Minnesota Wild Prospect Depth Poses More Questions Than Answers

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
steve_michalek_harvard_032815.jpg
Photo: Harvard University product and current Quad City Mallard Steve Michalek is off to a good start as a pro, being named the ECHL rookie of the month for October (courtesy of Zach Bolinger/Icon Sportswire)

</p>Chuck Fletcher’s name comes up in the discussion for best general manager in the NHL. While his record is not without blemish, and he cannot really claim the title without a championship, the consensus is that he has done a good job of building a contending squad from one that seemed to be running in place. However, some of that success came at the cost of organizational depth.… read more

The post Minnesota Wild prospect depth poses more questions than answers appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Edit: Didn't see it was already posted.

Chuck Fletcher’s name comes up in the discussion for best general manager in the NHL. While his record is not without blemish, and he cannot really claim the title without a championship, the consensus is that he has done a good job of building a contending squad from one that seemed to be running in place. However, some of that success came at the cost of organizational depth. The AHL results have been poor, and misguided drafting takes some blame for the lack of skill in the developmental league.

I think some of our AHL struggles stem from the number of college players we have... So many.

I enjoyed the article - Thanks, Peter. :)

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Edit: Didn't see it was already posted.

I think some of our AHL struggles stem from the number of college players we have... So many.

I enjoyed the article - Thanks, Peter. :)

Definitely true, but I don't think Peter's wrong either. Trading so many 2nd rounders in a row (along with a 1st rounder) did set the pool back a bit, and the whiff on Phillips hurt it, too. We definitely have a lot of future help for Iowa all tied up in college, though.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i believe after 2 more drafts our cupboards should be in good shape. picks & drafting haven't really been a CF strongpoint although i think hes done better than DR. imo CF has been an average gm and if it wasn't for the good fortune of landing parise & suter we'd be calling for his head. reminder it was very convenient we had enough cap space to sign both , makes one wonder. i sure hope our current prospects step it up a bit , kirill seems to be the only one lighting it up.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
i believe after 2 more drafts our cupboards should be in good shape. picks & drafting haven't really been a CF strongpoint although i think hes done better than DR. imo CF has been an average gm and if it wasn't for the good fortune of landing parise & suter we'd be calling for his head. reminder it was very convenient we had enough cap space to sign both , makes one wonder. i sure hope our current prospects step it up a bit , kirill seems to be the only one lighting it up.

There was nothing convenient about it. He's even hinted that's what all his moves leading up to that point were for.

Tuch is doing well at ... Boston(?)

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Ouch our prospect pool has to be one of the worst in the league right now.

Yeah but the tradeoff is we have one of the best young cores in the league. That's what happens when the players from a top-2 prospect pool graduate to the big leagues. Could be worse; we could be like Pittsburgh with hardly any serviceable youngsters on the team as well as having none in the pipeline.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Thanks for the nice comments.

I agree with what's been said here. Not sure if the pool is worst in the league - really do like the 2015 class a lot.

The format of the article possibly makes it sound a little worse than it is too - word limits, you know. All these guys have something going for them as hockey players, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad