Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What the heck has gotten into Morrison. He has 21 points in 7 playoff games. Basically, wrote him off as a prospect. Hmmm.....
He's 21 playing with primarily teenagers. Over-age year. Even then he was barely point per game in the regular season. He's on a line that's gotten hot in the playoffs, but that's about it. Maybe someone gives him an AHL deal. Year over year he hasn't shown any progression since we drafted him way back when.

Reactions: Joey Bones

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Figured it was probably a fluke. Hopefully, Shesterkin can get away from his imbecile coach in the KHL soon who continues to play that never-will-be Koskinen over him in the playoffs. Koskinen is 8-0-1 but his team basically never loses anyway and his save % is .905 in the playoffs which is atrocious for the KHL. Another example of a stubborn coach who continues to play favorites. It was a mistake for Shesterkin to re-sign there. He should have gone right to the AHL.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Just listening to this game on the radio it seems as though Andersson and Chytil along with Lettieri and Schneider are leading all the offense on the team and their respective linemates are just not good enough to capitalize. Also seems like Ronning is not getting much icetime.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ronning's first game in the AHL this season.

FIRST PERIOD

Geo in the net. Lindgren and Labrie starting on defense, Lias between Ronning and Melanson up front.

Chytil with Schneider and Letieri. Fontaine, Rambo, Nieves. Salvaggio with Fogarty and Gropp are the 4th line. Bigras paired with Crawley are the top pair. Helgesen with Pedrie are the third pair.

Chytil showing off his stickhandling skills, which shine much more at this level than in the NHL, at least so far at the age of 18.

Sal with a scoring chance.

Couple of saves by Geo, one through a screen.

Fontaine drives to the net with the puck and draws a penalty as a Bird pulled him down.

Shot by Rambo with Nieves screening, stopped, but a great setup by the two.

Cousin Vinni firing away hard on the PP.

Pedrie looking good the first 5 minutes of the game. Much more confident than earlier in the season.

Sal visible in the offensive third.

Boo with a good rush, then loses the puck on offense. Same old.

Good save from up close by Geo.

Fogarty hustling hard.

Lindgren penalty.

Big save from a few feet out by Geo.

Geo left a big, juicy rebound on a save, but it's cleared.

Fogarty tries to connect with Ronning, but it turns into icing.

Lias steals the puck on offense and sets up a linemate for a shot.

Some day Chytil will be really good, but maybe not next year. I bet people will sour on him next season because he won't instantly turn into a top-6 forward as a teenager, but he's so, so much more talented than anyone on the ice in the AHL.

Penalty on Chytil for no reason. As I explained before, the AHL does charity work by hiring legally blind people as their refs. Even the Bird announcer is heard saying during the break, "that was a terrible call, wasn't a penalty by any means."

Early in the season, I mentioned that Crawley looks talented, but extremely raw. Now the rawness is less visible and he's looking better every game. He's one of the prospects worth paying attention to.

But now as I typed that, Crawley with a rookie defensive play, letting our old friend Tim Erixon blow past him.

END OF ONE

Geo looked good. Ronning was invisible.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Ronning's first game in the AHL this season.

FIRST PERIOD

Geo in the net. Lindgren and Labrie starting on defense, Lias between Ronning and Melanson up front.

Chytil with Schneider and Letieri. Fontaine, Rambo, Nieves. Salvaggio with Fogarty and Gropp are the 4th line. Bigras paired with Crawley are the top pair. Helgesen with Pedrie are the third pair.

Chytil showing off his stickhandling skills, which shine much more at this level than in the NHL, at least so far at the age of 18.

Sal with a scoring chance.

Couple of saves by Geo, one through a screen.

Fontaine drives to the net with the puck and draws a penalty as a Bird pulled him down.

Shot by Rambo with Nieves screening, stopped, but a great setup by the two.

Cousin Vinni firing away hard on the PP.

Pedrie looking good the first 5 minutes of the game. Much more confident than earlier in the season.

Sal visible in the offensive third.

Boo with a good rush, then loses the puck on offense. Same old.

Good save from up close by Geo.

Fogarty hustling hard.

Lindgren penalty.

Big save from a few feet out by Geo.

Geo left a big, juicy rebound on a save, but it's cleared.

Fogarty tries to connect with Ronning, but it turns into icing.

Lias steals the puck on offense and sets up a linemate for a shot.

Some day Chytil will be really good, but maybe not next year. I bet people will sour on him next season because he won't instantly turn into a top-6 forward as a teenager, but he's so, so much more talented than anyone on the ice in the AHL.

Penalty on Chytil for no reason. As I explained before, the AHL does charity work by hiring legally blind people as their refs. Even the Bird announcer is heard saying during the break, "that was a terrible call, wasn't a penalty by any means."

Early in the season, I mentioned that Crawley looks talented, but extremely raw. Now the rawness is less visible and he's looking better every game. He's one of the prospects worth paying attention to.

But now as I typed that, Crawley with a rookie defensive play, letting our old friend Tim Erixon blow past him.

END OF ONE

Geo looked good. Ronning was invisible.

Great to see your reports again, I always enjoy reading ‘em.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SECOND PERIOD

Lindgren with a blocked shot.

Nieves is a hard worker, just not a ton of offensive talent.

Vinni stopped on a big save.

Lias with a nice pass to Ronning who fires a booming shot.

Ronning with another chance later in the shift.

Shot blocked by Fogarty.

Lindgren is overrated as a prospect.

Good forecheck pressure by Vinni.

Chytil tries to make plays, but fails more than he succeeds. Was better earlier in the year.

SCORE: Bird around the net, save, rebound, baseball single and in. 1-0.

SCORE: Helgesen, who should be nowhere near the AHL, couldn't figure out how to receive a short, slow pass, looking really embarrassing out there. Low-end beer league play. Short breakaway, rebound, in. 2-0.

Geo is not an NHL goalie because like most good AHL goalies who can't make the NHL, he can't eat the puck properly and allows too many rebounds. Also needs to work on his consistency, a problem for most AHL goalies. Those 2 factors is what separates NHL goalies from AHL goalies.

Chytil undressed defensively 1-on-1.

Shooting practice for the Birds. In the last 7.5 minutes, 15 shots by the Birds and one by the Pack.

Good work by Fontaine skating with the puck, stickhandling with it and then getting himself a shot.

Ronning actually trying on defense, but he's looking like one of the team's lesser player's so far. Of course, it's only his first AHL game this season and only the 13th pro game of his life.

Fontaine is one of those players people always think will make it as a bottom-6 guy, but they almost never do.

Geo save on a 2-on-1.

Not a good period for Chytil.

Hard shot blocked by Craw.

A Bird skates around Helgesen like he's an orange cone. Breakway, but stopped by Geo. Hell needs to get sent down to the ECHL asap. I don't understand how he deserves to be in the AHL over Zboro, unless it's just to take a look at him. Look taken, send him down.

Fogarty had a clear breakaway shorthanded, but Lindgren decided to get his butt whooped in a fight. Fight lost, breakaway gone. Looks like Lindgren got kicked out too.

Bigras with a blocked shot, then a good defensive play.

END OF TWO

Reactions: Ola

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
THRID PERIOD

Lias is good on faceoffs, amazingly good for a teen in his D+1 year because most kids his age get abused in the circle. He's not a future 1C, but at the very least he should be a great 3C and hopefully a good 2C.

3 on 1 against the Pack, but Helgesen actually blocks it. Puck behind the net comes out on the other side, a Bird is there all alone, shoots on Geo, highway robbery.

Someone needs to explain to me how Bigras was once viewed as a top prospect for Colorado. He's not bad, but he looks like a typical AHL who gets a few NHL cups of coffee before he retires at 28-29.

Birds outshooting the Wolves with double the shots: 40-20.

Melanson with a good shot.

At least in game 1, Ronning is not close to the NHL, much closer to the ECHL than the NHL right now. We'll see next year.

Big save from up close by Geo, then a save on a big shot. 44 shots for the Birds and it's still 10 minutes to go.

Fogarty playing well, just not sure that he has the talent to play in the NHL. He's already 25 and he's good in the AHL, just nothing special.

Even with all the top Packers sent back now that the Rangers are eliminated, this team is still an embarrassment. Total domination by the Birds with Pack shots coming mostly on quick rushes up the boards, then a poor angle shot with nobody fishing for rebounds. 47 shots in 53 minutes.

Down 2 goals, the Pack apparently decided to go into turtle mode. This would make some sense if they were up, but somehow the other team has all the initiative offensively with a meek effort by the Pack.

Geo pulled with 1:37 to go, but it looked like a disaster waiting to happen as they choked up the puck twice while Geo was skating to the bench.

Chytil, Vinni, Schneider, Ronning, Lias are the 5 forwards, Bigras as the only defenseman on the 6-on-5. Vinni wins the faceoff, good chance to shoot by ROnning, but blocked. Chytil shoots, but high. Ronning with a shot after shot, but at least one of 3 got blocked. For a guy known as a scorer, Ronning should've scored there.

Gropp, Rambo, Fogarty, Pedrie, Fontaine and someone else finished the game 6-on-5, but almost their whole shift was in the Pack zone despite the empty net. I guess the Pack need their best players all out there, and to have 6 skaters just to be even with another AHL team. What an embarrassin s--t show.

Reactions: Harbour Dog and Ola

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He got plenty of ice time and with good linemates, just was invisible.
Just a heads up, that Helgeson kid is straight out of the WHL and it's his 2nd professional game. He was the captain for Spokane these past two years. He's only 20, but barely put up offense in his four years in juniors. Then again, Ty Smith took over that team this year, so it's not surprising that he didn't score as an overager.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
[NEWS] The ECHL’s Maine Mariners Hockey have announced today that they have entered into an affiliation agreement with the New York Rangers.
| bit.ly/2uYHSiN
Definitely makes more sense to be affiliated with a team in Maine, closer to Hartford. Easier up-and-down. You may even draw some Rangers fans to games, as opposed to who the hell knows what in Greenville. I will miss the rabbit carrying a f***ing carrot instead of a hockey stick, though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In other news, the Pack released Simon Denis from his PTO. Giving more opportunities to the kids over the final few games.

Maybe we'll see The Man, The Myth, The Legend, Sergey f***in' Zborovskiy get a call up.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know a lot of NYR fans that live in Maine. Mostly Boston overall, but a solid NYR presence.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Ronning was always a massive long shot to make it... not surprising that he looked invisible when facing stiffer competition. The fact that he couldn't pot one goal in the entire playoffs to me was not a great sign. Although not the biggest sample size, it looks like when you take his space away he's not able to create his own. Won't write him off completely, but I literally think he has less than a 5% chance to ever play a game in the NHL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ronning was always a massive long shot to make it... not surprising that he looked invisible when facing stiffer competition. The fact that he couldn't pot one goal in the entire playoffs to me was not a great sign. Although not the biggest sample size, it looks like when you take his space away he's not able to create his own. Won't write him off completely, but I literally think he has less than a 5% chance to ever play a game in the NHL
He did score one. His line was 1-6-7 in 7 games. Certainly frustrating that he couldn't score more, but the flip-side of that coin is that he demonstrated an ability to create plays for his teammates. Those 6 assists he had in 7 games were more than a quarter of what he produced all year (70 games, 23 assists) for Vancouver.

Also, I can't comment on the validity of him being invisible last night, but it is worth remembering that he played for Hartford last season and went 2-3-5 in 12 games. So, that's some actual production from a kid making his pro debut, who was also less developed and mature. I wouldn't read much into yesterday's game, or even the remaining few. Hartford is absolute horseshit at the moment, which doesn't help anyone to look good.

That doesn't necessarily mean I disagree with you that he's a long shot. I don't know if I'd peg his chances that low. We'll see how he looks in camp--he also picked up some bad habits this year as he assumed the mantle of "The Guy" in Vancouver, so he may need some time to readjust.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
In other news, the Pack released Simon Denis from his PTO. Giving more opportunities to the kids over the final few games.

Maybe we'll see The Man, The Myth, The Legend, Sergey ****in' Zborovskiy get a call up.

yeah he has no where else to go -
Greenville missed playoffs,
their regular season ended Saturday,
assume ZBo, Halverson, Nell return to HWP -
but Halverson may not be healthy, hasn't played since Mar 11
The ECHL - Premier 'AA' Hockey League

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Has anyone else noticed that the Maine Mariners are owned by Comcast Spectrum, the Governor of the team is Paul Holmgren, and the guy running day-to-day operations is Danny Brière? They're basically the ECHL Flyers. I imagine it doesn't make a big difference, these are all professionals, but are there any other minor league teams so closely related, in terms of front office, with one NHL team, but affiliated with another (let alone a division rival)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad