Prospect Info: Minnesota Wild Prospect Ranking - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It's Greenway for me. I think the kid has the makings of an elite power forward if he continues to develop properly. Olofsson is my #5, mainly just because of injury concerns. I mean, you're no value to a team if you're not on the ice, right?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't really care for Greenway or Olofsson that much, so I voted for Lodnia because why not. Was either him or Sokolov.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Olofsson. 2nd pair potential, should be on the NHL team this year. Floor of perpetually injured.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Top line power forward potential vs top 4 LHD potential. I'll take Greenway everyday over Olofsson.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I don't see Greenway ever being a top line power forward.

I've seen him play live against other future NHL'ers and I certainly think he could be a Top 2 Line power forward in the NHL. Olafsson has already proven to be very fragile and not looked that good on TV to me in the NHL. IMO Greenway is definitely going to play in the NHL, the question is how good he'll be. Olafsson has bust written all over him from what I see.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I've seen him play live against other future NHL'ers and I certainly think he could be a Top 2 Line power forward in the NHL. Olafsson has already proven to be very fragile and not looked that good on TV to me in the NHL. IMO Greenway is definitely going to play in the NHL, the question is how good he'll be. Olafsson has bust written all over him from what I see.

Which is more valuable: 2nd line power forward or 2nd pairing defensive defenseman? I have yet to see Greenway dominate and when I watch him play he reminds me of a combination of Coyle and Stewart. The only thing Olofsson has holding him back is injuries. Otherwise he's a poor man's combo of Brodin and Scandella.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Which is more valuable: 2nd line power forward or 2nd pairing defensive defenseman? I have yet to see Greenway dominate and when I watch him play he reminds me of a combination of Coyle and Stewart. The only thing Olofsson has holding him back is injuries. Otherwise he's a poor man's combo of Brodin and Scandella.

voted olofsson but JG did post 8 pts and looked dominate at times (mostly in front of the net) at the WJC. I think both will be effective NHL players.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Of the remaining prospects, I think Olofsson has the highest floor and is the one most likely to have a decent NHL career.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Greenway may end up the most valuable of the remaining guys, maybe he has a better NHL career than Kaprizov even, but judging him on the WJC is not useful. Against pros he looked slow. To me, watching a guy like Lucic last season felt like watching a different era. Size, skill and the threat of violence still have their place (especially on the power play). As the game gets faster, I might be inclined to bet on guys like Shaw and Lodnia over Tuch and Greenway.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes big guys(i.e. Rick Nash) look slow because of their long strides, and small guys fast because of their shorter ones(i.e. Schroeder).

I thought Tuch's problem was more of an energy thing than a speed one. Kunin seemed to have a similar vibe when I watched him in college, but he doesn't have the excuse of being big.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Greenway may end up the most valuable of the remaining guys, maybe he has a better NHL career than Kaprizov even, but judging him on the WJC is not useful. Against pros he looked slow. To me, watching a guy like Lucic last season felt like watching a different era. Size, skill and the threat of violence still have their place (especially on the power play). As the game gets faster, I might be inclined to bet on guys like Shaw and Lodnia over Tuch and Greenway.

how is that not useful? in a sense, the WJC is the future NHL. you have to compare prospects to kids their own age.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The next poll will be open on Wednesday, travelling for work tomorrow. (Unless someone wants to make one tomorrow)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
how is that not useful? in a sense, the WJC is the future NHL. you have to compare prospects to kids their own age.

Because it's a short tournament that has had many of its best players fail to become NHL players.

It's not a bad thing to do well there, but you cannot draw any conclusions from it at all.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

I mean you have to take it with a grain of salt. Greenway outweighed the average defenseman in that tourney by 30 pounds at least; an NHL defenseman is a whole different story.

to 57special's point, Rick Nash is still a great skater and Schroeder is definitely fast. Dustin Penner comes to mind as an example of what you said about big guys though. Greenway probably has improved his speed. With his strength and hands he only has to get to a certain level to be successful.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean you have to take it with a grain of salt. Greenway outweighed the average defenseman in that tourney by 30 pounds at least; an NHL defenseman is a whole different story.

to 57special's point, Rick Nash is still a great skater and Schroeder is definitely fast. Dustin Penner comes to mind as an example of what you said about big guys though. Greenway probably has improved his speed. With his strength and hands he only has to get to a certain level to be successful.

What impressed me about Greenway at the WJC's was his passing ability. He has good vision, and is not just a banger. It's obvious he is a big strong guy, but it remains to be seen how well that will translate to the pros

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sort of funny, a ton of people talk about a "Big 4" with Greenway as a part of it, not Olofsson, yet Olofsson is winning this poll. Are the Greenway supporters fewer but just louder, or is there some reason Greenway has fallen in this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad