Prospect Info: Minnesota Wild Prospect Ranking - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sokolov, after that would be Belpedio but I don't think he'll sign with the Wild.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I'll take the guy that backstopped Finland to their 3rd WJC championship. Then came out his first year in the big time Finnish league and put up a .908 with the worst team in the league. Proceeded to evolve and improve his save percentage to .921 as a 20 year old on a below average team.

I will totally understand the Sokolov hype. But Kaapo deserves some recognition, as well. I have him tied with Sokolov, but given the premium on the position, I'm taking him.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The next poll will be close between multiple choices, I think.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'll take the guy that backstopped Finland to their 3rd WJC championship. Then came out his first year in the big time Finnish league and put up a .908 with the worst team in the league. Proceeded to evolve and improve his save percentage to .921 as a 20 year old on a below average team.

I will totally understand the Sokolov hype. But Kaapo deserves some recognition, as well. I have him tied with Sokolov, but given the premium on the position, I'm taking him.

What's the deal with Kappo? Is he going to sign with the Wild or become a UFA next offseason?

I'm not really high on any of the goalie prospects, but that's just me. Goalies are just a crap shoot.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Goalies are definitely a crapshoot. But given the current options of Michalek and Vay, Kahkonen is light years ahead. Transitioning to NA will be tough, but his size should allow him to do so.

I see no reason why the Wild would delay or deny signing him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Premium on the position? Goaltender is the easiest position to fill in other means cheaply. It's a valuable position on the ice, sure... but carries the least value dollar-wise because of the extreme depth of the position overall.

I have seen nothing from any of our prospect goaltenders that says they will be NHL players, so they aren't close to my top ten.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I barely paid attention to our draft but after reading up on this Lodnia guy I'm intrigued.

Voted Sokolov

Yeah, I've never seen Lodnia play, but his scouting report has me pretty happy with the pick, and I've seen a lot of people who have watched him and were following the draft say that they were surprised he was even still available at our pick. I guess most thought he'd go in the 2nd round.

All in all, even if Lodnia doesn't pan out, I'm glad the Wild took a bunch of fliers on skilled guys with a question mark or two in their games this year. All they need to do is hit on one of them for it to be an ok draft.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Goalies are definitely a crapshoot. But given the current options of Michalek and Vay, Kahkonen is light years ahead. Transitioning to NA will be tough, but his size should allow him to do so.

I see no reason why the Wild would delay or deny signing him.

Curious to hear more about how a guy with .921 save percentage last season in a third-tier league is light years ahead of a guy with a .919 save percentage last season in a second-tier league.

Not sure what the delay is on signing Kahkonen either but that might be a tell that the Wild aren't big on his NHL potential, even though he's been solid in Liiga.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Curious to hear more about how a guy with .921 save percentage last season in a third-tier league is light years ahead of a guy with a .919 save percentage last season in a second-tier league.

Not sure what the delay is on signing Kahkonen either but that might be a tell that the Wild aren't big on his NHL potential, even though he's been solid in Liiga.

Wild must not be sold on Kaprizov either. Can't bring him over, either. :help:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Wild must not be sold on Kaprizov either. Can't bring him over, either. :help:

I'll take the bait here. There is a transfer agreement between Liiga and the NHL; there's isn't one between KHL and NHL. Thus the Wild could theoretically have Kahkonen playing in Iowa, Rapid City, St Paul or Rauma. They have yet to even tender him an ELC. I have no strong opinion on his potential - a young guy who's a solid pro at any level is a good sign as far as I know - but there's no downside to getting him under contract if you believe his potential is NHL starter. They'll lose his rights next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad