Who is Minnesota's #4 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
At this point I've only watched guys play in highlights, so I'm largely going off of what scouts say. I'm picking Lambos, due to upside. If I were going off of how close they are to making the big show, it'd be Addison, so he's probably next for me.

They can think otherwise all they want, I disagree is all. ;)

I would NEVER draft a goaltender in the first round.

I also used to speak in absolutes about the goalie in the 1st round issue, but the truth is that if I think there's a guy that's a franchise goalie and no other franchise players are available to draft, I take the goalie. I'm not sure I feel quite that strongly about Wallstedt's upside, but I do think he's one of our top prospects at the moment, in the tier immediately beneath Boldy and Rossi.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
This is probably the hardest year to actually make these rankings since our expansion, Boldy and Addison are the only highly rated guys that I have actually seen play in the last year and a half (not counting Rossi’s COVID play.) I went with Addison for this just based on readiness and I do like quite a bit about his game, but Lambos could very easily be the right choice based on the higher potential. There’s also ROR who seems the safest pick of the bunch to have a solid NHL career IMO.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Lambos, then O'Rourke

I would NEVER draft a goaltender in the first round.

I generally agree with this approach, but considering Brackett had two first round picks to play with I'm willing to make an exception in this case.

Reactions: Slotski

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Lambos, then O'Rourke

I generally agree with this approach, but considering Brackett had two first round picks to play with I'm willing to make an exception in this case.
Yep this is where I'm at. Lambos should've been 3rd but whatever. Lambos and O'Rourke should be the next two off the board.

If I'm ranking these out:

Boldy
Rossi
Lambos
Wallstedt
O'Rourke
Beckman
Addison
Khusnutdinov
Khovanov
Nesterenko
Hunt
Peart
Novak
Lizotte
Dewar

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why do you hate us
I don't hate goalies, they're just a lesser value position in today's NHL than they used to be, due to the lesser drop in performance from the top goalies to the next tier below. In a cap world, you're far better off with that cheaper version.
At this point I've only watched guys play in highlights, so I'm largely going off of what scouts say. I'm picking Lambos, due to upside. If I were going off of how close they are to making the big show, it'd be Addison, so he's probably next for me.

I also used to speak in absolutes about the goalie in the 1st round issue, but the truth is that if I think there's a guy that's a franchise goalie and no other franchise players are available to draft, I take the goalie. I'm not sure I feel quite that strongly about Wallstedt's upside, but I do think he's one of our top prospects at the moment, in the tier immediately beneath Boldy and Rossi.
I think the difference in today's NHL between a franchise caliber goalie and one of the next tier isn't great enough to be concerned with, yet the pay most definitely is concerning.
Lambos, then O'Rourke

I would've rather had doubled up on the skaters, who IMO, carry more value.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For a "weak" draft it seems like they did real well to add their 3rd and 4th 'best' prospects within a good prospect pool.
recency bias, also. It's easier to project great things for players that haven't done anything yet. We were all pretty pumped about Sokolov, Beckman, and Khovanov at one point because of their stellar production in the CHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I always treated my goalies with great care, as if they were wayward, somewhat slow, children.

If you get a great one, it's worth it.
Well, I was a somewhat slow child, so I appreciate your sensitivity.

I've got to agree, though. If Wallstedt ends up costing a lot of cap, that means he's become pretty great. For all we know he'll just be a run-of-the-mill starter, and that's fine at 20th overall (but really 19th). At least that's a useful everyday player that makes a big impact over the course of a season. And if he turns out to be great... well, that's a fairly good problem to have.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I was a somewhat slow child, so I appreciate your sensitivity.

I've got to agree, though. If Wallstedt ends up costing a lot of cap, that means he's become pretty great. For all we know he'll just be a run-of-the-mill starter, and that's fine at 20th overall (but really 19th). At least that's a useful everyday player that makes a big impact over the course of a season. And if he turns out to be great... well, that's a fairly good problem to have.
Great Goalies have the ability to save games. It's a huge lift for a team when a goalie makes an impossible save...makes them feel like anything is possible. Almost all Cup winners have excellent goaltending.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
For the record, the lax goalies on my kids teams are a bit off too.....good kids and often funny.....but clearly a bubble off of level.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yep this is where I'm at. Lambos should've been 3rd but whatever. Lambos and O'Rourke should be the next two off the board.

If I'm ranking these out:

Boldy
Rossi
Lambos
Wallstedt
O'Rourke
Beckman
Addison
Khusnutdinov
Khovanov
Nesterenko
Hunt
Peart
Novak
Lizotte
Dewar

Why include 26yo Lizotte in a list with our prospects?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't hate goalies, they're just a lesser value position in today's NHL than they used to be, due to the lesser drop in performance from the top goalies to the next tier below. In a cap world, you're far better off with that cheaper version.

You are throwing too many words at me so I'm going to take that as disrespect.

Reactions: fgobuzz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad