Minor Pro Salaries

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What is considered a good player salary in the ECHL? What type of money can some of the better players earn?

When you consider that the salary cap in the league is $10,000/wk, I'd be surprised if players earned more than $1200/week, and that would be for the very top players. I hazard an educated guess (based on my knowledge of the CEntral League) that the better class of players would be on $750-1000/week.

edmsnipers42

Oct 22, 2005
Is there anywhere that a person can find out exactly what these minor league players in the ECHL, CHL, UHL, SPHL, etc. are actually making in a year??? :dunno:

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
When you consider that the salary cap in the league is $10,000/wk, I'd be surprised if players earned more than $1200/week, and that would be for the very top players. I hazard an educated guess (based on my knowledge of the CEntral League) that the better class of players would be on $750-1000/week.
Is that salary cap only for the players that are signed to the ECHL team or does it also include the salaries of players that have contracts with NHL teams?

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Is that salary cap only for the players that are signed to the ECHL team or does it also include the salaries of players that have contracts with NHL teams?
It includes everyone, but the NHL and AHL-contracted players count a set amount -- $500 per week.

Top-end players in the ECHL make about $850 a week, rookies can make as little as like $350.

There is no disclosure by player like in the NHLPA, no.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Is there anywhere that a person can find out exactly what these minor league players in the ECHL, CHL, UHL, SPHL, etc. are actually making in a year??? :dunno:

Holly's right, there is no disclosure of salaries like with the NHL, and the information is sometimes hard to come by unless you know someone. In the Central League, the minimum is $325/wk, whiich is usually for rookies/developmental players. Given the limited range of what these teams can actually pay, it's not too hard to figure out ballpark figures on salaries. The CHL also has a $450/wk cap exemption for player/coaches, so that allows them to pay guys a bit more: Jeff Christian of Youngstown is an example of a player who is almost certainly in 4 figures because of that. The UHL no longer has a player/coach exemption, and I'm not sure whether the ECHL does anything similar.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
What is considered a good player salary in the ECHL? What type of money can some of the better players earn?

I have an acquaintance who played one year in the East coast league. He said the cap is circumvented by players having second 'jobs' at the owner's other businesses, free meals and booze in bars, etc, etc.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I have an acquaintance who played one year in the East coast league. He said the cap is circumvented by players having second 'jobs' at the owner's other businesses, free meals and booze in bars, etc, etc.

Sure, but I would be more interested in the true salaries for analytical purposes.

As to your point, this reinforces the notion that many, if not most, teams do this and that Danbury(UHL) was the team that got pinched when they got caught up in the investigation of the owner's other assets/businesses. However, there are some players, those hovering around the minimum I would imagine, that might have some other 'legit' jobs. A guy I knew played in the mid-90's (might have been pre-cap days back then) with a minor pro team and also doubled as an assistant rink manager/maintenance guy for more money, he learned some front office duties while out with injury and stuck around. Rather than a player/coach he was a player/ticket taker/sales rep. Worked out for him in his post-playing career.

Last edited:

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Certain "perks" have always been part of the minor leage landscape. Housing allowances, cars, and certain other things have been okayed uder the views of the leagues. Danbury's people are in trouble because they didn't report their perks as taxable income (which it is), among other things.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Certain "perks" have always been part of the minor leage landscape. Housing allowances, cars, and certain other things have been okayed uder the views of the leagues. Danbury's people are in trouble because they didn't report their perks as taxable income (which it is), among other things.
Danbury's over the cap issues run a bit deeper than that. Players and their wives were on the payroll rosters of other businesses the Trashers owners operated as a means ti circumvent the UHL cap. While the 'perks' are taxable and should be included on the player's W-2, the Trashers are in trouble because they got caught up in the Federal investigation. If one was able to audit other minor hockey owner's businesses all at once, they might uncover the same issues.

2x4*

It includes everyone, but the NHL and AHL-contracted players count a set amount -- $500 per week.

Top-end players in the ECHL make about $850 a week, rookies can make as little as like $350.

There is no disclosure by player like in the NHLPA, no.

$350 a week... how can these dudes afford to live off that?

Wranglers110

Dec 20, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Given the veteran limit in the ECHL, most ECHL players are in their early 20s and are ex-college or junior players looking to squeeze out another year or two out of their hockey life. If you're 23 years old, $350/week to play hockey isn't that bad.

Many players who leave the ECHL do it because they're getting older and to get "real" jobs.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
$350 a week... how can these dudes afford to live off that?
What is their "rent" situation? If they aren't veterans, the players most likely aren't establishing a residence in the area they play. Also, is there some sort of meals allowance or per diem? Or must they wait until tax time to claim that?

If a 23-year old has cheap rent, and receives a meals allowance, they may be able to stretch that $250-$275 per week take-home a bit.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What is their "rent" situation? If they aren't veterans, the players most likely aren't establishing a residence in the area they play. Also, is there some sort of meals allowance or per diem? Or must they wait until tax time to claim that?

If a 23-year old has cheap rent, and receives a meals allowance, they may be able to stretch that $250-$275 per week take-home a bit.

As I understand it (at least insofar as the Central League works) players are given housing- clubs usually rent a block of apartments for the team. So, there is one major expense taken out of the way. Per diems for meals I believe are only given on road trips, and are paid in cash up front. still, you take $350/rent + free cable, electric, gas etc. plus whatever booster clubs provide which includes household items and sometimes food, and it doesn't look so bad.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This doesn't relate to salaries, but, it does relate to the ECHL finances.

How is travel handled for a franchise like the Alaska Aces. Most of the teams in their division are in the South. With only $10K a week being spent on salaries, I imagine a road trip to Alaska for a 20-man team plus the coaching staff is going to run 2 or 3 times their payroll for that week.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This doesn't relate to salaries, but, it does relate to the ECHL finances.

How is travel handled for a franchise like the Alaska Aces. Most of the teams in their division are in the South. With only $10K a week being spent on salaries, I imagine a road trip to Alaska for a 20-man team plus the coaching staff is going to run 2 or 3 times their payroll for that week.

Teams who travel up there typically play 3 games.

Malekish

May 11, 2006
Toledo, OH
I can't imagine anyone bussing it. Flight is a major type of travel, many people have private planes and there are frequent flights between cities (at least, that's how it was explained to me, I've never been up there).

Storm is going to be there the 10th and 11th, then home for a game on the 13th, our guys are gonna be tired!

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Part of the ECHL CBA with the players is the team has to provide a furnished apartment, including utilities - although players who live locally full time can get reimbursed for the amount those apartments cost and live in their own place.

They do get per diem on the road, and sometimes team meals after games, or at practice - and of course if they make an appearance at a restaurant or bar to sign autographs and shake hands they will get a free meal there too - and if they are personable and available they could probably eat out with a fan any time they wanted. Even at $350 a week it isn't too bad for a 20 something single guy with no debts - but most teams can't support more than one or two married guys with kids without a two way contract - unless they are carrying lots of rookies to make up the difference.

imahockeymom

Sep 28, 2006
In the UHL, players are provided with a furnished apartment. Some apartments come with utilities (cable, electric, heat) included and some don't -- it depends on the apartment complex chosen by the team. If the utilities aren't included with the apartment, the players are responsible for that on their own. Booster clubs often provide incidental household equipment (dishes, pots/pans, irons, coffeemakers) that are returned to the booster club at the end of the season and loaned out again the following year.

Cash is given for per diem meals when traveling. This is non-taxable and doesn't apply to the salary cap, but it is limited. If the bus leaves before a certain time of day, they get paid for breakfast/lunch/dinner, if it leaves after a certain time, they only get lunch/dinner or dinner only. Booster clubs can also provide food for the bus and locker room. Meals or grocery allowances outside of travel are not allowed and would count towards the salary cap.

The hockey club is responsible for getting the player from their hometown to the team town at the beginning of the season, and then back home again at the end of the season. Sometimes that's a plane ticket, sometimes it's a bus ticket, sometimes it's reimbursement for gasoline receipts if the player drove their own vehicle. Vehicles are not provided to the players, and the players are responsible for their own in-town commuting expenses (they usually just carpool with each other to the rink and back, since they all live in the same apartment complex).

Sorry I don't know about other leagues, but that gives you an idea about the rules in the UHL.

dandmb50

Sep 28, 2006
Toronto, Canada
bit.ly
Always wondered how much these guys made in the minor leagues but that's pretty sad. $500 week?

What are they making in the UHL specifically the Kalamzoo Wings?

clap.gif

Daniel............Toronto

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
In the UHL, players are provided with a furnished apartment. Some apartments come with utilities (cable, electric, heat) included and some don't -- it depends on the apartment complex chosen by the team. If the utilities aren't included with the apartment, the players are responsible for that on their own. Booster clubs often provide incidental household equipment (dishes, pots/pans, irons, coffeemakers) that are returned to the booster club at the end of the season and loaned out again the following year.

Cash is given for per diem meals when traveling. This is non-taxable and doesn't apply to the salary cap, but it is limited. If the bus leaves before a certain time of day, they get paid for breakfast/lunch/dinner, if it leaves after a certain time, they only get lunch/dinner or dinner only. Booster clubs can also provide food for the bus and locker room. Meals or grocery allowances outside of travel are not allowed and would count towards the salary cap.

The hockey club is responsible for getting the player from their hometown to the team town at the beginning of the season, and then back home again at the end of the season. Sometimes that's a plane ticket, sometimes it's a bus ticket, sometimes it's reimbursement for gasoline receipts if the player drove their own vehicle. Vehicles are not provided to the players, and the players are responsible for their own in-town commuting expenses (they usually just carpool with each other to the rink and back, since they all live in the same apartment complex).

Sorry I don't know about other leagues, but that gives you an idea about the rules in the UHL.
Nice insight, are you associated with a UHL club in any way?

Regarding per diem: I am assuming the team then follows the 7/7 rule when giving a meals per diem the players. Thus the time of departure determines how much the players receive. Also, how is it that the money the team gives for per diem isn't taxable? The only way I can think of is the player must pay out of his own pocket and then the money that the team gives him is considered a reimbursment rather than the team paying for meals in addition to the player's salary. If the latter is the case then, yes, the money for meals would be taxable income.

AtlantaGirl

Nov 2, 2006
i have a friend in the echl currently.. he has not yet complained about money.. drives a decent car and goes out alot with teh boys.. i dont think he throws down like anyone in the NHL but I dont think he minds the money either.. so it cant be too bad.
The teams usually fly..sad thing is when Gwinnett made it to the playoffs last year the team didnt have enough money to send them so they all had to pay their own flight in the middle of night.. it was a disaster. I know the booster club is working harder to earn money for the team this year due to that problem.
i wish the echl had more money becuase most of the guys are great guys.. they love what they do and they dont take it for granted.. they arent making millions so you can tell that in the way they play and they way they are when they talk to you.
Its kind of cool in a way..

hockeynut47

Mar 28, 2006
Atlanta GA
i have a friend in the echl currently.. he has not yet complained about money.. drives a decent car and goes out alot with teh boys.. i dont think he throws down like anyone in the NHL but I dont think he minds the money either.. so it cant be too bad.
The teams usually fly..sad thing is when Gwinnett made it to the playoffs last year the team didnt have enough money to send them so they all had to pay their own flight in the middle of night.. it was a disaster. I know the booster club is working harder to earn money for the team this year due to that problem.
i wish the echl had more money becuase most of the guys are great guys.. they love what they do and they dont take it for granted.. they arent making millions so you can tell that in the way they play and they way they are when they talk to you.
Its kind of cool in a way..

OK, I hate to be a non-believer here but players paying their own airfare??? .:dunno: Nowhere in all that we read last year about the woos of getting to Alaska was there any mention of players having to pay their own way. I find that hard to believe. I do think most of the guys do OK with the money they are paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->