Confirmed with Link: Minor League Signings Thread

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
All seem like solid pickups. I assume Miska would be the Cannata replacement. Sakic said on the conference call they're looking for a true #3 who could be called up the NHL when there's injuries.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tynan and Megna are your AHL vets to help the depth of the Eagles up front. I actually think Tynan will earn a NHL shot one day. He's a damn good player. Miska is ECHL depth who will fight with a future ELC for the starting job in Utah. The #3G spot is an interesting one... you'd love an experienced NHL guy like Neuvirth/Johnson, but probably isn't realistic they sign for that role. Stolaz/Tokarski seem like prime guys for the #3 spot.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Huh, TJ Tynan eh? I wonder where he's played before.....*clicks on his eliteprospects link*

tenor.gif

GM MacFarland just can't help himself when it comes to former CBJ's.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If we can't find an NHL-experienced guy to be the #3, I'd be in favor of trading for one of Shane Starrett (6'5 194, EDM) or Mikail Berin (6'2" 163 WPG). Both are waivers-exempt and both have had success already in AHL. Edmonton already has 4 minor league goalies signed, and all are younger and higher drafted than Starrett. Winnipeg has Comrie to be their AHL starter (if he makes it through waivers).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With Mrazek signed to a group that already included Reimer, Helvig, Booth, Forsberg, and Nedeljkovic, perhaps we should acquire Reimer (and his $3.4m 2 year cap hit), along with a couple of decent picks... After all, if our roster is set for this season we might as well use any excess capspace to gain assets if we can, like a 2nd + 3rd pick for taking Reimer off their hands.

Making reasonable estimates, our capspace after RFA's should come in at around $5m...

Rantanen - $9.5m
Zadorov - $4m
Burakovsky - $3.25m
Compher - $3m
Kamenev - $1m
Greer - $1m
Graves - $1m
Total: $23.25m
Current cap: $27.15m
Space: $4.4m
... but it could feasibly be even higher than $5m if Greer and/or Barberio/Graves aren't retained.

Also worth noting that next summer another $4.25m can be added to our capspace due to the $2.75m Barrie retention and $1.5m Orpik coming off the books. Which would put the capspace available to sign Jost/Francouz/Girard at around £10m (before even factoring in Nieto and Wilson's expiring contracts replaced by ELC's in Bowers/Kaut)

Point being, we clearly have plenty of cap room for the next two seasons, so, rather than just leaving the space unused we might as well get value from it in the meantime... while also filling that No.3 goalie role of course.

Sakic has already shown twice that he's keen to weaponise the extra capspace in trades, but in this case it would make sense to tie up our own RFA's before taking on a cap dumps. As it happens, Sakic did briefly mention today that the No.3 goalie could be something that gets solved later in the offseason (when goalie and roster situations become more clear after camps), so taking cap dumps and picks it might be something he's open to doing once he's got his guys signed.

Reactions: Foxtail

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've advocated for Reimer for a while now...

We can take on that salary pretty easily for the next 2 years. And he'd make for a fantastic #3. Though I wonder if he'd actually report to the Eagles and play in the AHL.

Plus we could probably get a couple of 3rds from the Canes for taking Reimer. They have 3 as of right now.

Reactions: Richard88

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Weren't we rumoured to be interested in Reimer during the same deadline we made that horrendous Berra trade?

He's 100% gonna be an Av at some point.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Um, no, Reimer would be a very, very bad bet. And I'm actually a bit of a fan. Injuries are the reason his NHL career has run aground. I mean, this team just moved on from an injury-riddled goalie, you want them to take on a guy who never even had the peaks that Varly had but likely just as fragile!?

Honestly, and I'm not saying they should go out and get him, but bringing in Scott Darling on a minor-league PTO would make more sense than trying to prop up Reimer in the minors. And again, I want nothing to do with Darling while he tries and get his shit together.

Bottom line, if you're gonna go with a vet, pick someone with a better health track record.

If indeed you want a good AHL vet who, in a pinch, can play in the bigs, I would take a look at Harri Sateri. Last I heard he was still available.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I like TJ Tynan, I scouted him pretty heavily a few years ago.

Hunter Miska seems like a good fifth goalie to have bouncing between ECHL/AHL considering his age and what he has done so far.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
No. 3 goalie options:

Trade for: Reimer/Forsberg

Sign:
Eddie Pasquale
Dustin Tokarski
Scott Darling
Mike McKenna (Is he still playing?)

So not bad but not great. Would have liked Stolarz or McIntyre but the options remaining aren't terrible. Rather they're just your typical no. 3 goalies, you don't want them playing in the NHL if you can help it. Honestly I'd be inquiring Carolina about Forsberg.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
No. 3 goalie options:

Trade for: Reimer/Forsberg

Sign:
Eddie Pasquale
Dustin Tokarski
Scott Darling
Mike McKenna (Is he still playing?)

So not bad but not great. Would have liked Stolarz or McIntyre but the options remaining aren't terrible. Rather they're just your typical no. 3 goalies, you don't want them playing in the NHL if you can help it. Honestly I'd be inquiring Carolina about Forsberg.

Darling would be my #1 choice. He's clearly not a NHL starter, but he's shown he can be an elite back-up and an elite AHL starter if he can gain his confidence back.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Darling would be a good move, IMO. He's easy to pass through waivers, and at least has NHL experience if a disaster happens.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I was wondering about him too. Problem there is that he's missed an entire year of hockey and his last season in the NHL to date was severely marred by concussions.

Darling would be a good move, IMO. He's easy to pass through waivers, and at least has NHL experience if a disaster happens.

I wouldn't mind seeing a guy who's clearly struggling on and off the ice find his way again, but I honestly don't know how far it went off the rails after he requested a leave of absence from the AHL. Whatever the case, hope he's okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad