Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I'll play.

1. Samsonov
2. Alexeyev
3. McMichael
4. Vanacek
5. Fehervary
6. Malenstyn
7. Leason
8. Johansen
9.. Gersich
10. Pilon
11. Snively
12. Sutter

9,999. Whitney

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
The more I look at that lineup the more I think two veteran top six guys are needed if they want to have a big year. There’s just too much inconsistent play from young guys throughout the year to put a ton of trust in them. Still some decent options left like Matt Moulson, Wayne Simpson, Erik Condra, TJ Hensick, Kerby Rychel, etc. Hensick can play center and wing from what I can remember and is another AHL vet that’s been around for a long time.

I’d like them to add an experience D as well just to help stabilize the back end. That’s the youngest D core that Hershey has seen since I can remember.

I’d be in favor of Clark going back to Juniors, especially if Sutter ends up playing wing. Still a lot of offseason left to let it all play out.

If anyone is interested, below is a link to AHL free agents. I use this every year in the offseason and it’s a great tool.

2019 AHL Top 100 Free Agents and Beyond – The Big Board

Would have liked Ness to stick around, but Ryan Sproul is still out there. When he arrived in Hershey this past year, that's when the team really started to turn the corner. He was a solid influence on the D corps.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Would have liked Ness to stick around, but Ryan Sproul is still out there. When he arrived in Hershey this past year, that's when the team really started to turn the corner. He was a solid influence on the D corps.
I think RD is definitely a target for a veteran. Lewington is the oldest guy currently and no offense to him but he doesn’t strike me as a guy who would be a great veteran for the young guys.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Washington signed Colby Williams to a 2 way deal for next year.
July 13, 2019

The Washington Capitals announced today the club has re-signed defenseman Colby Williams to a one-year, two-way contract. The announcement was made by Washington senior vice president and general manager Brian MacLellan.

ColbyWilliamsRe-SignWeb.jpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He may see some games this year but I imagine he would only see them if there are multiple injuries or if the team is really struggling, or if he plays so well that the team wants to reward him. Orlov and Kempny are cemented as the 1 & 2LDs and Siegenthaler will likely start as the 3LD with Djoos an already proven bottom pair defenseman to serve as the 7D (assuming he's back to full strength with no lingering effects from Compartment Syndrome and that he's still around -- he's headed to Arbitration soon). I would think Caps brass will want MF to play top 4 minutes for the whole year in Hershey rather than sit in the press box or play sporadic shifts here and there in Washington.

I think Fehervary is an elite skater who will be very effective in the transition game. He's got a decent shot but his offensive upside is unclear. He's got pretty good size too at 6'2" ~200lbs. Doesn't seem like the most physical guy in his own end but he's effective with his stick and positioning and has the mobility to recover if he gets beat. Plenty to be excited about with Feverbaby.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Will he see NHL games this season?

What are his strong abilities? What must he improve?
Will he see NHL games this season?
Not expected but wouldn't be shocking

What are his strong abilities?
Skating, conditioning is reputed to be excellent

What must he improve?
I'd like to see him be more confident with the puck

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Here is a good month-by-month report on Fehervary last year during his season with HV71 in the Swedish SHL.

Washington Capitals Prospect Review And Forecast – Martin Fehervary

Note: he was playing as a 19 year old last season.

March (the last month) in particular stood out to me -

March

Fehervary has had a good month, gaining a lot more of playing time during the last few weeks. Points-wise, the big defenseman has put up three assists in eleven games. At the moment HV71 are in the playoffs, where Fehervary has been playing a lot more, especially after an injury to teammate Alexander Ytterell. During one game in March, the Slovak played a season-high 24:51 against Färjestad. Fehervary has looked very good, and seems to adapt well to the much more physical playoff hockey. If nothing happens it’s likely that he will keep his spot on the first defensive-pairing, where he has been playing for the last few games. He plays with confidence and isn’t afraid to join the attack. On March 30, Fehervary played a total of 43:13 minutes, when HV71 lost in the third overtime period against Färjestad in the playoffs. He was praised for his performance by the media and one could argue that this was his real coming out party in the SHL. He isn’t the most vocal guy off the ice, but when he plays like he did then it’s hard not get noticed. He looks like a veteran in the way he handles the puck even under pressure. After the season it would be very surprising if he isn’t selected to Team Slovakia in the World Championships, which he was last year. Lastly, to quote Swedish hockey writer Mattias Ek, “Martin Fehervary would likely play in the NHL already next season”. I really believe we are in for a treat with this guy in the future, if not already next season.

Trending: Up

Last edited:

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I think Fehervary gets time this year, but only as an injury callup. Maybe a Black Ace too. But I think team really wants him to develop and feel comfortable playing North American professional hockey.

I think we all get super excited about his physical tools (which his speed and conditioning seem to be elite already) and he is very responsible as a two-way player. But his puck handling, and overall offensive game I think are pretty raw right now. I think he can absolutely get better there, and he will with time, but right now I wouldn't press him into NHL play too soon. This organization has toooooons of defensive depth right now.

Reactions: Futures Passed

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not expecting to see him in DC this year. Probably means injury issues if we do, but would be cool to see him win a spot out of camp

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
HFCaps mods have long merged everything into mega threads for whatever reason

Why merge the Fehervary thread with this super sloppy mega thread that's all over the place?

We used to have individual prospect threads. Every other team board has individual prospect threads.

We will give the people what they want. Does everyone want individual prospect threads and then a separate minor league affiliate thread?

Reactions: GoCaps2004

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We will give the people what they want. Does everyone want individual prospect threads and then a separate minor league affiliate thread?
I personally don’t think that’s necessary. This thread is primarily updates on the guys in Hershey by a few of us who catch a lot of those games. Every once in awhile there’s some tidbits about other prospects but it doesn’t really clutter the thread that much IMO

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

I personally don’t think that’s necessary. This thread is primarily updates on the guys in Hershey by a few of us who catch a lot of those games. Every once in awhile there’s some tidbits about other prospects but it doesn’t really clutter the thread that much IMO
I'm just more interested in getting updates on our top prospects than Hershey in general. While those two topics will merge a lot this season that wasn't the case before, and I found myself clicking this thread completely unsure of if I cared about the conversation or not over this past year. I do appreciate the updates from Hershey you guys give us but sometimes I'm just looking for information/discussion on one particular player.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Idk, I feel like it’s nice to be able to have a way to track individual prospects without having to sift through 40 pages of Hershey talk (as much as I enjoy that too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad