Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Oksanen signs in Finland. Guess the Rangers weren't interested in giving him an ELC and he wanted to to get paid well in Europe.

Wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to NA in a few seasons.

Did extremely well in the ECHL... The answer for why he wasn't offered a contract is obvious then.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
The Philip McRae era in Hartford has come to an end as he signs to play next year in Finland. Only 19 points in 76 games and -29 +/-.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On elite prospects--Hartford deal to Brenden Kotyk--another U. Minn-Duluth defenseman. He's huge---6'6'' 229 lbs. and right handed but he'll also be 26 by the time training camp rolls around.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Here is the official announcement on Kotyk

Played with Pionk on UMD the last two years

Big RHD, but he's an older guy. Getting new blood in the system is great, so I'm cool with this

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here is the link to the Wolfpack release: http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/wolf-pack-sign-defenseman-brenden-kotyk

Kotyk played with Neil Pink

Last year the Wolfpack signed seven players at the beginning of the year, 5 were veteran players and only 2, Joly and Oksanen were signing their first contracts. Hopefully in the Chris Drury regime we will give more prospects a chance.

On elite prospects--Hartford deal to Brenden Kotyk--another U. Minn-Duluth defenseman. He's huge---6'6'' 229 lbs. and right handed but he'll also be 26 by the time training camp rolls around.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Here is the link to the Wolfpack release: http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/wolf-pack-sign-defenseman-brenden-kotyk

Kotyk played with Neil Pink

Last year the Wolfpack signed seven players at the beginning of the year, 5 were veteran players and only 2, Joly and Oksanen were signing their first contracts. Hopefully in the Chris Drury regime we will give more prospects a chance.

I'm all for giving prospects a chance, but the team desperately needs some high-end veteran AHL players to truly compete. If they run with a young squad including a bunch of kids on AHL deals they'll get killed again.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I think June 25 is the day that teams have to offer RFAs qualifying offers. So we should know right after the draft if not before. But would be very surprised if the Rangers do not bring him back.

Has there been an update with Paliotta yet?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I don't think we disagree. But a high end AHL veteran is going to demand an NHL contract. The Rangers have contract space to bring in such players. We can use AHL contracts to give some players like Joly a chance. Three of last year's AHL contracts (Garrett Noonan, Spiro Goulakos and Jeff Malcolm) were older players who spent most of the year in Greensville. I would prefer to use these contracts on a few more younger players like Joly to see if one or more develops.

I'm all for giving prospects a chance, but the team desperately needs some high-end veteran AHL players to truly compete. If they run with a young squad including a bunch of kids on AHL deals they'll get killed again.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK, there aren't that many guys out there that would take an AHL deal with legitimate NHL aspirations. You can find quality AHL players on AHL contracts. We have all our young defensemen in Hartford plus Leedahl, Gropp, possibly Fontaine, Gettinger and Ronning, Lettieri, Fogarty, Kovacs, and Nieves. You can also throw in Tambellini and maybe Stromwall. They have enough space tied up in youth. They need to fill that roster out with good players, not developmental players. I'm open to Joly but beyond that I want veterans.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think June 25 is the day that teams have to offer RFAs qualifying offers. So we should know right after the draft if not before. But would be very surprised if the Rangers do not bring (Paliotta) back.

I suspect Donnay might be the only RFA not-QA'd -
maybe Pirri at NHL level,
and a lot of you guys think Skapski might be set free

Full RFA list:
Zib, Lindberg, Fast, Pirri, Puempel, Clendnening,
Jensen, Paliotta, Beck, Catenacci, Skapski, Donnay

RE the AHL veteran role - Beck, Kampfer to start

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I suspect Donnay might be the only RFA not-QA'd -
maybe Pirri at NHL level,
and a lot of you guys think Skapski might be set free

Full RFA list:
Zib, Lindberg, Fast, Pirri, Puempel, Clendnening,
Jensen, Paliotta, Beck, Catenacci, Skapski, Donnay

RE the AHL veteran role - Beck, Kampfer to start

Donnas gone. Don't think we qualify Pirri on the riser to 1.2. If he doesn't get any bites, I'd take him back for a mil. Losing Hellberg stinks but with Huska, Nell, Shesty, Halvy, etc, we'll move on from Skapski and get a AAAA gk instead. Thought Jensen moved to KHL for some reason, but we should sign the rest. I have a good feeling about Clend and Pumps and Paliotta

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Keith McCambridge announced as the new HC for Wolf Pack. Was an assistant this past season and was the HC for Jets AHL affiliation for 5 years before that.

Don't know much more then that about him though.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Keith McCambridge announced as the new HC for Wolf Pack. Was an assistant this past season and was the HC for Jets AHL affiliation for 5 years before that.

Don't know much more then that about him though.

He was in the Bruins organization when Gordie Clark was the head scout there, he was an assistant coach under Scott Arniel in Manitoba.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Could be a double edged sword here. I see both pros and cons.

Really, it just depends on how much the players buy into his system. Which, I guess, is a big question at all levels, even in the NHL.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Could be a double edged sword here. I see both pros and cons.

Really, it just depends on how much the players buy into his system. Which, I guess, is a big question at all levels, even in the NHL.

Yeah, i'm trying not to read too much into this, but something about that first tweet just rubbed me the wrong way.
It's not like it was a quote so let's give him the benefit of a doubt for a bit i guess :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm more interested in what the roster looks like right now than I am about what McCambridge will do.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'm more interested in what the roster looks like right now than I am about what McCambridge will do.

Definitely need some good vets in there. One top level AHL C and one top level AHL D-man at the minimum, talking elite AHLers here.
Guess that's on Rangers to fix though, can't get those players on AHL deals.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Definitely need some good vets in there ... one top level AHL D-man at the minimum, talking elite AHLers here

i sort disgaree about the D, only because with Kampfer, Paliotta, Graves there already, want to have ice time for Pionk, Gilmour, Pedrie, Zbo, Day, maybe sometimes Bereglazov

but you gotta wonder if this leads to bringing back Summers, Keith gave hime tons of icetime last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad