Minor League Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am curious to hear what the forum thinks on the pending NHL goalie equipment changes, and the impact that they will have on minor hockey goalies. If the move to bring in smaller pads (11" maximum), trappers, and blockers takes affect, then you can be sure that the minor leagues will be impacted in a huge way.

As a father of a young goalie, I hope that the minor leagues do not adopt this policy right away. Think about the cost to replace pads and gloves! I estimate that the average loss to a young goalie would be approximately $1000. This cost could never be made up from resale, as the equipment would be ruled illegal in any association. I would bet that if this rule is adopted hard and fast, that half of the young goalies in Canada will either quit hockey or change positions.

Most families do not have $1000 to throw away. You can be sure that parents will be outraged by any minor league that tells them that the new pads that they have purchased (and or gloves) for their little one must be discarded. Surely there has to be some time grand fathered into a rule such as this.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
I don't think they'll force this rule in minor hockey simply because it'll be way too costly for the parents. Pads are the most expensive piece of equipment in hockey, so I really can't see it happening below the midget AAA level. Kind of like how high level baseball leagues prohibit aluminum bats while they are still used in minor league baseball. Although baseball bats aren't quite as expensive.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
BooBlancRouge said:
I don't think they'll force this rule in minor hockey simply because it'll be way too costly for the parents. Pads are the most expensive piece of equipment in hockey, so I really can't see it happening below the midget AAA level. Kind of like how high level baseball leagues prohibit aluminum bats while they are still used in minor league baseball. Although baseball bats aren't quite as expensive.

Yeah, I play house league and I can't imagine them enforcing this rule at all...I just bought 3 grand of equipment last year, if they tell us to buy new stuff, they'll all be playing in a league without goalies.

I think that it will be phased in, and within say 10 years (a good long life for goal equipment), they may make it mandatory, providing that the NHL still follows these rules.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Also, Baseball bats offer a great analogy to the hockey pad debacle expressed by the poster. The Aluminum Bat helps to make the game more fun and exciting by allowing kids with lesser developed muscular skills to hit the long ball. Goalie Pads for kids could help them make more saves and ensure that there is a competitive and defense-friendly game.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I think they'll phase in the rules - right away in the AHL and maybe the ECHL, and into the other areas within a couple of years. They'll do the same if they change the size of the nets, though they might leave the smaller nets for mites and squirts just like soccer has smaller nets for the little kids. Theyhave to. The minor system has been sold to families as the way to get into the NHL. They have to adapt to NHL-style hockey and rules so the kids have the time to adjust their styles and techniques to the new gear and rules.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Last summer during the AHL meetings, the intention was for the new goalie pad rule to be enforced for this past season. However, they quickly realized that they did not give the manufacturers enough time and delayed the rule.

Unless things have changed, the new pads will be worn in the 2005-06 season.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
damoose212001 said:
I'd have to tear them a new one if they did. I didn't buy custom yellow pads just to buy a new set 3 months later. :)
NIce. What kind did you get/order?

Btw, USA hockey has realeased its rulebook for 2005-2007, and they havent changed anything in amateur hockey, other than you can no longer sign a waiver to wear a form-fitted mask (old-style ie. Lindberg/Parent etc.).
However, they said theyd make some restrictions on Jr. A and Jr. B levels.

Im having Brians make mine 11 inches, just because I'd rather be more mobile then have a little bit more blocking surface. Plus, if they change the rules before I grow out of my pads I wont have to get new ones. Also, if I end up playing Jr. then my equipment will be legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad