagues have little $$ paid to players (more like a little $$ to cover a little entertainment).

CHL (Central), SPHL, etc., probably follow the ECHL.

Senior leagues and other adult leagues don't have much in the way of salary, if any. More like playing for fun.

roki

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks..

But, can you range the quality of those legues..

1.NHL
2.AHL
3.ECHL
4.CHL
5.SPHL

and what with others leagues..

And when you say little, is it houndreads, or thousends $$$$ per month

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad